Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #21
o_sta_sirtiger

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Anyone who owns Vista as of now is a complete fool in my opinion.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 AM   #22
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

Well, your opinion seems unfounded. Finally got hl2 and Dm installed. WoW also.

HL2 DM runs at 70-85 FPS @ 1280x1024 res, full graphics.

I don't have frapper yet, so I can't check the WoW fps, but it ran smooth, w/ no studdering at full graphics and the same res as hl2.

Total ram usage, with the following programs running:
Steam
DM
IRC
Firefox
GAIM
AV (Avast!)
and the gadgets

peaked out around 1 gig-ish. I noticed ram usage climb considerably while hl2 dm maps were loading, but dropped off after the precaching completed.

So on the whole, if you've got a reasonably new system, and have propper drivers, I say Vista is good to go for you. I've not run into a single problem getting or finding drivers for this machine.

Those w/ older computers, or low ram ammounts will obviously need to upgrade... but thats inevetible if you ever plan to game w/ dx 10 when it becomes mainstream.

Thus ends my review of XP. I'm more than happy with how the whole upgrade process went, and I'm more than satisfied with how everything is running.

Is Vista for you? Yes, no.. maybe? It really depends on how good your vid card is and if you have ram. I've not noticed a sigle issue with the processor going under heavy load... so I don't think you'd need a top of the line processor...

Anyway, thats my .02.. I hope it helps shed some light on the current state of vista.
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #23
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Ram load is steady about 30% idle.

You're telling me Vista uses 600mb of ram just sitting there?!
Vista does it's best not to waste any ram, if there's any free ram it'll cache something but if something else needs it, it'll drop cached stuff for it.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #24
o_pixel

Error:

Last edited by o_pixel; 02-11-2007 at 07:59 PM.
o_pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #25
o_tyrus

"By reading this sentance, you agree that I'm better than you"

You know you misspelled "sentence" right?
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #26
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

So. Nice to see you think I'm better than you tho :P

Really, tho, I don't give a crap how I spell... Interweb spelling nazi's always make me lol irl. An honest spelling mistake is one thing.. at least I don't type liek thiz cuz i'm t3h l33t!

I'll even fix my spelling error!
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #27
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

For those upgrading existing builds I found This article on Eweek interesting. Basically the guy is upgrading a dual Xeon Workstation to Vista Ultimate. This guy is going a route I would not be going but if I was considering an "in place" upgrade this story would make me think twice.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #28
o_duffmanhb

hes just a clear linux fan and just wants to make anything windows related seem like the devil. I have it. it takes some time transfering everything over and getting it up to date. But once you get it that far. Its gravy
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffmanHB
hes just a clear linux fan and just wants to make anything windows related seem like the devil. I have it. it takes some time transfering everything over and getting it up to date. But once you get it that far. Its gravy
If you would, please, point out what, from the install, was Linux bias instead of simply reporting one persons experience?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 PM   #30
o_duffmanhb

ok granted i was generalizing. Most people that use linux have a strong grudge towards windows. So based on this likely-hood that he would probably fall under, he is intentionally pointing out all the negetives and the problems (which one would expect during a launch of anything). He fails to say anything good about it because he wants people to leave fealing as if the product is shitty.
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #31
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

What good thing should have have then said that he did not say? Honestly, I don't believe for one minute that this article should be viewed as an anti-MS and I think you're allowing your own bias to prevent you from giving it a fair read or to consider it fairly. Furthermore I would also suggest that you either didn't read the article or you merely skimmed it given your personal bias. The guy was relating his experience upgrading an existing machine that, from what I can tell, was fairly powerful. He also describes the troubles he went through.

For the record, I use both Windows and Linux and have for a very long time. If you go far enough back into my experience you will also find Dos and Mac as well an old IBM System 30 and 40.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #32
o_paft

What's the problem? Vista is a great update from XP. The impression I get is people are whining and slagging it off for a outrageously petty reason that they simply can't run it. Yes that right vista is demanding, get used to it.

I can't run FF so it sucks.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #33
o_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
What's the problem? Vista is a great update from XP. The impression I get is people are whining and slagging it off for a outrageously petty reason that they simply can't run it. Yes that right vista is demanding, get used to it.

I can't run FF so it sucks.
Oh yes, it has nothing to do with the lack of hardware support, ridiculous media control, and multitude of other limitations.
o_fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #34
o_paft

Now you'd expect that for somthing that's so new.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #35
o_tyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*

I'll even fix my spelling error!
Oh but its so much fun to do! (be a spelling nazi and all...especially when I have nothing else to do! )
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #36
o_zippy

i think its fucking shite ... windows 92 FTW !!!
o_zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #37
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
Now you'd expect that for somthing that's so new.
Yeah, that's been typical of each new Windows Launch. Windows 95 launch was particularly bad about old hardware and the availability of drivers.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #38
o_someoldguy

A new problem that has come to light in Vista for the photographers in the group:

from http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readm...msgid=23287606
Quote:
A bit of bad news about Vista if you're a photographer. Apparently if you tag a photo's metadata in Vista, it destroys other important metadata used by image editing apps such as Photoshop. Microsoft's gotten reports of RAW files generated by Nikon cameras being unreadable after being tagged with Vista or Microsoft's Photo Info tool.

What can you do? Well, Microsoft's asking camera vendors to make processing plugins for Vista that don't make images unreadable, but for the mean time we'd just recommend not updating to Vista until everything's fixed. Or just not tagging your stuff in Vista. – Jason Chen
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #39
o_jinx

Holy crap, I need to warn my friend about this. she doesn't do photos, but she does a ton of art in photoshop that this might effect.

Also: she has to go back to XP anyway on her brand new PC because Vista keeps asking her to reinstall the software and drivers for her Wacom tablet every hour or so... It's bullshit that they aren't giving consumers a choice for the first few months. This is what she gets if anyone has any ideas. Her husband is a computer tech, though, and they have scoured the net for ideas. There's a Vista driver from Wacom but I guess Vista doesn't like it too much.

"DRIVER MISMATCH"
"PLEASE REINSTALL TABLET SOFTWARE"
"PLEASE REINSTALL DRIVER"

The above is probably a side-effect of the DRM issues detailed in that Vista analysis most of us read. ie the driver from Wacom is probably a 'generic' driver for most of their tablets, and Vista wants one for her exact model. Clearly her getting work done is less important than stopping her tablet from copying HD movies.

Also heard from a friend who works at a computer store that there are no proper drivers for the multi-function printers yet, and probably won't be for 3-6 months. So you'll maybe be lucky to be able to print, but don't count on being able to scan, fax, etc. any time soon.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #40
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

I was on the phone with Sage Data Systems yesterday regarding a support issue for Act. While waiting for database processing to complete he struck up a conversation with me about Vista. He told me that it's been an absolute nightmare and that the word from the Senior Engineers is that MS "broke" many things with their changes from the final RC to the released version and they've been playing catch up ever since. The biggest problem has been MS's implementation of what MS calls "security" and how it interferes with even routine operations.