Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Am I a bad person for liking this model more than the beta one? :/
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #22
-=Roland=-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Well since the secret's out, could we get a screenie???
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #23
[AE] 5316 *TKZ*
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Medic - O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater Clan
Send a message via ICQ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via AIM to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via MSN to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Yahoo to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Skype™ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Am I a bad person for liking this model more than the beta one? :/

Na, to tell you the truth, I'm not 100% loving my skin for the IC. Only so much I can do while reskinning over an existing skin. If I could just get my hands on the UVW map.... No luck there yet. I'll probably release one more revision before the beta is complete. the one in now was more of a test skin to see how alpha masking worked on v_ models. And the current IC doesn't have a very good _normals map on it yet.

I do plan to keep the orange tho, but make it more metalic looking.
==================================================
[AE] 5316 *TKZ* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #24
Jester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: O: Scout
Affiliations: {NFO} - New Family Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
If I could just get my hands on the UVW map.... No luck there yet.
If you are modifying a skin in the first place, it's already in its UVW map formation.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 AM   #25
[AE] 5316 *TKZ*
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Medic - O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater Clan
Send a message via ICQ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via AIM to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via MSN to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Yahoo to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Skype™ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
If you are modifying a skin in the first place, it's already in its UVW map formation.

Yes, but texture artists tend to go over the lines, and you never really see the original UVW layout.

So when I edit a skin, its really hard to tell exactly where the polygons are, and thus makes it difficult to get re-skins to match up exactly, especially if they wrap around an object.
==================================================
[AE] 5316 *TKZ* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #26
richard nixon

I HATE the new IC skin. Taking off the spare rockets thing is a good idea but the colouring is just lazy. It's just bland and unnatural looking. If this skin was compatible with the 2.0 (havent tried but i doubt it is since the new one has a hacked off rocket holder) I would use this definitely. Ah well.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #27
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
richard nixon always gives the best constructive criticism and consistently comes up with solutions rather than problems. Oh, wait.

If you don't like it, customize it.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #28
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

But he's not a crook!
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #29
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
also the loss of the rpg scope and whatnot are just clever skinning afaik so customizing it wouldn't be hard...show us what you can do nixon and reskin it yourself!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #30
richard nixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
richard nixon always gives the best constructive criticism and consistently comes up with solutions rather than problems. Oh, wait.

If you don't like it, customize it.

By definition my post is helpful, if you look at what I am saying other than focusing on my way of carrying out my ideas, as I see you so love to attack (btw that's just who I am and if you don't like it, ignore it) it would save time of me having to explain myself and force myself to be who I'm not, but I will repost for the sake of trying to get my point across to people who only focus on my negativity instead of my ideas.

Here's a "normal" , not who I am, repost of what you guys want:

The IC skin could use a lot more detail rather than the seemingly bland, quickly whipped up appearance. I did, however, appreciate the removal of the rocket holder and other stuff that made it different than the current rocket launcher (other than the colour). It tidied the model up and made the mod look more polished instead of copy/pasted. I say good job to the people who worked on it but a more thorough attempt at the texture couldn't hurt, in my opinion of course. Maybe some way, other than the colour, to make it look more like a weapon a pyro would carry. Maybe a more prominent warning/flame logo, or something like the logo frequently displayed on propane/diesel tanks, such as this: diesel tank

side note: and for the inevitable "now was that so hard" comment, yes it was, it took me longer to write that than probably every thing I've wrote on this forum combined and multiplied. I hope you are happy, which you probably aren't. But let's end that discussion and focus on what I was trying to say in the first place. Also, after this post I'm going to try and see if I can do better, or at least edit it so it doesn't look so orange. I can't think of any other colors other than the same for the rl. If anyone has any ideas for a decent colour, not red/orange, say so.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #31
richard nixon

Alright finished my ghetto texture. All I did was export the .vtf files in VTF Edit, opened them up in GIMP and copy/paste the parts I wanted from the RL into the corresponding files for the IC. It's incredibly simple and just a quick whip up for myself. I remember seeing a IC skin (for the old model) on FPSBanana, it had a nice logo on the front end of the cannon so I think I'll just use it instead of the RL skin, for variety. If I don't like that logo in the end I'm just going to go back to the RL version but put back put in the "switch" text and make it more like a selectable switch, ala the 2.0 IC cannon. Also I'm going to add the fire/warning logo and try to see if I can't put something original on it.

Anyways here are some screen shots:
My super quick edit:

and Beta 2 version:

Also, I am not a texture artist, computer graphics artist or anything like that. I know it sucks, but my next attempt should be a lot better. But, it is 3:00 AM EST so...tomorrow.

EDIT: seems I forgot about the normal map, which isn't a problem. I can do that tomorrow. Unfortunately the best I can do is fix the problem. When I make my other changes I don't think I can do the normal map for them, since I plan on covering them up with something on my own. But I made it just for me so I'm not quite bothered by it.

EDIT: well I was looking at my edits again and decided I'd try to edit the "HUD" display on the model itself. I tried to put a simple flame logo on it but it really didn't look good at all in-game. So I just put a simple "-" dash instead. For me it makes more sense than just a zero. I was thinking of putting "N/A" but it took me so long to get that flame and I didn't get the idea until after the dash, and I am done for tonight. Also I just removed the entries for the normal map, subtle lack of detail but I really just noticed it when comparing the screenshots.

The Dash looks much better in game, not so much in the screenshot.

SUPER HUGE EDIT: Somtimes I never think and this is what I get for never reading the original post. It wasn't FPSbanana i was thinking of IT WAS THIS THREAD. OP just took a shit on me and made my above posts extremely lulz worthy. Which is why I will not edit them....

Lulz

Anyways, to get this in-game just exchange the in v_rpg, w_rpg, and v_rpg_hud with incendiarycannon

still a little bland so i plan on doing those logo things and switch indicators. these 2 posts have been incredibly long. remind me to stop drinking.

screenshot as a pyro with the renamed OP's skins:

Last edited by richard nixon; 02-25-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #32
MightyLotu

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
the ic model in 2.0 is temporary from what i've heard anyway.. untill they get a modeller to make a different model
but throwing flaming skulls with his hands would be sweet
MightyLotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

you know what it makes me think; i hope someone can do a street fighter theme and do pyro's flame as yoga flame and the IC as yoga fire; plus, the pyro model itself could be customized into dalsim; that would look so funny when the pyro does a ft jump with a world model of dalsim blowing fire
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #34
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
side note: and for the inevitable "now was that so hard" comment, yes it was, it took me longer to write that than probably every thing I've wrote on this forum combined and multiplied. I hope you are happy, which you probably aren't.
A simple:
Quote:
Originally Posted by What would have made me happy
Here's the skin for 2.0: Download link
would have sufficed.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote