Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
o__mike

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A dedicated server beta?

Simply, will we be able to run dedicated servers for the beta? because me and a friend would very much love to start our continuing FF server as early as possible

edit : and will there also be a linux dedicated server beta

Last edited by o__mike; 07-26-2006 at 04:49 PM.
o__mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
o_dammage

there will be a dedicated server for linux.
But valve refuses to stick to industry standards (POSIX, OpenGL, OpenAL...heck, they could take lSDL) so that on their boxes only "Windows Blabla" stands as a requirement.

To play FF/HL2 you could try your luck with cedega (the CVS version is free, if you don't mind ./configure && make && make install) or with Wine which is supposed now to load the whole directx library so that theoretically all games should work.
Ah, who am I talking to? If you use linux and are a gamer, you surely know how to use Wine Or at least heard of it

Maybe I'll provide a tutorial for FF + Linux if ill get that X600 working right here >
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Direhit
Retired FF Staff

On The Catacombs forums, MM had said that during the closed beta no server binaries would be included so you would be forced to use their beta servers in order to play (so just incase the beta gets leaked and you get it, your client side files would be useless). Though once the game is open to the public it most certainly will come with server files.
Direhit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
o_nezumi

I've heard that the server files will be available, at least to some, slightly before the client files are public.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
The thread starter meant a Linux server release as well as Windows with the beta.

To answer: Yes. Most of our testing so far has been conducted on our Linux server builds and we will be releasing the Linux server with our public beta releases from the get go. Yay. =)
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
The thread starter meant a Linux server release as well as Windows with the beta.

To answer: Yes. Most of our testing so far has been conducted on our Linux server builds and we will be releasing the Linux server with our public beta releases from the get go. Yay. =)
Whats the difference?

I always saw 2 diff versions, but never knew why, when i ran HL1 servers i rember being able to use the game files, not even a dedicated server, just place the normal playable mod into the proper directory in the linux steam dedicated server folder and i could make a server with it. (had to do that with the less popular mods that only released a client, like the cool Neil Manky mod Underwordl bloodlines)
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 04:32 AM   #7
o_nagash

It will probably work with wine/cedega/whatever I guess, but if your in the beta, it is definately not a good idea to be using it (as far as the client goes). Any bug you find could be related to wine/cedega/whatever instead of to FF.

While on the server topic, I wonder where the "official" beta servers will be located.

One in Europe, one in the US, one in Australia perhaps?

I guess it depends how many people are from where and what not. I assume the above will happen once the beta gets bigger in any case.
o_nagash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
o_valk

yeah i doubt anyone in aus/nz/singapore/japan/malaysia (oceania community) will be involved in the initial closed beta

but if you devs require a beta server in aus down the track, we can provide one/a few
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
o_obvious diversion

Once linux binaries get released I'll be starting one here in Germany (I just moved here from the states). Mind you, it'll be doubling as a Zombie Master server when that gets released.
o_obvious diversion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
o__mike

sweet, thanks for the quick reply and information. i look forward to mapping for and playing fortress forever
o__mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
o_deadpool

its not too early to start!
o_deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Direhit
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
I've heard that the server files will be available, at least to some, slightly before the client files are public.
I'd imagine so, though probably only by a few days. I did several file mirrors for the ETF team when the mod first came out and in addition to getting the files ahead of time to people hosting official mirrors, they got the server files out to people hosting servers, so by the time the mod went public there were over 20 servers already up. I would think the FF team would follow something similiar to this.
Direhit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
o_silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direhit
I'd imagine so, though probably only by a few days. I did several file mirrors for the ETF team when the mod first came out and in addition to getting the files ahead of time to people hosting official mirrors, they got the server files out to people hosting servers, so by the time the mod went public there were over 20 servers already up. I would think the FF team would follow something similiar to this.
^^ i would hope they send out server files first so we can actually play the game when we download it....but im sure they already have thought of this matter, so we should be good.
o_silencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
o_nezumi

Yea, the devs were (are?) harvesting emails from peopel who can host servers.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 12:39 AM   #15
o_lucid

I'm glad someone finally made a post about this. I message one of the FF staff awhile back and never received a response back about this, but it seems that Dospac is filling everyone in. Good information. I will definitely be looking forward to the server binaries! I assume by you saying public beta you mean that the game when released will still be in beta and that the closed beta servers will be provided by the sponsors or staff of FF.
o_lucid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #16
o_friedbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk
yeah i doubt anyone in aus/nz/singapore/japan/malaysia (oceania community) will be involved in the initial closed beta
私?
o_friedbunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #17
o_alligator

o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac

Ignore Dospac's comment; this hasn't been decided.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #19
o_valk

lol, snap FB

thought you were from USA tbh. are u still tfcing and in the clan scene D thought i would have sene you around with the au vs jp games and what not
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 AM   #20
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
Ignore Dospac's comment; this hasn't been decided.
Why wouldn't we release it? It works! =D
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote