Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 10-01-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
o_imbrifer

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
ff_cjf

Announcing CJF, a remake of CJ2 (which was made for TFC, and it was a remake of a Quake TF map).

Anyhow, the premise is the same as the TFC map. Blue team takes their flag from their spawn and tries to send it into the portal guarded by Green team. On to the Work-In-Progress screenies!:

As you can see, the theme is a desert archaeological dig. They have unearthed a temple with a portal (havent figured out how to make a pretty animated portal yet, as you can see). I'm thinking of making the Red team spawn in a giant blimp instead of that fortress that was in CJ2.. I also need some palm trees for the 'oasis' that is the start of the water entrance to the dig site.

Opinions? Other things I can add to make it more pretty? Keep in mind, it's not even half done, I just wanted to post something because I've been working on it a week or so.

Last edited by o_imbrifer; 10-30-2006 at 12:31 AM.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
o_pigeons

The quality of those screen shots are horrid. What kind of video card do you have? Hike up your settings to the max with AA turned up as well for the screenies.

As for the idea - I'm liking the theme, should turn out really well with the way you are going at it.
o_pigeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
o_own3r

A few things worry me:

The gate in the first picture looks rather out of place maybe have it made out of planks with one or two very small gaps. The gate could be made like a palate with planks either side with horizontal holes and thinker bits of wood in the centre.

The height of the cave in the 4th pic, can you jump with those beams?

Whats going on on that cliff in the 5th pic?
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
o_imbrifer

You cannot get on the wooden beams in the 4th/5th pic. Yes you can jump in the tunnel - the ceiling beams are high enough. The cliff in the 5th picture is inaccessable, so its just got some pretty wooden thingies sticking up.

I'm reconsidering the gate. I like the sides and the aparatus which raises the gate, but the actual stone gate might not do it for me. We'll see.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
o_sh4x

Holy shit man, you should really take the screens at higher res with AA.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
o_donny

Me not likey the textures!
Me think that's because of your video card sinse other people say so.

Me need sleep.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
o_nezumi

The sand and rock textures both look really low res, but the theme is cool.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
o_imbrifer

Update:
Here are some more shots. You can see everything from the blue spawn (which is now a giant blimp) to the new portal, fog, skybox and modified alarm door.

I still have to populate the oasis with trees and other objects and change the skybox, but I wanted to know what you all thought of the feel I have so far.

Oh, and the floating boxes in shot 2 have already been fixed. Still WIP, but I'm getting the feel I am going for.

What I specifically need help with:
  • Does the blimp look okay? I think I'm going to put some slowly-turning propellers on the side, Kirov-style.
  • I'm thinking of populating the desert in front of the blimp and on the way to the door with more props. Good idea, or would it make it too congested?

Comments?

Last edited by o_imbrifer; 10-30-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
That is looking damned nice man, the blimp is a unique touch, add some propellers and its a classic derigible!

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 02:43 AM   #10
o_bumgravy

Wow this is looking good. I like the first picture, and the blimp looks cool. I think some propellers would be ace, complete with a low ominous humming noise from the engines.

How have you got your lights set up with the portal? Does it block light? What kind of geometry is the pedestal bit made up of, becuase there appears to be glitches at the edges...

Also how do you get the rift above the portal, I use the same prop entity for my portal but couldnt work out how to get an effect like that above it.

As for your third point, I think a couple bits of detail wouldnt hurt, even if its just some shrubs and partly buried planks/trees and some wee rocks.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
o_cosides

Map looks nice

only thing.. y allways this dark ? :s
o_cosides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #12
o_nodnarb

wtf are the transformers in the 3rd pick for?
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 AM   #13
o_bumgravy

SNEAKY EDIT! What was the problem with your lighting then? And as Cosides pointed out, maybe it is a little dark... are you using the light_environment settings suggested here that correspond with your skybox? You need to whack an env_sun in too, if you havent already.

Not so big on the propellers though, I thought the gas inside the derigible was supposed to lift it, with the propellers giving it forward motion and steering? The somehow look wrong pointing that way.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
o_imbrifer

The transformers are supposed to be stylish propellor holders, but on second glance they look pretty dumb. I'll probably just make a pretty curvy displacement cone, turn it upside-down and stick a bigger propeller on it.

Oh, and I did sneak in some new shots which have better lighting. /guilty.

I'll switch up the propellers to be horizontal facing backwards and be down low, because they just don't look right worth a hoot right now.

...hoot