Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
New Install -- Success... and then another RMA

I've put together my new box, made all the connections, and it won't power up. I don't know if it's the power supply or the mobo, and was hoping someone would have a suggestion on how to narrow it down.

The power supply fan does not come on at all, but I'm not sure if it needs to have feedback from the mobo to start spinning.

Here is what I've done so far:

- did a 'dirty test', shorting out the green with a ground with 1 fan connected. The fan's light came on. I plan on doing another test with a bigger load (all the fans and 1 hdd) later today. From Corsair's forum site, it seems to imply there is power, but doesn't mean the psu is working properly (at least as far as I can tell).
- reseated all the connections. Twice. Still nothing.

I can RMA either the PSU, the motherboard, or both. But I'm hoping to only do 1 or the other.

Help?

Last edited by SomeOldGuy; 09-24-2008 at 10:25 PM.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
You have an old PSU you can test with? I'd try that with the minimum setup and see if it starts. It's always good to have a backup. Otherwise, as it's unlikely you'd have an old mobo that has the same type of connections(for CPU), next best thing would be to RMA the motherboard.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

I wish I did (and yup, would have tried it first before asking here)... no old psu, other than the one in my current box which is only rated at 350W, has major heat issues. And yes, no spare mobo either.

So is this likely to be the mobo?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Acid Reflux

Class/Position: Pyro / D
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Acid Reflux Send a message via Yahoo to Acid Reflux
Have you double checked the connections for the Case switches to the board?
Double check to make sure the voltage selector is correct on the PSU.
Eliminate all but: 1 stick memory, cpu, HSF, video (if no onboard), one drive and try to get power.

If you are in panic mode, go for a walk or do something else and come back to it.

My last build, I had installed memory with incorrect latency and it caused my system to not post at all.
Acid Reflux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
You can try stripping everything down to basics. Remove the mobo from the chassis, do a complete BIOS purge/reset and then try to fire it up with only the CPU and mobo. Most boards "should" give you the memory missing beep/squawk. If that works then you know it's at least working that far. Then add RAM and test...then video. If everything works then remount it in the chassis and try then. Clearing CMOS after a failure is important as you can end up with a recalcitrant board that won't work until that happens. You can use your known good 350 watt PS to test early on. As you add components you'll need to replace that with the higher power PS. As to narrowing between the MOBO and CPU..that can be tricky without other known good components. I'd probably try to RMA the board first.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Thanks all.... I'll try these things later tonite.

My last 3 builds were non-issues... this is my first "oh crap what the hell is wrong now what do i do" moment to deal with.

One simple question though... should the psu fan start up when power is applied? or does it require "feedback" from the mobo?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
Thanks all.... I'll try these things later tonite.

My last 3 builds were non-issues... this is my first "oh crap what the hell is wrong now what do i do" moment to deal with.
You may want to double check CPU compatibility as well...including what BIOS version you have and what is needed to drive your CPU.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

I verified CPU and memory with Gigabyte's approved list before I purchased, so that (hopefully) is not an issue.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
I verified CPU and memory with Gigabyte's approved list before I purchased, so that (hopefully) is not an issue.
I figured but I just thought I'd throw that out there. I've had purchasing clerks make an on the spot judgment call when ordering and what I specc'ed wasn't available...and they order the same speed CPU...just smaller architecture....no worky...

Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Sometimes, when you plug the power cord into the power supply the cpu fan will move just a little bit, maybe a 1/4 inch or so. Do any of the fans move when the power supply has the cord plugged in?

Also, are there any LEDs on the mother board?

The power switch, where it plugs into the motherboard - un-plug the wires and use a non-magnetic screw driver to complete the circuit between the two wires on the mother board. The two wires coming off the motherboard that the power switch plugs into, when you use a screw driver to short across them, the computer should turn on if the power switch is bad.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
Mrboom

Class/Position: Demo O and D
Gametype: Pub
Did you make sure to turn the power supply on first?

Not being a dick.. Just been there done that type ordeal.
Mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Okay, after finally getting some time to play with it in full, I've been able to get power (yay!).

But now a different issue...

I've tried both PS2 keyboard and usb keyboards, and the closest i can come to a post is the screen.

Here is what happens:

Turn on power, furiously hit the <tab> key (which is supposed to continue to the post screen from the gibgabyte logo screen) and every once in a while it actually goes to the post screen, recognizes the cpu and the memory, but just sits there no matter what I do. I've tried button mashing the <del> key, but that hasn't worked either.

Given that I've seen a number of "issues" already with this mobo (including a wonky main power connection that caused my initial no power problem)... does it sound like RMA time?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Okay, after finally getting some time to play with it in full, I've been able to get power (yay!).

But now a different issue...

I've tried both PS2 keyboard and usb keyboards, and the closest i can come to a post is the screen.

Here is what happens:

Turn on power, furiously hit the <tab> key (which is supposed to continue to the post screen from the gibgabyte logo screen) and every once in a while it actually goes to the post screen, recognizes the cpu and the memory, but just sits there no matter what I do. I've tried button mashing the <del> key, but that hasn't worked either.

Given that I've seen a number of "issues" already with this mobo (including a wonky main power connection that caused my initial no power problem)... does it sound like RMA time?
It could be a flakey motherboard but it's sounding more like a timing setting somewhere is way out of whack to me. I'd strip down the bare minimum (no peripherals except video) of RAM and force lower settings for RAM and the CPU. Test and then try increasing them towards the ratings for both. See if that makes a difference. If it doesn't seem to make a difference then, perhaps, you do have a motherboard who would be happier being exchanged under an RMA.

Edit: just re-read your post...RMA the board...

Last edited by Innoc; 09-01-2008 at 03:01 AM.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #14
Icculus
D&A Member

Do you hear any beeps at all when it tries to post? Your motherboard manual will have a list of the beep codes and what they mean.

When you go into the BIOS, does it recognize your Hard Drive? You might want to try setting the bios back to default (you can either do it in the bios or clear the jumper on the motherboard).

If you don't hear any beeps at all and it just hangs after detecting memory, it could be bad ram. Might want to try just using one RAM stick at a time (make sure you put them in slot 1 on the MB).

If it was a keyboard error, you would definitely hear some nasty beeps and it would display an error.

It's starting to sound like RMA time to be honest.

-Icculus {FYC}
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
If it won't go past your post BIOS screen than I guess it's time to RMA the board.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Mobo RMA'd.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. the new case does not contain a speaker (as most are nowadays from what I understand.) My old case didn't have one either... I'm going to see if i can pick one up somewhere before I attempt re-installation.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Mobo RMA'd.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. the new case does not contain a speaker (as most are nowadays from what I understand.) My old case didn't have one either... I'm going to see if i can pick one up somewhere before I attempt re-installation.
No speaker built in to your motherboard?

Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

There were speakers out (from the built-in sound card) and I had the speakers connected, but no sound occurred when attempting the initial boot(s).

I thought there used to be a small crappy speaker that used to be part of the case, but on this one there was none. No built in speaker on the mobo, either.
There was a pin connection on the mobo to connect it.... but no speaker on the case for startup post error beeps .

Am I wrong in that?

Last edited by SomeOldGuy; 09-02-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
There were speakers out (from the built-in sound card) and I had the speakers connected, but no sound occurred when attempting the initial boot(s).

I thought there used to be a small crappy speaker that used to be part of the case, but on this one there was none. No built in speaker on the mobo, either.
There was a pin connection on the mobo to connect it.... but no speaker on the case for startup post error beeps .

Am I wrong in that?
Speakers were part of the chassis in years past but most motherboards have incorporated a small system speaker onto the motherboard. It's easy to miss as it, typically, looks like a black capacitor.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #20
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
indeed. there should be a small piezo transducer on the board somewhere.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote