Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #61
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR View Post
He answered the question on tax cuts. He said he's already cut taxes: "A third of them were tax cuts, and they weren't -- when you say they were 'boutique' tax cuts, Mike, 95 percent of working Americans got tax cuts, small businesses got tax cuts, large businesses got help in terms of their depreciation schedules. I mean, it was a pretty conventional list of tax cuts."
We've had that discussion before, his tax cut boiled down to $13 a week. Aside from that, telling people, "I already gave everyone an extra $13 dollars a week!" is not a yes or no answer to "Will you give across the board tax cuts?". It's not, so nothing I said was false or misleading uBeR. He did not answer the question. Now, what is also true is that he's raising taxes on Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
The Congressman repeats the question again (not because President Obama asked or because he didn't answer it)
That's exactly why he asked it again.

Quote:
"[i]Here's what I'm going to do, Mike. What I'm going to do is I'm going to take a look at what you guys are proposing. And the reason I say this, before you say, "Okay," I think is important to know -- what you may consider across-the-board tax cuts could be, for example, greater tax cuts for people who are making a billion dollars. I may not agree to a tax cut for Warren Buffet. You may be calling for an across-the-board tax cut for the banking industry right now. I may not agree to that.
What exactly do you see the difference in my inpretation of what he said and his words there uBeR? He's saying that people like Warren Buffet shouldn't keep their money, right? That they should give money they and their families worked to earn, be forced to give it to him to be redistributed in a manner he sees fit.

Scuzzy

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #62
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Good, I'm glad we all agree he answered the question.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #63
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Obama quite clearly answered the question, but you don't seem to think so because he didn't answer it ideally (in your mind).

Last edited by GenghisTron; 02-06-2010 at 09:08 PM.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #64
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

If someone asked, "What color is the sky?" and they answer, "I believe water is wet", I don't consider that an answer. We'll agree to disagree.

Scuzzy

Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #65
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Asking someone if they're for 'across the board' tax cuts is a loaded question. Obama realized this, and responded that he was pretty much in favor of tax cuts for everyone except for people like Warren Buffet, and the bankers. Tell me, how is that not answering the question, and secondly, how does your non-sequitur analogy even apply (hint: it doesn't).

Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #66
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Asking someone if they're for 'across the board' tax cuts is a loaded question. Obama realized this, and responded that he was pretty much in favor of tax cuts for everyone except for people like Warren Buffet, and the bankers. Tell me, how is that not answering the question, and secondly, how does your non-sequitur analogy even apply (hint: it doesn't).
Where did he say that the first time the question was asked? Because that's what I've said above, he didn't answer the question the first time it was asked. The second time he said, "No".

Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #67
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

So, in other words, you're nitpicking? Gotcha.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #68
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
So, in other words, you're nitpicking? Gotcha.
Maybe you don't know exactly what you're defending kiddo, I'll quote it for you. I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Actually I just looked at the text. The first question is classic. He's asked if he's support across the board tax relief. He goes into a diatribe about how people are saying his policies are radical and that he's already created jobs. He says that his stimulus package has created 2 million jobs. He doesn't answer the question, hell he has to have the question asked again!
uBeR refuted my claim that he answered the question the first time he was asked:

Quote:
He answered the question on tax cuts. He said he's already cut taxes: "A third of them were tax cuts, and they weren't -- when you say they were 'boutique' tax cuts, Mike, 95 percent of working Americans got tax cuts, small businesses got tax cuts, large businesses got help in terms of their depreciation schedules. I mean, it was a pretty conventional list of tax cuts."
I have corrected you both in stating that saying you did something in the past does not answer the question of whether or not your willing to do something else in the future. My claim that to get any real answer the republicans had to ask the question a second time, which is absolutely true. Now, unless you have additional evidence to the contrary GT, you're wrong.

I do recognize that you both want to argue over words to distract from Obama's policies and actions, I'm not really interested in that. I'd prefer a real debate over content, but I don't expect either of you two to be able to provide it.

Scuzzy

Old 02-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #69
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

If someone asks if you're going to cut taxes, and you answer that you've already cut taxes, then that's a valid response. You might not like it, but that's not even the point. OK. The point is that Obama rips apart the Republicans and there's no teleprompter there. That's the reason FOX cut coverage of the pretty unprecedented event. They couldn't stand it. It was pretty embarrassing. So you criticize Obama for using a teleprompter, but refuse to even bother to watch when he doesn't use one. That's pretty typical. Exactly what one would expect.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #70
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR View Post
The point is that Obama rips apart the Republicans
Where exactly are you getting that idea from? Can you give examples, because I'm not seeing it? What question was asked and what was Obama's direct answer that "ripped" the republicans and showed them how things should really be done correctly?

The real questions comes uBeR, do you support the policies he's implementing? You support the taxes he's going to raise? Do you believe these taxes will hit the middle and lower class? Which of his tax increases do you support?

Scuzzy

Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #71
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
For all the shit Bush got about being a poor speaker and for all the praise Obama got for being an amazing speaker...

I wonder how the corpsemen feel.
lol. An on topic statement leading to the criticism of teleprompter usage. Meaning one could make a position Obama is just reading and not really speaking when along comes Mr. Corpse Man and Obama hand over the evidence to justify.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #72
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
lol. An on topic statement leading to the criticism of teleprompter usage. Meaning one could make a position Obama is just reading and not really speaking when along comes Mr. Corpse Man and Obama hand over the evidence to justify.
Cough cough Hand prompter
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #73
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
Looking forward to the photoshops of that reading:
"eggs, milk, lettuce...."

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #74
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Nobody should be compared to Palin, it's just too easy.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #75
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
Notes on a hand vs armies of teleprompter IT peeps. lol.

I am guessing you are ASS U ME ing I even REMOTELY like Palin as a politician. oh I definitley I want to **** her but that's beside the point and is a bit NON PC. But then again maybe that would be like ****ing a CORPSE MAN. What is hilarious about Obama is he said it over and over every time it scrolled by on the teleprompter so neatly set up for the occasion.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #76
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Stray, I think what their saying is that Sarah can accomplish with 6 works on a hand what Obama needs Teleprompters to do.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #77
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
If you have to remind yourself to 'lift the spirit of America' then you're an epic failure.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #78
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Sarah Palin still couldn't think her way out of a paper bag, and Obama is just another politican. At the end of the day, does these 'issues' really matter to you? Teleprompters and writing on your hand are the pressing political issues of this time in history? How about the fact that over 17,000 roads and bridges are deemed 'structurally insufficient'?

How come you mainstream news drones never talk about anything substantive. Wow, Sarah Palin wrote on her hand, and Obama used a teleprompter in front of 6th graders! Holy fuck, someone dedicated the front page of People! magazine to these issues. How about the fact that the Fed is basically re-inflating the bubble that they're supposed to depress? Nah, instead we'll talk about hands and teleprompters. After talking about those issues, we'll talk about other non-issues, like Obama's birth certificate and the White House dinner crashers. Do you guys not realize how insignificant these issues are? I mean, fuck. The kind of stuff that you hear about on mainstream news/radio outlets (Yes, Rush Limbaugh and FOX News are mainstream) are non-issues, and would be better relegated to a Political gossip magazine, a political equivalent of People! magazine.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #79
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

When Obama (not his teleprompter) or Palin actually do something more newsworthy then that let us know.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #80
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
When Obama (not his teleprompter) or Palin actually do something more newsworthy then that let us know.
How about the time Obama spoke to the Republicans that Uber's brought up already? I'd imagine that's a little more newsworthy than: "LOL LOOK TELEPROMPT"... but apparently not.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote