Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
o_ihmhi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TFC Instructional Videos

Welp guys this is about a project I have been thinking about for some time and finally am getting around to doing.

Here is the deal. TFC is a fun game, hands down, but it is NOT newbie friendly in any manner. I have met a good deal of newbies who have gotten owned by a bhopping Soldier on some random pub they joined. They often quit the game and never play it again, sadly.

We all know they are missing out on a lot of fun, eh? So this is what I decided to do: I am making a series of TFC Instructional Videos.

Let us start simple: here are the subjects I am covering; each will be sort of like a Chapter in the videos:

Quote:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Concing

Basic concing, your sort of "toss conc on ground and jump
forwards and upwards".

Water Concing

Drop a conc in the water, float upwards and forwards, and
fly in that general direction.

HH Concing

Self-explanatory.

Lateral Concing

Drop a conc on the ground, walk or run in front of it, and
fly horizontally.

Double Concing

Drop a conc, prime another while holding it, and fly twice
as far.

Nade Jumping

Drop a frag grenade on the ground and jump at the right
moment.

Speed Sniping

Use a combination of strafing and sniping to get quick
shots off fast.

Rocket Jumping

Shoot a rocket at the ground and jump to fly up. A grenade
can be used as a combo jump for much greater distance.

Pipe Jumping

Lay one to three pipes on the ground and detonate them
while jumping to fly through the air.

Ramp Jumping

Conc, RJ, etc. towards a ramp and hit it so the horizontal
momentium is translated to an upwards momentum.

Basic Defense

Layered Defense, blocking doors, etc.

Basic Offense

Get the flag out. Period.

Scout Technique

Self-explanatory.

Sniper Technique

Self-explanatory.

Soldier Technique

Self-explanatory.

Demoman Technique

Self-explanatory.

Medic Technique

Self-explanatory.

HW Guy Technique

Self-explanatory.

Pyro Technique

Self-explanatory.

Spy Technique

Self-explanatory.

Engineer Technique

Self-explanatory.

TFC Etiquette

The etiquette of TFC; do not take all of the bags, do not
block doors, etc.

Team Communication

A discussion on the importance of communication between
teammates and its effectiveness and usefulness in both
offense and defense.

Binds

A lesson on how to bind keys as well as interesting ways to
implement binds to enhance gameplay.

Bloopers

A variety of things, like failed jumps, people getting blown up,
camraderies between the team, jokes, etc.

D2F

A special video about the drippy's 2fort server, my favorite
place to play. It will instruct players how to play on this server
with its many custom mods.

I will have my various TFC friends handling the individual aspects of these videos. I am a capable enough player that I could do everything here, but I want to involve my mates so I can put their names in the credits. ^.^

Basically, I will have people record demos to my specific instructions and then convert the demos to videos. The videos will be edited, graphics and such will be added in, and the demos will be subtitled and have narration explaining the technique.

My buddy [d2f]Cybergunn*SJB will be doing the narration. Here is the sample he gave me when I jokingly said that he should do the narration:

http://www.mediamax.com/ihmhi/Hosted/nade1.wav

Mind you, he had a cold when he recorded this. I mean, can you imagine how this guy will sound when he is healthy? He is a professional vocalist (he was a singer in two bands, and I think he was in a choir or some crap like that d and the right man for the job without a doubt in my mind.

The videos will be split into three levels: TFC Green (Beginner), TFC Blue (Intermediate), and TFC Red (Advanced). The "chapters" I described above will be split into these three categories and then put in the corresponding videos. Some chapters will be duplicated or forked; rocket jumping, for instance, would be considered a "Beginner" skill (easy to learn), but Rocket + Nade jumping would probably be considered an "Intermediate" skill, and multiple rocket jumps and wall rocket jumps would be considered an "Advanced" skill.

The videos will be available on a central website, something like tfcnewb.com, as well available as torrents and on common video sharing services like YouTube and Google Video.

I am confident that nothing like this exists for TFC; there are videos that showcase skills (especially things like concing and offensive runs), but there is almost nothing in existance of this scope.

I intend to make a comprehensive set of videos for the new TFC player; this way, anytime you meet a newbie, you can tell the lil' guy with the 1:15 K : D ratio that s/he (all new players are hermaphrodites) should go to tfcnewb.com (or whatever the link will end up being).

