Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 02-16-2007, 03:28 AM   #21
o_nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
well after this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
You act like 'top tfc' players never do conc or trick maps. They aren't mutually exclusive. Anyway there's going to be even greater possibility for 'trick maps' with the new movement stuff. Will you be able to port precisely the same geometry of a trick/conc map from tfc and have the same exact difficulty?...in almost all cases, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Well, there's not a lot of drive to consider conc maps yet b/c we're still tweaking a lot of things (like the bhop cap and player speeds) which would affect concing and such similar skills. Since things are set up so similarly to TFC in most respects, I'm fairly confident that at least most of what was possible in TFC will continue to be possible in FF. I doubt you'll be able to port conc maps brush-for-brush from TFC, but nothing's stopping you making new maps for FF

Edit: Damn you and your faster typing skills PHISH

I'm not going to make conc maps anymore...for now
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #22
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
You're going to give up on a basic concmap because a few changes in things? It's not like concing will be immensely new or anything.

If you were making an ffconc_xtc2 or something, then I'd understand... but otherwise, don't give up.

Hell, faster rockets = easier quading = more insane jumps = quadrocket_phant MAY BE POSSIBLE!
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #23
o_thewetmule

Liar quadrocket_phant so is possible!! Its just... j1 is a tad insanely too hard... Also, nod your map doesn't look too complex, so the minor tweaks they're talking about wouldn't make it so your map is unplayable but t'is your own choice!
o_thewetmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Someone ported concmap_r to FF and I was fucking around with it last night. Its still possible to do every jump in that map. You can HH the first and second, double up and make it down the shaft if you suck like me, I had cheats on so I did a 5 conc juggle up the high wall and you can jump the long jump just like normal.

So to be honest, make your concmaps and adjust them when FF will out. I bet you may have to raise the floors a little bit, maybe extend a ledge or two but your basic design will work.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #25
o_nodnarb

If I'm going to have to adjust it I'm just going to wait.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #26
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
ahhh a conc map, the horror!!!!. gj tho, its good
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #27
o_tyrant

Porting maps is lame. Especially if you don't have permission from the maker to begin with.

New map's is the future. It is what will bring back the old skiller's.
o_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 AM   #28
o_nodnarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant
Porting maps is lame. Especially if you don't have permission from the maker to begin with.

New map's is the future. It is what will bring back the old skiller's.
I'm combining conc maps smart one. I am just taking jumps from one to the other gradually getting harder as you progress.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 AM   #29
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
And the fact that he's still practicing and not really looking to steal the glory from any one, it seems ok to me. He's gotta learn how they're made in order to make his own.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #30
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewetmule
Liar quadrocket_phant so is possible!! Its just... j1 is a tad insanely too hard... Also, nod your map doesn't look too complex, so the minor tweaks they're talking about wouldn't make it so your map is unplayable but t'is your own choice!
By any chance are you the famous quad piper?

If so, honor to meet you sir . I remember watching Muchez struggle on some jumps on there... I believe the biggest one was the one with the v holes. And he rapes holes!
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #31
o_player

Nodnarb, you missed this post by Dospac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
Actually, most conc/skills maps from TFC should work in FF as direct brush by brush ports. Concmap_r was one of the tests we used in FF to tweak conc strength.

The primary difference in FF at the moment is the chaining dynamic is slightly different than TFC. A flat ground drop conc is a bit more powerful in the horizontal and a bit less in the vertical, but subsequent held concs while in the air don't provide quite the same additional velocity.

However, the conc radius is slightly increased, and because of this, very skilled trickers can get a significantly larger boost off of them if they time it very well. I would say this aspect is improved from TFC, as the skill curve is just a bit higher in the timing department for hardcore players. There is more room at the upper end of the skill spectrum, which should work out quite nicely.

I'm not certain if mirv coded them that way on purpose or if it just randomly turned out better. At any rate, you honestly have nothing to worry about, and you shouldn't assume that the dev team is so unfamiliar with the TJ community. Some of us have been around a looooong time.
Now continue to create your map :P

Mule can officially boast to his friends that he now hands out autographs, all as a result of a game :P
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote