Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #21
Hica

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I think it's kind of sad how little they seem to know about the TFC community and the way we play it.

That being said, I'm getting excited for TF2.
Hica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #22
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Without yet reading over the article, I can say that they are going for the more "newbie friendly" environment and saying "fuck you" to the entire existing community.

As many of you have noted, a lot of the statements they have said here are complete bullshit. Scout is not used on O? Ha ha, well, maybe they have never seen LD| (Last Dinosaur) play. Here, for those of you that have not, check out this video. (The first one is just as good, but I can not find it anywhere online.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...t+dinosaur+tfc

Anyway, after watching Last Dinosaur 2 again (I loves it ^.^), reading the article, and eating, I will post here again with my thoughts.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #23
Call Me D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ghost
Also about 3 engineers together wasn't that good. That's BS. With a lot of the quotes, a couple already pointed in a couple of the previous responses, really makes you wonder who the hell they played the game with and for making the game don't know much about it. They obviously never played TFC with the community who kept the game alive, barely since they abandoned it in a rain gutter on the side of the street. They seem way to focused to catering towards the console gamers and other beginners rather then the long term players who have played the game since day 1 and those who still kept playing it. I have no problem with the newer look of the game, but in terms of game play i can't say I'm overly impressed thus far.

Nothing wrong with some new ideas and a Lil change with balance and new innovative stuff, but to change things up so drastically....may be a bit to much.
especially if the solider is now pussified and you need to bring in a HW to kill a scout...that just sounds wrong...
Abandoning TFC and those who play it today is kind of their plan man. We are a tiny ass group and we arn't growing. While they might find it a bit cool some people still play it, however they are thinking about their next cash crop of an audience. They want more players. Even if they have to cut a bunch of old players to do that. Hell if they cut out the elite all thats left is a bunch of sucky noobs and the conquest for the top starts all over again. There is no super elite that can't be touched. Well kinda yea kinda no but you get the gist of it
Call Me D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #24
Digital_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0c0dile
Believe me if you got aim with a rocket the scout is dead. But no grenades to spam you will have to have rocket aim or youre not gonna be playing soldier. Im not worried about it.
beginners are the only ones i noticed you really spam or have not yet learned hwo to prime. the more experienced or vet players, both leauge and pubbers use them more sparingly. The only time i've really ever noticed much spam with nades is either servers packed full of noobs or on A/D maps ei dustbowl, maya,thecove,avanti etc.
Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #25
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Okay after reading over their review and all, I like the direction they are taking. I still believe that they are abandoning the old community with the changes they are making.

Then again, WE are NOT abandoning the old community, so what the Hell, more players for us.

I am also hopeful that some people will play TF2, think it is shite, and come over to this.

And, of course, here is hoping that FF will out before TF2 and we will get a jump on a lot of the player base.

Moreover, we have the advantage of being, ya know, FREE.

Lastly, seeing as one of the dudes was named Charlie Brown, I could not resist doing this:

Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #26
Nefarious
Gerbils and cocaine!

I think there making a different style game and should not be compared to ff in terms of relating to tfc. This is team fortress 2 not team fortress classic 2.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #27
Agret

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ghost
The way the article came off, it sounded like it removed the whole "learning curve" for skills that's i always loved about TFC, rather then just picking a class and being able to easily play it with ease.
Eh? CS had a huge learning curve, they did away with that in Source though by making the game incredibly random.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #28
qui

A lot of the stuff said is interesting, but a lot of what this guy says about TFC is rubbish tbh.

The whole clans dont use scouts is just... well wrong

Quote:
Our game should be about getting into combat and having fun, so we don’t want to create a situation where people are trying not to get into combat, or they’re trying to avoid combat.
The thing is, hes defining "fun" in his own way. Many offence clanners find it fun using movement techniques to avoid damage from front line defenders fun. I know i used to get a little thrill dodging past rockets and grenades to get to the backline defence to do some useful damage

That said. TF2 does sound pretty fun. I think its gonna be difficult for some of us to comprehend scouts owning sollys
qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #29
groovyf
In the clouds

Just reading this now - talking about focusing on Control Points rather than flag points. Seems many of the maps are going to be like Warpath really - he's mentioned Well being like this. No idea how that's going to work out. Can't even imagine it
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #30
groovyf
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
It's apparently a 2 part ordeal, with that being the second part.

First part...

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...1849.05812.htm
A 3 parter!
Quote:
Tomorrow, the exclusive Hands-On with Team Fortress 2!
Can't wait for that
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #31
Axel Stryder

Some remarks after having read this article.

1) What these guys say about TFC is just crap, they see TFC from playing on pubs and i doubt that they ever played clanstyle like most of us are used too. Therefore allot of their decisions and reasoning is just ridiculous (scout never used in offense, remove grens, etc...). When you look at how they describe their experience when playing on pubs, i see someone playing warpath/dustbowl maps and only a slight 'negative' reference to well.

2) The fact that they made the scout more agile (double jump), is somewhat of a concern. They want to make sure that the scout is a nightmare for soldiers, ok then imagine having to deal with 3 to 4 scouts as a FL sol on ... lets say league maps like monkey, all double jumping arround you. I can see the fun now. I foresee a HW defense if there are no class restrictions on servers . Not even gonna start about that 10 sec invulnerability period the medic has.

3) Ans last of all, and this is really cracking me up. We all know that valve increased the gren radius the last couple of months when they were actually still updating the game (arround the 1.1.1.0 patch?) to the point where it is now. Now all of a sudden they think, OMFGWTFZOR grenades lead to spam! Lets remove them completely (except for medic - conc, and demo - mirv). One would wonder why they increased the radius to begin with, don't need to be a genius to see that larger radius = more damage = more spam.

Just my two cents.
Axel Stryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #32
radio

clans don't play scout? ahahahahahahahahahaha

man what the fuck is this. i understand they are trying to bring something new to the gameplay but... come on. all the gameplay fuck ups and simplifications plus the graphical comedylook all tell that they want to bring lots of new people to the game so they can score more money and nothing else. and after all that the guy has the nerve to say that clans don't play scout and doublejumping is morse versatile than concing in order to save face?

fuck him.

i'll try the game ofcourse before i totally knock it but damn if they are not trying to piss of old gamers with all this. hopefully someone mods it to proper form if it is a big hit.
radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #33
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
so you're on 2fort as a scout. you just got the flag and ran to the enemy lift. OH SHIT, THEY REMOVED CONCS LOL I'LL DOUBLE JUMP.....

i dont think so..

Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #34
qui

Yeah i mean we dont know what double jumping will be like, but will it *really* be more versatile than concing?

Then again, perhaps they havnt heard of HH concing, considering thier attitudes towards scouts in clan play

Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #35
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
they dont know their TFC audience. period. learning curve seemed too much for the masses aparently.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #36
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walker
I have to say, I played TFC today, it’s like when I play QuakeWorld TFC, I just can’t imagine why anyone would play this game. It’s so terrible.
Fuck you, Robin Walker.

This show what this jerkass knows. "I just can't imagine why anyone would play this game"? Well if you can not figure out why there are still 500+ servers going for a game that is almost ten years old, then why the FUCK are you developing its successor you shit-eating monkey-licking cockholster?!

Fuck!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Fuck you, Robin Walker.

This show what this jerkass knows. "I just can't imagine why anyone would play this game"? Well if you can not figure out why there are still 500+ servers going for a game that is almost ten years old, then why the FUCK are you developing its successor you shit-eating monkey-licking cockholster?!

Fuck!
Wow. As an outsider looking in, people like you make me want to play this mod less. If you're choosing to take his words out of context, you really don't hide the fact you're extremely biased towards one game and consequently never planned to give the other game a fair go.

I mean, the proof is in replying to a thread regarding an interview you hadn't even read

The TF2 article really looked cool to me. I have nothing against either FF or TF2, but I do notice a lot of overly defensive FF fans who do nothing but prematurely bash TF2 for being something you don't want it to be. Is that fine? Yeah (well not if you wish to build on your existing community); everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I just don't see the reasoning behind the logic.

Neither game should, nor probably will compete. They look too different. Yet they fall under the same family, and as such can only contribute greater numbers to the "Team Fortress" name and legacy.

I love seeing the developers supportive on this forum - it shows their head is in the right place. Sadly some mods don't have that level of respect and maturity.

To finish an opening post with my take on his comment:

Quote:
I played TFC today, it’s like when I play QuakeWorld TFC, I just can’t imagine why anyone would play this game. It’s so terrible. (laughs) It’s all relative, right? I think TF2 is just better in pretty much all ways than TFC.
(Yes I quoted the entire thing).

He's right - it's all relative. I really wouldn't have taken that as an insult unless I was looking for one, and even there he covers himself pretty well with his relativity statement; he's had so much more time playing TF2, I would expect him to enjoy that so much more.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #38
qui

Quote:
Wow. As an outsider looking in, people like you make me want to play this mod less.
Yeah, because thats a completely sane thing to do isnt it.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #39
GhOsT

GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #40
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
Yeah, because thats a completely sane thing to do isnt it.
It's about as sane as some of the people in this thread are considering they haven't played the game yet and are already writing off the game.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote