Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
own3r
Custom mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Lets not have server restrictions upon release

There are a large number of TFC servers which currently employ restrictions on things such as bunny hopping and in clan servers whole classes are removed such as sniper and pyro. FF will be more accessible so skills such as bunny hopping should be easier for most people to pick up, so there seems like theres little need to disable it. The sniper and pyro are by no means the same as their TFC counterparts so their inclusion in a clan setting needs to be reevaluated upon release.

When servers set up for FF upon release would admins consider not placing server restrictions at least untill the game has been in the wild for a few months?

Discuss
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
GhOsT

It's futile to post something like this. Server admins are going to do what they want. Hopefully there will be enough servers out there that if you come acros stuff like this you can promply disconnect from it and join a different one.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
yes, please.
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I have made a post to this one in our clan members section. Thanks Owner,

Scuzzy

Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Let's just hope ppl won't fill empty servers with bots from the start.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
fbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Let's just hope ppl won't fill empty servers with bots from the start.
Is FF incorporating bots in the game itself then...?

Kind of hope not... I realize why bots are useful, like when a server is always empty and you enter it but it usually doesn't, in TFC anyway, keep people for more than ten minutes unless other people show up.
fbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Fjorn

Personally, I doubt most of that willh appen on release...

Alot of the class restrictions in TFC are to help balance out the game, and unless its one of the beta testers running a server, noone will know said balance, so good server admins won't apply class restrictions are the start (except for maybe snipers, a pub should always have a sniper limit imo, to keep the game from becoming 10v10 sniper wars)

I doubt anyone will have a plugin to disable bhopping immediately upon release as well

Now, as for classes in clan play... again, only the beta testers and devs know how they play, so restricting them is just as foolish as class limit

Last edited by Fjorn; 05-07-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
It worked better when servers were completely empty without bots filling up the space. I'd enter and within a couple of minutes a few people joined.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
iMpi

If i remeber correctly they can't edit bhop
iMpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
allisvoid
what is tfc?

as ghost said... server OWNERS will do what they want with THEIR servers. it is not up to the FF devs what the server owners do with their servers. if they are paying money to have and own a server, they should be allowed to do whatever they want. want a server ran how you want? buy one.
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #11
komat

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
It worked better when servers were completely empty without bots filling up the space. I'd enter and within a couple of minutes a few people joined.
that would work back in the days when there were a shitload of tfc player. now theres only like 300 playing at once unlike backthen 5000 or more at once.

i started my tfc server. no one wants to come in since there are other server that are busy already. without bots no one will ever come in. when FF comes out i will take out the bots. since it be a new mod alot of players will look for a new server to play on

Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
The only people that join a server full of bots are usually the ones that don't realise they're bots.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #13
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
I kinda hate bots.. but what I hate more, is bots with 'realistic' names. Its ok if a server operator wants bots, but I think they should be named [BOT]1 and [BOT]2 etc, so everyone knows they are playing with bots and not being 'tricked' into playing.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #14
komat

bots are so easy to tell. either they have a long ass play time or there ping be 0
no need for having bot in the name

Old 05-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #15
iMpi

One of the search filters for source are Bots
iMpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #16
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbw
Is FF incorporating bots in the game itself then...?
I think so. Dr. Evil has bots already coded and everything...

I think for someone to restrict BHOP in this game they would have to design a plugin to do it first.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #17
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
The biggest fuckin annoying problem is in TFC servers with bots.. the bots aren't setup to leave when humans start playing.

It's horrible when you've already got 5-6 real people on the server and there's another 5-10 fucking bots in the mix screwin shit up. Grr..

I had to go all the way to the 80s in ping range the other day to find a TFC pub server with humans and no bots. Was an o-t server actually. And it was funny cause some retard was hiding the flag on Casbah, and nobody else had developer on to see from the flag messages that it was him.. And I got kicked for telling him to knock of off.. And the admins were clueless! woooo good times!

You guys got some horrible admins, jeeze. :O
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #18
komat

depend on how the server is set up bots will leave

for say if the bot is set at 6

lets say 3 human joins. 3 bots will get and have still 3 bots playing. when 6 human players join. all the bots will be removed.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #19
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Yeah, it's annoying. After 4 or so players are in there, the bots just get in the way.

I know tons of people have in the past and currently avoid servers w/bots. Having it setup like that makes things worse. rip TFC pub scene I guess.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #20
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
The biggest fuckin annoying problem is in TFC servers with bots.. the bots aren't setup to leave when humans start playing.

It's horrible when you've already got 5-6 real people on the server and there's another 5-10 fucking bots in the mix screwin shit up. Grr..

I had to go all the way to the 80s in ping range the other day to find a TFC pub server with humans and no bots. Was an o-t server actually. And it was funny cause some retard was hiding the flag on Casbah, and nobody else had developer on to see from the flag messages that it was him.. And I got kicked for telling him to knock of off.. And the admins were clueless! woooo good times!

You guys got some horrible admins, jeeze. :O
Actually that's not entirely true. You were kicked for language and getting snotty with the admins when they asked you to tone it down. I know because the kicking of a FF developer was brought to the entire clans attention and 4 of the clan members that were in the server at the time explained the situation. Each of them said they reached for the kick button, telling me you were a bit out of control. If you had brought the matter, calmly, to the attention of the admins they would have gone spec and kicked the player. Again, you're welcome to play in our server so long as you follow the rules. Our server is full most nights with people, you're more then welcome there.

Scuzzy