Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #141
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
We got the moditis bug too it looks like... That blows, I've told everyone I know to play it and I play it every night I get a chance.

You are a pirate!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #142
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
A few weeks ago when I started playing FF, I could join a game that had a low ping and play for hours. Now, I have to wait untill about 6-7PM EST before any servers with a reasonable ping have players on it.

Some other things to note:

I've yet to see a gather for FF happen, although I knew a handful have. The same can be said about TFC, though.

To be honest, I don't think gamers have it in them anymore to play a game with depth.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #143
Chaotic Llama
L | l a m a f i e d !

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
i think it all lies from within the team ourselves now.. we just to push this fucking patch out asap and remind literally everyone who has hl2 to fucking play the game!
The patch is well over due at this point, I've lost all traffic on my ff server. Whatever you're gonna do.. I'd push for it now. A release of 2fort would be a nice addition.

I'll keep my ff server going for now... I currently have other things keeping me busy

Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #144
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
should be out quite soon

Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #145
Stankyfingers
Kalikop

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Stankyfingers
hope so its 9 pm and about 70 people playing.hate to jump on the "sky is falling" wagon but....I think a piece of sky just hit our servers.....

Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #146
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
should be out quite soon
...quite...soooooon....?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #147
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
Soon as we get close to the release date of halo 4, ut3 full and half life 4: Gordon Freeman vs Rocky Balboa (who also was at the black mesa disaster)

No, really, i guess they are working their asses off i mean making the mod was really hard i dont think they will let it die when they could just patch those bugs.

Last edited by GhostBuster; 10-19-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #148
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Lack of players could be a simple fact that you have to doanload the client and know about in some manner.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #149
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

As stated before, RE-RELEASE in 2 months after buying advertising, testing more, patching more.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #150
PariahMessiah

Just a thought on this. Yes, the release of other majorly hyped titles may be pulling players away, however you are designing this game for the compeition community, the 1% of the gamers that are the big conc jumping bhop experts.

I don't know if many of you remember ETF, designed for the hardcore by the hardcore, it had its small following from Q3F (being basically its another Q3 engine game, they took what was left after q3f packed up and left) that could already bhop through the maps backwards and were designing the game with that in mind.

So when the game was released there was an initial rush of new players and almost immediatly the forums were up with complaints about bunnyhopping as those that had mastered it designed the maps to make it easier (basically enlarged all the maps) making the game for them a long slow walk to the enemy base where you'd get a rocket nade combo as soon as you entered and when players asked for bhop to be removed/limited/server variable they were by and large insulted and dismissed by the hardcore crowd saying that the game was built around it.

Unsurprisingly, the newbie hordes collectively up and walked away and the game died out with no influx of new blood (at least any that stayed around longer than a few days.)

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #151
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
BHopping isn't hard in FF. At all. In fact, BHopping isn't even required to play FF. The difference though, is that BHopping (and conc jumping) give you an edge. If a play doesn't want to learn a skill, chances are they weren't going to stick around anyway.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #152
Coolit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
BHopping isn't hard in FF. At all.
Agreed, in fact BH is so so... much easier than in TFC something I guess the dev's have done to help new players and help to reduce any skill gap that exists.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #153
Mrbbad
tf2.org Gnome Wrangler

I have to agree with a previous comment that the sooner 2fort comes out the better. It certainly will not be the end-all be-all solution, but it will help people feel more 'at home' -- to some degree, it seems, FF should have simply come out with it in the first place...

...though, in my PERSONAL opinion monkey is similar enough to 2fort, but different, that people should be appeased in that arena *shrug*

Anyways...same here, tons of people on at first, now I hear crickets...

Old 10-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #154
Fathom

Well I hate to say it but most of the positive signs for the mod are fading fast. The #'s are still falling, it's a saturday and only 125 people playing.

Been released over a month can we get an update...?

Most people are leaving and going back to TFC (600+ playing it) because the game errors out on them. And a majority have already lost hope i guess.

Disappointing to say the least, I'll keep my server up and support the mod as long as possible though.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #155
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Heeeey no sweat.

In about a year, people are gonna look back and remember this time. And many are gonna go: "hey remember when FF was struggling to get players, well i helped them; i was there through the rough ride."

And the sincere people, who ride this out are gonna go: "WTF are you talking about? I've been there since/before it outed, and I DIDN'T see you on calming people down; if i remember correctly, you constantly berailed on the forums of a doomsday scenario. So STFU and make me a ham sammich. And put cheese on it."

The question is, which one will we be?

We gotta try to be the 2nd guy, because nobody likes the first guy. Because the first guy is like that guy who screwed everyone over during the y2k scare. And everyone wants to punch that guy in his left eye.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #156
Fathom

I'm not one to sitback and wait for things to happen I guess. I see a problem I address it, only thing is I'm only one person. I can only spread the word so much. I can't come up with any other ideas to spread the word. And the same goes to other loyalists to the game I'm sure. I've given out keys for HL2, I burned two copies of FF for guys I work with that have slow d/l caps.

But I hope you're right and we're looking back a year from now with a solid player base and can laugh at this.

I may just be paranoid, but everytime I look and see less players I have to wonder I guess.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #157
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
Heeeey no sweat.

In about a year, people are gonna look back and remember this time. And many are gonna go: "hey remember when FF was struggling to get players, well i helped them; i was there through the rough ride."

And the sincere people, who ride this out are gonna go: "WTF are you talking about? I've been there since/before it outed, and I DIDN'T see you on calming people down; if i remember correctly, you constantly berailed on the forums of a doomsday scenario. So STFU and make me a ham sammich. And put cheese on it."

The question is, which one will we be?

We gotta try to be the 2nd guy, because nobody likes the first guy. Because the first guy is like that guy who screwed everyone over during the y2k scare. And everyone wants to punch that guy in his left eye.
I love you.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #158
Neya

I couldn't be bothered to read it all (lazyness =]])

But so far FF is pretty much like TFC, it's just better than it.

Community members have corrected all the wrong TFC things, and now it runs with the Source Engine !

When I see how much fucking TF2 servers/players there can be.

I think we do need to destroy this world.

That's it, big useful opinion =]]]

Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #159
Digital_Ghost

it also doesn't help that there are still a surprising number of those who do not know about fortress forever. In our TFC servers myself personally i have come across quite a few that had no idea what it was, both before and after release. A few of us had got started talking about fortress forever and one of the other players on the server, would ask. " you mean TF2?" The rest of us would be," no Fortress Forever" We tell them about it and send them this way.

The game just needs more advertising.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:06 AM   #160
yfni_

my idea

as for PR/Marketing since I have the feeling that 0 is being done by the FF team.

I had the following idea.

With the help of the community create a list of all PC gamer magazines/websites per country with their email addresses included.
Just walk into your local magazine store and write down the names...and search the net for their email address.

[country]
name - site - mail
name - site - mail
name - site - mail

Setup some standard letter in different languages in which the devs offer not only to introduce them to the game. But also offer some insight into the relationship with valve, community support and prolly most interesting the process of building a MOD like fortress forever. And maybe some history or a timeline. And also touch on the subject of FF vs TF2. (now that it's still hot).
If possible have them put it on their magazine CD/DVD.

Just sending them an email saying hey we created this mod you should really check it out. Just won't be enough.

yes my idea is still rough around the edges but maybe someone with more experience in this area can work from here.

Closed Thread