greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
any pointers for losing weight?

im sick of being the sterotypical fat kid, so im going on a diet, and working out. any tips? BTW, im in buffalo, NY so its snowy here in the winter, which is right now.

Any tips?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
1) Reduce caloric intake (no more than 1200 calories for most people)
2) Increase physical activity (At least 30-45 minutes of strenous aerobic activity 5 times a week)
3) Ensure good sleep (at least 8-9 hours per night)
4) Be patient (You didn't get fat overnight so don't expect it to come off overnight)

Those are the basics. If you limit your caloric intake to 1200 calories or less the weight should come off. Make sure you're sleeping well and regularly. Being tired can cause you to eat more than you should. Avoid refined sugars and excessive carbohydrates.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Free ways to do it
Being active in sports(doesn't matter if your not good), Healthy diet, Running around the block every morning, swimming, etc...

You need money for the following
Gym Membership
Liposuction
Pills
Wii Fit

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
stop eating for a while.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Dragonjojo

Send a message via AIM to Dragonjojo
Try smaller more frequent meals throughout the day. Cut out soda if you are a big soda drinker. If you go out to eat get a water it's cheaper and better for you then soda. If you still want a soda fix try Fresca. It's a coke product that has no calories in it.
Well rested like said above. Get a multivitamin, if you get sick don't over do the working out and exercise.
Vary your caloric intake like once a week. Have a day where you eat more then your normal caloric intake so that you jumpstart your metabolism. I remember reading that the spike in calories helps to keep your resting metabolism rate from getting stuck where it is or something along those lines.
Caffeine is a known appetite supressant but don't over do it and be careful the sources you are getting it from if you go that route.
Make sure you get your essential fats aswell omega3's and 6's. Flax seed oil and fish oil are good sources. Proper diet can get you what you'd get from the fish oil (i forget if it's primarily omega3 or 6) and then you can get actual flax seed oil from like a health store and take that daily. I recommend the actual oil itself since it's cheaper then the pills and that way you dont have to take 15 pills a day. It's really weird drinking the oil though because of the texture the taste is different but the fact that it's an oil makes it weird, really weird.
Look into the Glycemic Index (GI) for people with diabetes it helps them manage the effect of different foods on your blood sugar level I believe. Foods high on the GI scale are known to put a spike in your blood sugar which leads to your body sending the signal that you are hungry again. Check it out it's interesting and simple changes like substituting brown rice for white rice can make a difference in how hungry you might feel later on.

Sorry this is all a big rant. Just look into some of the stuff yourself and like always ask a doctor or nutritionist before you do anything crazy. Everyones body is different and advice on the internet you have to take with a grain of salt.

Try to eat something within an hour of waking up. Running on an empty stomach is said to be helpful. Maybe wake up go running for 20-30 minutes to jumpstart your metabloism and then get some breakfast.

Weight training is known to burn calories hours after the workout has finished so try weight training and cardio. And don't overtrain.
Dragonjojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
If you are not gaining weight currently and just sitting at a certain weight, simply cutting your food intake is more than enough. Limit your portions and don't snack. Don't eat until you are full. In fact, stop eating after you have eaten 2/3rds of what is on your plate. Don't go for seconds.

Lots of small meals is the best way to lose weight. I've lost about 10 pounds this month just from having lots of smaller meals.

And yeah, I'm still eating the same foods, drinking the same soda, and lifting weights twice a week.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Cut out soda (diet or otherwise) and start jogging. No moar high fructose corn syrup in anything.

I've been drinking Green Tea more than soda. It has less calories, it still tastes great ice cold, and it's good for your heart and circulation.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Do crunches and pushups or some kinda easy exercise right after you wake up and right before you go to bed. Do a shitload, until you drop. When they get easier do them periodically during the day.

Go running, or since there's snow around, ride your bike in the snow, around town. Put on a helmet if you ain't a pro- unless you want to crack your skull open.

I guarantee you will lose weight after just a bit of that.

Oh and, shovel snow.

Don't eat junkfood, give it all away. No exceptions.

Drink 8 glasses of water a day. Clear piss is healthy.

Don't eat redmeat, eat fish for awhile. Make sure you eat your vege.

Walk or run or whatever whenever possible. Do not take the bus, or drive.

Etc.

Oh and join the Army. Or Marines. Or Navy.
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
greenday5494
D&A Member

yea, im pretty sure they dont accept 13 year olds in the military, unless we're nazi germany now.

actually, ive been drinking water, and iced green tea (although sweetened), but ive been slipping back to pop. ill try most of these suggestions, but innoc looks like it's the best. thanks guys

BTW, im not looking for OMFG GUNZ ROIDZ WOW! just looking for a non-fat look. if i give you my weight would that help? 180 pounds, last time i've checked, i might have gone down, people say i look like 140. with my shirt on though lol

Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Get a pedometor(most cell phones have one built in) and try to walk at least 5,000 steps per day. First find out how many steps you walk in a day, a sedentary person(someone who rarely walks) generally walks about 3-4000 steps per day. If you don't like to walk, swim, roller blade, do something fun outdoors. Go camping/hiking.

Excersize = the fastest way to lose weight. If you drink pop, stop drinking pop. It might be tough, but once you get over that 3 day hump and start drinking water, you'll eventually think soda = too sweet to the point where you no longer like it.

If you have dogs, go take em for a walk. I always love takin my dogs for a stroll.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
Bunnyhopping
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
One Suggestion: Stay motivated.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
yea, im pretty sure they dont accept 13 year olds in the military, unless we're nazi germany now.

I was thinking "He's thirteen?!" at first.

Then I realized: my perception of kids is skewed by my 15-year-old retarded cousin, the only person significantly younger than me that I spend any notable amount of time with.

I remember myself at 13 and it all makes sense again.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:15 AM   #14
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Consistant physical activity and watching your sugar intake are always good.

A few eating tips I've learned:

Drink lots of water, recommended to replace things like soda or anything you drink that typically has sugar in it. You'd be suprised how much weight you can lose by cutting soda and that stuff out of your diet alone.

It's better to eat multiple small meals a day than one or two large meals. You end up eating a little less, not feeling as hungry all the time and boosting your metabolism.

Avoid excess sugar/carbohydrates. Basically just don't put as much sugar in what you normally eat. Less spoonfuls of sugar over cereal, in coffee, etc...

When you exorcise focus on aerobic to burn fat and anaerobic to build muscle. When running or walking make sure you do it for at least 30 minutes or you don't actually burn any fat. Also, if you're doing anaerobic don't be suprised if you gain weight, and don't let the gained weight get you down. When you build muscle your weight will naturally increase as well, but you're still burning fat.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #15
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Whole wheat foods. Lots of 'em. No white bread, no white pasta. Oh, and pasta. Lots of pasta.

Also, try drinking a tablespoon of Virgin olive oil every day. Seriously. Not straight, mix it into a shake or something. Oh, and fruit shakes. Make 'em yourself. Milk, little ice and fruit and some virgin olive oil. Mmm...

Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #16
greenday5494
D&A Member

what exactly is anaerobic anf aerobic?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #17
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
1) Reduce caloric intake (no more than 1200 calories for most people)
2) Increase physical activity (At least 30-45 minutes of strenous aerobic activity 5 times a week)
3) Ensure good sleep (at least 8-9 hours per night)
4) Be patient (You didn't get fat overnight so don't expect it to come off overnight)

Those are the basics. If you limit your caloric intake to 1200 calories or less the weight should come off. Make sure you're sleeping well and regularly. Being tired can cause you to eat more than you should. Avoid refined sugars and excessive carbohydrates.
1200???

Do you want him to starve? Jesus H. Christ that is low.

Greenday,
Join a gym
Lift weights
Avoid high sugar and high fat foods
Increase NEPA - Non Exercise Physical Activity ie... walking, cleaning house, yard work...
Don't over-analyze this. Just make some simple lifestyle changes.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #18
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
1200???

Do you want him to starve? Jesus H. Christ that is low
You're dealing with a dramatically slowed metabolism if you have someone that's classifying themselves as "fat". 1200 is plenty for someone in that state as they aren't metabolizing what they eat already. Once you get your body used to that level of intake you'd be surprised how little food you really need....and you will cut weight.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Wait.... you live in NY? Shit.... take a cab/bus down to Queens, and stroll through some of the rougher neighborhoods. You will lose weight quicker than shit by dodging bullets, gang members, muggers, etc.

Seriously.... how BAD do you want to lose it? My step-son lost almost 30 pounds in 2 weeks by a high-tempo work environment, and eating nothing but 1 can of tuna per meal.
(he was 23, though....and fairly bulky anyway. Some fat, but a good amount of muscule as well.)

Me? I used to ride a bicycle everywhere when I was your age. By the time I was 24, I was riding 70 miles per day(not a joke, or an exageration)....and I was a smoker(ok, that was the stupid part of it). I quit smoking about 16 months ago, and gained nearly 60 pounds, which I am still trying to get rid of. Being overweight has helped me develop early arthritis in my ankles(aided by many sprains), knees, lower back, neck, elbows and fingers. The later 3 were indirectly, but still, it was a contributer. Even when I was "in shape", I was overweight for my frame. You are still growing...so work on your metabolism(as others have said).
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #20
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
The two basic steps have been repeated over and over.

Eat less, and better. (cut the sugar)

Exercise. Lifting weights is good for building muscle, but not so great for losing weight unless you're doing circuit training or something similar. I'd reccommend running, just start with what you can do now and push yourself to run a little farther and a little faster next time. If you get winded running, slow the pace but dont stop until you reach your goal. Then you can decide if you want to call it, or go a few extra miles.

Nukem's got a great point: stay motivated.