Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
World of Warcraft

Who else is a WoW addict? My main is a 61 sub rogue troll, playing on Ravenholdt (RP-PvP). It's slowly consuming my life.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Suite307

I used to play a 70 Blood Elf Paladin on Maelstrom
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
The biggest problem with WoW is that it's so average that it excels at nothing. This, however, is why it is so popular... much like Halo. That, coupled with it generally being the 'first' of a genre that most people play make the people who play it go ape-shit over it... much like Halo.

The PVP isn't very fun. At least not when compared with games like DAoC or GW. The PVE isn't very fun. At least not when compared with games like EQ or AO. The Raiding isn't very fun. At least not when compared with games like EQ or DAOC.

It simply doesn't excel at anything. That, coupled with many MMO's that are coming out that want to copy this formula simply make MMO's look like a terribly bad choice for a game.

Here's hoping WAR and AoC aren't poop.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
The biggest problem with WoW is that it's so average that it excels at nothing. This, however, is why it is so popular... much like Halo. That, coupled with it generally being the 'first' of a genre that most people play make the people who play it go ape-shit over it... much like Halo.

The PVP isn't very fun. At least not when compared with games like DAoC or GW. The PVE isn't very fun. At least not when compared with games like EQ or AO. The Raiding isn't very fun. At least not when compared with games like EQ or DAOC.

It simply doesn't excel at anything. That, coupled with many MMO's that are coming out that want to copy this formula simply make MMO's look like a terribly bad choice for a game.

Here's hoping WAR and AoC aren't poop.
and....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Who else is a WoW addict? My main is a 61 sub rogue troll, playing on Ravenholdt (RP-PvP). It's slowly consuming my life.
FAIL.

Wow is easy to get addicted to. The fact that it's more accessible than most RPG, Family friendly and fun to play is why there's 10 million players playing it. That and a whole franchise of awesome game behind it. But yeah, I don't recall Fox asking for opinions, this is a matter of tastes, which isn't really all that debatable.

Have fun!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Allow me to quote my first paragraph.

Quote:
Please, soak this in. Let it become one with you.

Ronald Reagan

Old 02-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Suite307

Quote:
Allow me to quote my first paragraph.

Please, soak this in. Let it become one with you.
Halo sucks, Wow doesn't.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
yes, it does.

see what i did there? the opinion as fact thing?
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Suite307

i believe i have been pwned.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
You are correct, sir.

I'm about to get back into this with my friends on Deathknell.

I can't believe you suckers pay for it.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Halo doesnt suck. it not great as people say it is, but it doesnt suck
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
so uh, i'm on kilrogg as a level 37 nightelf hunter. what do roleplay servers do? i understand pvp
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Roleplay servers are just that - you're supposed to roleplay your character. Speak as if you were the character in the game universe and such.

RP servers are supposed to be very well adminned to enforce this, but it generally does not happen as I understand it.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
Suite307

That guy likes furies so it's normal to have bubonic plague in those WoW RP PVP Servers.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

WoW's OK, but I really only find it fun because I have friends that give me free cash, runs, and other stuff. I'd never be playing it if I didn't have friends that played it as well. The "fun to time invested" ratio is way out of wack in all MMORPGs, even WoW.

And yeah, I'm pretty disappointed by WoW's PvP. I found GW's way better, even if it wasn't perfect.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
SmellyCat
Darknight

Played on/off with a m8 from college for about a year. Now have an less-than-averagely-geared 70 Priest and a nearly-but-not-quite-twink 29 Huntard on Ghostlands realm (EU).

Now rolling a shammy with some more guys we know. We might have a party of 5 leveling up together (war, shammy, lock, mage, priest). Should be alright.

WoW is pretty much all I've been doing after my exams finished in mid-Jan, and my 18th birthday week finished late January. ;(
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #16
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Roleplay servers are just that - you're supposed to roleplay your character. Speak as if you were the character in the game universe and such.

RP servers are supposed to be very well adminned to enforce this, but it generally does not happen as I understand it.
HA HA HA, I WISH!... well not for trolls really. Credge, you fail at your understanding of WoW and how the community benefits it. But regarding RP servers, they're generally more populated by roleplayers. You don't see much world RP outside of Silvermoon City really, though some guilds do heavy RPs. A friend of mine once asked if we had guild ERPs...

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #17
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
World of what?
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 AM   #18
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
HA HA HA, I WISH!... well not for trolls really. Credge, you fail at your understanding of WoW and how the community benefits it. But regarding RP servers, they're generally more populated by roleplayers. You don't see much world RP outside of Silvermoon City really, though some guilds do heavy RPs. A friend of mine once asked if we had guild ERPs...

I think the overall understanding of my statement is pretty poor. All my statement stated was that WoW is an average game that does not excel in any area, nor does it's averageness really shine anyway. Further, WoW's community is terrible.

The high-end is filled with sour ex-EQ vets that couldn't raid anything in Velious, for any number of reasons, and has since moved on from game to game, eventually settling down in WoW because of its large player base which is driven by it's averageness.

The rest of the game is either filled with griefers (pvp) who have to go around level 30-40sh zones (almost all of which are contested) to get kills because they truly suck at the game... or Barrens kiddies who still find Chuck Norris to be funny.

If anything, the community sucks the life out of WoW, making it less of an experience and more of a hassle. The community is comparable with Guild Wars, except not to as big of an extreme... which is only due to GW not having a monthly fee.

The only thing they got right with WoW was the lore. However, have 5 big pools worth of lore to cash in from (3 games, 2 expansions), it's not very impressive. Of course, almost all new MMO's have terrible/not very impressive lore either just from being bad or from already having it be existent. By new, I'm referring to:

DAoC
WAR
AOC
SWG
DDO

Things like that.

I could go on for days about how average WoW is. Everything from the presentation to the execution. The only thing amazing about it is the player base... and the only reason people play it as they do is two fold:

1. It's the first MMO they've played (much like Halo... or Quake, Doom, UT2K4, Command and Conquer, etc).

2. No other good MMO's have come out since WoW has come out. Vanguard was a flop, Tabula Rasa is super-niche... along with DDO and CoH/CoV (came out around the same time as WoW). EQ2 failed because Sony sucks the life out of things.

The only decent MMO's coming out this year are AOC and WAR, one of which is made for fans of PVP and the other is sort of a wish-wash mix, sort of like WoW.

Ronald Reagan

Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #19
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
[ Ner'Zhul (PvP, PST) ]
Asukalakusa, 63 Human Mage (Female)
Lacrimosa, lowbie (30-ish) Human Rogue (Female)

[ Smolderthorn (PvP, EST) ]
Lacrimosa, 70 Undead Mage (Male)

I played on Ner'Zhul first, starting in the Closed Beta back in July of '04. After a year and a half of retail release, just after the release of Patch 1.9 (The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj); I deleted my alliance toons and rolled horde. Though, I ended up transferring off the server a month later; and then restored my alliance characters. After a year and a half of playing horde, and after my 2nd attendance to BlizzCon, BlizzCon '07, I stopped playing WoW, just before Patch 2.2. Haven't played since October '07, though I'm looking forward to Wrath of the Lich King (Xpac 2).

I'll admit that WoW is the most casual MMO I've ever played; coming from EQ, SWG, PS, AO, EVE, EnB, L2, DDO, CoV, RYL, SB, Ragnarok, and GW, the last of which isn't a fucking MMO and is more like an Online RPG like Diablo 2;...but it is still by no means a bad game...

Oh by the way, WAR plays exactly like WoW; gameplay, interface, control scheme, etc; all the same as WoW, it just looks more gritty and has a severely better PvP system with 20+ years of lore behind it. But that's what happens when your trying to reach a massive audience by scaling your game back to work on older computers, like WoW does.

Heres to hoping that it actually doesn't flop in retail like Vanguard did... and that AoC does good as well.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #20
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

I've been thinking about getting into WoW again...but I'm way too lazy to level by myself, and I don't know anyone to play with. I used to love it when me and a buddy of mine would play, but playing alone is so dull until you get into the higher levels and all you do is PVP, which I love.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote