Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #61
o_robg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Guys, only one mention of Miyazaki so far (well done Nezumi)? He is an incredible director/animator, watch Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro (definitely watch this as the cutest film ever), Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky...

And if you've never seen Pom Poko (which he contributed to), you've never seen shape-changing raccoons gigantify their testicles, then proceed to beat humans with them. And your lives are the poorer for it.
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #62
o_bokko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
shape-changing raccoons gigantify their testicles, then proceed to beat humans with them. And your lives are the poorer for it.
Wow! That sounds totally awesome
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #63
o_nezumi

I just recently watched all of Evangelion, and guess what?

That show fucking sucks. I mean... WOW!!

The middle of the show (after Shinji stopped being a total bitch) was pretty good, with cool action and the nifty plot about the angels and stuff, but then in the last two episodes, for some reason they decided to give up the plot and ignore all the character development done since the second episode and give a big 'Fuck You' to the audience.

Raaar!

Well, I hear that the movie kinda made up for this (I haven't seen it).

I took the "Nezumi: Save Megumi Hayashibara with your giant robot" out of my sig when I saw the end of this show.

I gotta see pom poko. I should see if I can download it. I also gotta see Grave of the Fireflies. That's been on my hard drive for at least 2 years but I've been too scared to watch it this whole time*.

And this essentially falls under the category of anime, so has anyone seen Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children? That movie ROCKS. There has never untill now EVER been a movie based on a game PERIOD. This move gets all the little details from the game down just like everyone always wishes a movie would. Like, everyon'es little mannerisms and inside jokes everywhere and everything. It's awesome. The movie won't make a damn bit of sense unless you've played the game (The movie takes place 2 years after the game ends and they don't really fill you in on the details of what happened in the game), but it's still beautiful to watch. The animation is even better than the Final Fantasy movie. Not to mention the plot, characters, and so on. The movie basically is one big fight scene, but damn is it an awesome fight scene.

My one gripe is that the music is kinda dissapointing. I mean, the best composer of all time, Nobuo Uematsu, did the music for the game, of course, but a lot of the music in the movie is crappy re-interpretations of the game music or original music that just can't hold a candle. Some of it's all right but I can't understand why, for example, they didn't use the 'Crazy Bike Chase' song during the crazy bike chase. It's baffling, but hey. I guess Uematsu was too busing running around with his band The Black Mages to make any music for this movie.

*Because I hear it's just about the saddest movie ever, not because it's scary.

P.S. My avatar is Yuffie from FFVII, for those not in the loop
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #64
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

I didn't like the ending of Evangelion either but there was much I did like about the rest of the series.

As far as Mizaki goes I have enjoyed all of his work but I do not think Nausicaa was the best. I'd have to say that I liked Princess Mononoke the best but even that had things in it that left me going "huh?".
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #65
o_mooga

w00t!
Mooga live to see another day!
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #66
o_tyrus

I have really been wanting to watch Ergo Proxy, but I tend to wait till the whole series is fansubbed before watching it. Which is why I just watched Mai Otome even though its not exactly new anymore. Same goes for Jigoku Shoujo, waiting for it to be completed.

Both of these series seem amazing (of which I have seen the first couple episodes) but the subs are just taking way to damn long! Dammit man!
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #67
o_mescalito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3fc_...27s%20Retarded

no need to watch the whole shit through, ya'll get the idea pretty fast

EDIT: shit while you're at it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0T2g...27s%20Retarded

pahahaha! couldn't end watchin this one it's to stupid
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #68
o_tyrus

I tried to watch InuYasha once and ended up stopping around episode 6 or 7. Just got too boring and yes...Retarded. I wonder why so many people like it though...must eventually get good..??

That second video, although it doesn't relate to anime, it is funny and true.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #69
o_yomamashouse

The Inuyasha series is a about as crappy as the charater himself is an asshole, making it extremely bad.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #70
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, it's pretty fair to call Inuyasha the female equivalent of DBZ.

Near zero character development + annoying characters to begin with = boring!
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 AM   #71
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
InuYasha always drove me nuts because the characters seem to be constantly in a state of flashback, and feel a need to point out the exceedingly obvious to one another.

Was the show originally aired once a month or somethng? That's the only excuse I can think of.

I never saw the attraction to Evangelion. However, I do get a laugh out of it when I see it on the channel guide, with descriptions like "Shinji feels useless."

Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #72
o_nezumi

Rumiko Takahashi wrote both Inu Yasha and Ranma 1/2. Ranma had a single joke that never got old EVER. The show was 6 seasons (about 162 episodes) long and that one joke was funny the entire damn time (The joke being that Ranma turns into a girl when he gets splashed by cold water *LOL*).

Inu Yasha had all the characters doing the same shit for the entire series but it wasn't funny or entertaining. Not to mention that the characters were likeable in Ranma as opposed to irritating, the show did new things instead of the same exact demon fight every god damned week, the characters in Ranma actually developed (although slowly), and so on.

Inu Yasha is like a failed attempt at another Ranma.

I didn't think Inu Yasha was all that bad, but Ranma is still my favorite anime series of all time.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #73
o_tyrus

Hmm, alot of people say ranma was good. I think I might have to check it out. The only problem is...there are like a billion episodes!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #74
o_nezumi

You can pick it up pretty much anywhere. There's a new character introduced like every 5 episodes but there's not much ongoing plot to miss.

But for gods sake DO NOT WATCH THE ENGLISH DUBBED VERSION. It's the worst translation of anything ever.

Hey, by the way, has anyone seen Fushigi Yuugi? It's kinda girly (and all the male characters are just a little bit too pretty) but really entertaining. It's got a suspiciously familiar plot (Teenage girl gets magically transported back to the feudal era) but does a much better job than other shows with the same plot. It seems much more emotionally engaging than a show like, say, Inu Yasha where all the characters are totally stunned every fucking time it turns out someone likes someone else and there has to be a big scene and blah blah blah nothing comes of it untill the very end of the show anyway. Er, so, yea. It's only 52 episodes long instead of 3900, although I think it's licensed in the US. I've never tried to download it so I'm not sure how hard it is to get.

COLORED EDIT: I didn't wanna make a new post so I say here Circuitous gets todays gold star for the following post.

Last edited by o_nezumi; 05-10-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #75
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=191

Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #76
o_theres *nothing* here

I watch some on TV, and I can say that, Inuyasha, sucks, for all the right reasons as noted above.

Naruto sucks just as well, for just about the same reasons too. (I know how many people want to beat me at this point.) But maybe it has to do with the American version.

I am liking Fullmetal Alchemist, it seems a good story, good plot and all that, even though its so mainstream. I'd probably download it if I could.

My favorite, of all shows, movies, anything-

Is Lain: Serial Experiments, or Serial Experiments: Lain.

Apparently, many people fiind it depressing and creepy.

I've never downloaded any other, 'cept Love Hina, which I never finished. I'm fine with that. But, touching story, and good for laughs.

I've also watched Mezzo Forte. It was one or two episodes long, and consisted of bloody good action and two sex scene.
o_theres *nothing* here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #77
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Naruto drives me up the fucking wall.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #78
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Naruto is pretty good, except Kishimoto (Naruto's creator) is a bit too big of a DBZ fan (annoying "dramatic" reactions/pans + very slow story progress). Still, not nearly as bad as DBZ.
Eventually, though, Naruto succumbs to the evil known as filler episodes. Evil evil filler.

Plus, Naruto's english voice is even more annoying than the Jap one, and the english version is cut a bit for violence, etc.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #79
o_tyrus

Naruto was great up until about episode 20ish. Then it was plain good till episode 35ish. Then it got mediocre in the Exam, up through like 80ish. Finally it got CRAPPY, the rest of the series.

Episodes 100-135, I just fast forwarded to see the fight scenes. Really, you don't miss anything by doing that. After that I stopped. What number are they on now? Around 180?

Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #80
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
lots of peeps at school like Naruto
I watch it and it wasn't that great IMO
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote