Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
o_bumgravy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF_Colossus (working title) Movie added!

Heres my latest pics, added 25/1/7 http://www.freewebs.com/bumgravy/index.htm

I did a movie showing my waterfall with moving textures by PHISH.

Last edited by o_bumgravy; 01-25-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
o_yoda891

I love the look so far, reminds me of Troy, only sourcified.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
o_kastofsna

it's got a good look. any gameplay details?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
o_fragile

architecture reminds me of chaos [the map]

Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
o_nodnarb

looks good.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The yard sucks.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
o_alligator

Nice architecture - very stylish. The outside could use some more lighting though (as well as the inside). The yard looks...... FLAT. Keep us update..

Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
o_nezumi

Holy damn! That's what I call architecture.

Are those spheres models or displacements? (I know they're not brushes...)

Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
o_alligator

Looks like a subdivided displacement square to me. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Looks cool. I suggest coverting the columns into props so you can afford to make them rounder.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
o_d3pth charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
The yard sucks.
Dude, I like you, but what was with that post? It was rude and unconstructive. C'mon now. :P

Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Rude, non-constructive, but damn well accurate.

FINE, I'LL BE NICE AND MAYBE EVEN USEFUL.

It looks good, if a bit blocky in places (could maybe be the lack of anti-aliasing). The lighting is way too orange, and when it mixes with the blue things (why are they blue?) it just looks bad. Everything's colored more or less the same and if you don't look hard at it it all sorta melds together and it's hard to tell what's what.

The yard is flat and has obvious tiling. It's in severe need of getting' shit done.

That aside, the style is interesting and it's certainly big.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
o_handzman

Lovin' it. That style brings me back to the good ol' 007 GoldenEye game on the 64. Also reminds me of a similar map in UT2004 called Anubis. Good stuff.

What is the top-down layout going to look like? just a base on each side and a yard in the middle?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
o_yoda891

Guys, he said it's AvD, not CTF. There is no yard. That "yard" will probably turn into a spawn. Unless he meant to say OvD. which would be a wierd way of saying ctf...
Pus this:
Quote:
Ive just done the front section of a fortress so far.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #15
o_imbrifer

That is one quality design, my friend. You have some of features in there that are hard for mappers to squeeze out. All that is needed is some refinement. As others have said, consider making the columns round (use displacements). I'd also suggest making doorways something more than squares cut out of wall - put in some trim, some open door lips, or something. Also, don't be afraid to use gradual angles and staggered brushwork - the trim at the top of the base looks great, but it might look even better if the angles weren't completely vertical, combined with a layering effect. Same goes for some other more 'blocky' looking parts - smooth them out with displacements, angles, or layering.

Excellent start with the textures and design/layout. I can truly see myself standing in there, feeling the feel of the map - and I can't say that for many maps I've seen. Keep up the good work!

Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 AM   #16
o_bumgravy

Thanks for all your helpful comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
it's got a good look. any gameplay details?
I think its gonna be dustbowl style, so what your looking at will be the main part of CP2. The last point will be inside this fortress, i have a design for a final cap, but the twist is you have to destroy a field that covers the last cap before you can get the flag to it, im imagining people flying at the cap trying to destroy it while a flag carrier watches and waits for the perfect time to jump... Ive not decided on what the first point will be like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Holy damn! That's what I call architecture.

Are those spheres models or displacements? (I know they're not brushes...)
As i started mapping HL1, spheres have always been a dream of mine.... Finally i can have a few simple spheres without it turning the engine inside out! I originally used the sphere primitive, but the ones in the pics are displacement which are so easy to do (just subdivide a block!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitits
It looks good, if a bit blocky in places (could maybe be the lack of anti-aliasing).
its made out of block, i havent done any displacements yet. (could maybe be the windows Paint jpeg compression).
Quote:
The lighting is way too orange, and when it mixes with the blue things (why are they blue?) it just looks bad. Everything's colored more or less the same and if you don't look hard at it it all sorta melds together and it's hard to tell what's what.
The texturing and lighting are still very much unfinished, blue will be defending so its a blue fortress, i think im getting there with the blue theme but its still not how i would like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Looks cool. I suggest coverting the columns into props so you can afford to make them rounder.
yeah much of this will be prop_details, i learned a lot after reading defrags new journal for optimizing, this is my first source map. even better would be to use a pillar prop model, but i dont got one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifier
That is one quality design, my friend. You have some of features in there that are hard for mappers to squeeze out. All that is needed is some refinement. As others have said, consider making the columns round (use displacements). I'd also suggest making doorways something more than squares cut out of wall - put in some trim, some open door lips, or something. Also, don't be afraid to use gradual angles and staggered brushwork - the trim at the top of the base looks great, but it might look even better if the angles weren't completely vertical, combined with a layering effect. Same goes for some other more 'blocky' looking parts - smooth them out with displacements, angles, or layering.
I think im going to half-bury the base in a mud-slide or rock-fall type debris, to make it more interesting and make it less symmetrical, both for looks and gameplay, thats what ill have updates on next for feedback. Like i said im just learning displacements and i havent added any yet (the yard wont be one big 5000x5000x100 brush in the final version :-/).
Quote:
Excellent start with the textures and design/layout. I can truly see myself standing in there, feeling the feel of the map - and I can't say that for many maps I've seen. Keep up the good work!
Thanks lots :-]

Old 07-26-2006, 03:55 AM   #17
o_kam

reminds me of troy2 or pharaohs

Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 AM   #18
o_valk

what kam said ^^

and are you going to port high_flag, bumgravy?

Old 07-26-2006, 05:05 AM   #19
o_addicted to morphine

Nice to see a break from the overused concrete theme. Now that you have a them I would strongly urge you draw up or think out a layout before you keep building.

Looking forward to more shots with real lighting. I'm assuming the angle of the sun is only temporary.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:21 AM   #20
o_filter

Wow!

That looks hot, keep up the good work!

Closed Thread