Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
o_jinx

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Global Warming: Three News Stories

I found it funny/ironic to see all three of these stories on the front page of MSNBC at the same time:

Warming Very Likely Due To Man, Report to Say
Negotiators also tie bigger storms to warming; other details still debated

Bush Administration in Hot Seat Over Global Warming
"Lawmakers received survey results of federal scientists that showed 46 percent felt pressure to eliminate the words “climate change,” “global warming” or similar terms from communications about their work. The scientists also reported 435 instances of political interference in their work over the past five years."

Gore Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize
"OSLO, Norway - Former Vice President Al Gore was nominated for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his wide-reaching efforts to draw the world’s attention to the dangers of global warming, a Norwegian lawmaker said Thursday."

*huge sigh*
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
o_uber

Am I the only missing the irony? I hope not.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
o_ivaqual

I guess he's pointing out that a politician was nominated for the Nobel and scientists protest about political interferences in their work at the same time.

There is very little to laugh about an issue that is very real but that a few people with money try to cover up because taking care of it would reduce immediate profits.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
o_uber

Oh. Now I see the irony. HArrrrrrrrr

Good find

Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
o_yomamashouse

I think the fact that there was political interference was dumb but I think the irony part need explaining. I thought it was more depressing.

EDIT Ohhhhhhh
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
o_jinx

That's ironic, though not what I was going for, and I don't think it really works since Gore is no longer serving in public office... and clearly things would have been different if he was president. So, I was probably wrong to say ironic.

More just... sad... sad that the guy we put in the White House has been wrong and obstructionist about this issue, while Gore has been championing it even though he didn't get elected.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The whole issue has been pulled into the circus of political nonsense so any real information is going to be obscured or wrapped in the nonsense of that group.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
o_jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
The whole issue has been pulled into the circus of political nonsense so any real information is going to be obscured or wrapped in the nonsense of that group.
The issue is pretty cut and dried in the scientific community. It's just the politicians who do their best to create doubt in order to protect special interest groups that would be hurt by changing car emissions standards etc. That doubt gets picked up by the press, and keeps people from seeing what a strong consensus there is on the subject among actual scientists who study the phenomenon.

Oh yeah, see An Inconvenient Truth if you get a chance. Gore pretty much lays it out there, and addresses the criticisms as well.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Jinx, I think you forget that we're on opposite ends of the spectrum on this. If Al Gore said the building was on fire I'd seek a second opinion. I'd just as soon see him return to his job tearing tickets at the admission gate of the local waterpark.

This subject has been beat to death already on these message boards. Do we really need to rehash it?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
o_yomamashouse

I think regardless of whether or not we have definite knowledge on the potentially harmful effects of burning hydrocarbons we might as well act as though it is a serious threat. We would be solving a few other problems in the process, mainly air and water pollution.

My main beef is with people who drive the atrocities we call SUV's. I remember my friend wrote a great report on decadence and self indulgence called: SUV's, because you're too cool for a minivan.

With that said it is also the large coal burning facilities and such that need to be removed.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
o_jinx

yeah, I don't really feel like arguing about it, either, innoc.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
o_backstaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamasHouse
With that said it is also the large coal burning facilities and such that need to be removed.

Talk to China about that. They're building more each day.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Jinx, fair enough!

YMH, SUV's do have a use and purpose though I'll grant you most people who own one do not buy it for those purposes. My truck is a 6300 pound Chevy Avalanche and a minivan would not have lasted the first year had that been what I was forced to drive.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
o_yomamashouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber
Talk to China about that. They're building more each day.
I think instead of talking to just China EVERY country should cut back. Just because one country is worse doesn't mean everyone else should wait complacently for the number one culprit to cut back.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
o_backstaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamasHouse
I think instead of talking to just China EVERY country should cut back. Just because one country is worse doesn't mean everyone else should wait complacently for the number one culprit to cut back.
Well actually, we in the US are installing plenty of equipment on our Coal burning plants that cuts our emissions. While China has done nothing about it. Thats why I am saying talk to China.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
o_uber

If you think that Al Gore is not a politician because he was never elected president, then you are dead wrong.

Needless to say, many scientist do indeed hold the belief in global warming. What you often don't hear from them, however, is the whole Doomsday scenario often melodramatically presented to us from political pundits.

So, anyway, I was listening to Wangari Maathai presenting her speech here at my school. For those of who do not know, she is the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize winner for her contributions to sustainable development, democracy and peace. But she is also the founder of the Green Belt Movement, whose main purpose is to plant trees in Kenya and also around world, whilst promoting human rights, democratic governance, and the women's movement. She spoke so eloquently, yet also so simply about conservationism and the need to preserve our natural and ever so needed habitats. Nevermind the international pacts, such as the Kyoto Protocol, which, she says, is often signed, but not acted upon. Individual activism, she says, is what will help, in the end. She echoed the idea of reusing, reducing, and recycling that made so much sense, in order to promote peace and reduce conflict around the world. It's a message we should not forget.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
o_jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Jinx, fair enough!

YMH, SUV's do have a use and purpose though I'll grant you most people who own one do not buy it for those purposes. My truck is a 6300 pound Chevy Avalanche and a minivan would not have lasted the first year had that been what I was forced to drive.
Yeah, the commercials for SUVs make everything out to be super-dangerous on the road, like OMG I need an SUV to go get a gallon of milk at the corner store in suburbia! They have their purposes and uses, though. It's just that most people buy them out of paranoia, for status, etc. and it's total overkill.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #18
o_()))crayola))_>

The scientific community isn't decided on this, it's more like it's divided in the middle. Having someone like Al Gore so tenaciously attempt to frighten everyone with Global Warming, it only suggest the contrary in my mind. From everything I have seen, there is no real need to be worried.

That said, the propaganda machines have started rolling. Every other commercial is about global warming. I'm sick and fuckign tired of it, and I wish we could actually understand the issue instead of turning it into political nonsense.
o_()))crayola))_> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #19
o_deadly furby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()))Crayola))_>
The scientific community isn't decided on this, it's more like it's divided in the middle. Having someone like Al Gore so tenaciously attempt to frighten everyone with Global Warming, it only suggest the contrary in my mind. From everything I have seen, there is no real need to be worried.

That said, the propaganda machines have started rolling. Every other commercial is about global warming. I'm sick and fuckign tired of it, and I wish we could actually understand the issue instead of turning it into political nonsense.
I actually tried to check the forum "Additional Info" on Crayola hoping to see that he's a member of the young'uns club but, no luck. So I'll just leave it with:

WOW, Simply WOW.

Last edited by o_deadly furby; 02-02-2007 at 12:25 AM.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #20
o_yomamashouse

Crayola, there is a reason people are making a big deal of it, It is one. This is a potential threat to the whole planet and should not be taken lightly.