Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server/Player Discussion

Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

Class/Position: Pyro Scout Soldier / Offense
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Trying to bring my game community to FF

I am a migrant from TF2 and I am trying to convince the gaming group I affiliate with to experiment with FF, possibly setting up a server here.

We are 3 Point Games, and the community is often highly active. 3-PG is not a clan and is open to anyone who wishes to frequent their servers or contribute to their community. 3-PG is full of players who love fast play, and the TF2 3-PG servers are highly modified to make play faster.

I think that the 3-PG community will enjoy FF because of this, but my initial attempt at gaining some interest only brought in one frequent community member (he loved the game as soon as he started playing).

Does anyone have some advice on how I get 3-PG into this game? I feel it can only improve the pub scene for FF. I am certain that many of the frequent 3-PG players will enjoy FF's fast play and deep movement skills. Getting some regulars into the servers a few times a week can only proliferate into a respectable player base. I'm just not sure how to go about introducing the game to them.
Eon Seig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
You could try showing them some of the youtube videos floating around out there. Unless you are loaded, I wouldn't advise offering them money.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
The video on the FF homepage is one of the best in my opinion, just link them there. if they like it the download link is directly below that!
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
yep, that and have the spec some of the pickups...if they like fast paced gaming, that's going to be the best representation of the game they will find.

Other than that, just invite them to a server, honestly I would say NOT [o-t]'s simply b/c the player base there is going to be more newb and it's less of a fast paced server. I don't say that to attack them, I like the [o-t] guys, I just see them more for the casual gamer than anything.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
Has anybody actually ever persuaded a bunch of their friends/clanmates to commit to FF? I certainly havent been able to do it. It would be a good case study to see how, if any, groups migrated over.

Last edited by Green Mushy; 02-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Green Mushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
I got 6 people i know personally to try it. 2 of them hated it, 1 of them played it for about a week before moving on, 3 others liked it while playing but never played it again without me playing with them.
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
2 housemates played to a bunnyhopping standard. 1 attempted to but sucks at fast paced games (just not his thing).

The two played without me a few times but haven't played it in a few months now. One of which got sucked back to TF2 with all the new achievements and the other just doesn't play.

They both like FF but there's no hook. It's like music, without the hook you listen to it and forget it. Very much a 'meh, thats cool' response. Songs with hooks get stuck in your head and you find yourself listening to it again and again.

The one who got sucked back to TF2 has said to me time and time again that we need achievements (Orange Box). Generally this game lacks a feeling of team based achievement from one map to the next (so there's no feeling of 'I HELPED DO THAT!'). Individual achievements, like doing something cool, frequently go unnoticed too. Achievements do help in that regard.

What's the fun in a multiplayer game if your 'awesomeness' goes unnoticed by others?
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

My suggestion is

1. Make it easier for your community to get ( host or post a direct link to the client files on your site)
  2. Put up a private server with map changing abilities for your regular members.
  3. Discus it in your forums. post the video link from the front page or even better embed it on your site so your regulars can watch it.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

The thing is, there is a downloads section on the 3-PG website that has a big list of HL2 mods, and the FF client and server files are there for download. However, barely anyone goes to the download section so it never gets noticed.

And I tried to get interest with the FF Movie video, but one of the root admins displayed a slightly negative opinion of it. He disliked that the video appeared to highlight frags and making the game look like Quake. In his opinion, the game is better than that video can display. I'm not sure whether that means he liked FF, or the video put him off of it.

Last edited by Eon Seig; 02-05-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Try showing him the first ff trailer?

IMO it's million times better than the trailer on the front page.

Last edited by moosh; 02-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Eon you've played at the [o-t] a lot recently. The [o-t] would be happy to provide you with locked access to server #5 for a few days to bring in your members some night and show them the game. You can choose a select few players you always play with that would be willing to teach them, give them the password, have them help you show them the moves, game strategy, etc. Place a banner on your forums that tells them "Fortress Forever Night!", the name of the address of the test server, a download link, and a date and time to get their attention.

Scuzzy

Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
that's a pretty cool idea Scuzzy...get them all on there some night and I bet they would enjoy it.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

Thanks. I appreciate the interest in helping me. Now my only problem is gaining attention. I'll try and make a post in the "all games" forum and attempt to get people to try out the server. I've never tried to organize anything like this, and I'm not an admin nor do I have any admin experience, so I'm worried about coordinating the event.

I'll need a mostly complete list of rules for the server to add to that post. I want to make sure that anyone I invite is aware of the [o-t] guidelines before they come.

In any case, whatever day I set up for the FF Night will have to wait until after the 14th. From now until then is 3-PG's 4th birthday event and everyone will mostly be preoccupied with the event on our TF2 servers.

Also, to clarify, the players who frequent 3-PG.com's servers are strictly pubbers. Some of them are pretty skilled, but they are just in it for the fun and laughs.

Last edited by Eon Seig; 02-07-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan View Post
yep, that and have the spec some of the pickups...if they like fast paced gaming, that's going to be the best representation of the game they will find.

moosh is 100% correct too.

Last edited by Raynian; 02-07-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eon Seig View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the interest in helping me. Now my only problem is gaining attention. I'll try and make a post in the "all games" forum and attempt to get people to try out the server. I've never tried to organize anything like this, and I'm not an admin nor do I have any admin experience, so I'm worried about coordinating the event.

I'll need a mostly complete list of rules for the server to add to that post. I want to make sure that anyone I invite is aware of the [o-t] guidelines before they come.

In any case, whatever day I set up for the FF Night will have to wait until after the 14th. From now until then is 3-PG's 4th birthday event and everyone will mostly be preoccupied with the event on our TF2 servers.

Also, to clarify, the players who frequent 3-PG.com's servers are strictly pubbers. Some of them are pretty skilled, but they are just in it for the fun and laughs.
We could suspend the rules on the locked server for your introduction night, just make that clear to the players you invite from Server #1.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

I'd be willing to show up and help you if I'm available that night. I'm a decent engy and can show some of the demoman stuff, heavy is kinda self explanatory right now.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #17
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

I am going to have to postpone this for a while. My school work is catching up with me and I have to concentrate on keeping up. I will work towards a tentative date somewhere in middle to late March. I am planning on a 3 day event on a weekend, every night from 6 to 10 P.M. Eastern Time.

Any regulars to the [o-t] servers who are interested in helping introduce any of my friends from 3-PG to FF, simply look for me on Steam and send me a friend request. I will probably recognize you, but sometimes I will not since I haven't yet memorized every regular's name. My friends name is just Eon, and I have a TF2 Soldier avatar.

Thanks and I'll get back to you later.

Last edited by Eon Seig; 02-25-2010 at 05:46 AM.