Okay, so other than showing off or boring you, why am I posting this here? Well, it can not hurt to get some constructive criticism, suggestions, comments, etc. Of course, this being an Internet forum, I expect many of your comments to be less constructive than a drunk Engineer on a cold Sunday morning. I am looking forward to the people who can see the light of day thanks to the fact that their head is not up their own asses.

Although volunteers are appreciated (as always), I have a lot of people already in mind to handle all of the individual aspects of the video. qbaler, a friend of mine (and a nightmare for anyone playing D against "the black wind", as I have come to call him privately), will be doing all of the concing portions for me.

Some elements of the video will require multiple people; these will be organized on certain nights. One example would be a sole Medic completing an offensive run from spawn to capture against three defenders (say, an Engineer, a HW, and a Soldier). After the run is shown, it will be broken down with all of the techniques used on the offensive (water concing, gun + nade attack, constant movement, etc.) and defensive sides (SG placement, layered defense (i.e. in 2fort, someone top spiral, someone top elevator, and someone in elevator) so the viewer can better understand the dynamics of the game.

I will also cover things like the so-called "rock-paper-scissors" balance of the game, where every class has an advantage over at least one other class (for instance, Scouts can disarm detpacks and remove spy disguises, Medics can infect HWs easily, etc.) and a weakness to other classes (the Demoman's pipe traps can be EMPed, snipers have to endure IC rockets, etc.) so the player can learn to adjust their playing to fit the situation at hand.

I will also be advocating my personal philosophy of playing every class for at least 20 hours on the same server ("on the same server" for the purposes of as consistant of an environment as possible) to better understand the ups and downs of the classes.

So, my fellow FFers, while we wait for that sweet, free mod to come out, take a few minutes and tell me what you think about my little project. Suggestions about new chapters or techniques to cover would be most appreciated, really.

Lastly, a few notes. I will not be covering bunnyhopping in any of the videos; it is an advanced technique, yes, but it is dying down on a lot of servers and it is not required to be a good player at the game. After finishing the three main videos, however, I will likely make TFC Yellow (Special) focused on techniques that the leetzor players use, like bunnyhopping, wall strafing, clan play, etc.

Thanks bunches for reading guys and wish me luck; this will be a pain in the ass, but sweet Moses on a rocket-powered pogo stick it will be so worth it when it is completely finished. ^.^
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
o_paft

No point, you learn by playing the game this is just silly why is everyone obsessed with tutorials? Sadly this is completely unnecessary you believe TFC far to complex for another person’s tiny mind and so you must teach this vast knowledge.

New players are copycats so when they see something that displays clever skill or something which astonishes and captivates them as they have ever experienced anything like it will copy straight away. Take a rocket jump not too hard and can pick it up within a few minuets of mimicking someone else, all the other skills are force related apart from the movement kind, so it doesn’t require a tutorial to familiarize and educate a person as though there oblivious to it all. In time a person will learn to walk in a straight line and progress
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
o_ihmhi

This is true, but not everyone will want to (or be able to) learn in this manner.

I mean, there are some people (like me) who can read something once and remember it for a long time. For me, it is easy for me to remember literal knowledge (the capital of a country, etc.), but not mathematical knowledge (the Hell if I know the difference between X and Y sometimes).

Not everyone learns in the same way; I, for instance, am the sort to read up on the manuals/tips/tricks of a game as soon as I get it. I like to learn as much about it as I can before playing (or while just starting) so I can apply that knowledge to the game and play it smart.

Some people just play the game and learn like that; these are some of the same people who have no idea Scouts can disable detpacks and remove spy disguises, although they can BHOP with the best of them. (These are probably the same people who put together a swingset for their nephew and have parts left over.)

Other people can not learn as quickly or in the same manner. I was not able to learn TFC in the manner you describe. I first played over at my friend's house (friends being Kiba|MI6 and [SNAFU]TenchiMasaki a.k.a. [SNAFU]Muffinking, they are brothers). The first few hours I ever played TFC were a frustrating ordeal of 1:20 K : D ratios and barely making it across the bridge, ever.

If the videos has existed at the time, I would have looked them up and used them. They did not, of course, so I did the next best thing: I asked my buddies (experienced clanners who have been playing since day one) to show me all of the tricks. They taught me how to conc, RJ, deceive, kill... they taught me to put the p in pwn.

Not everyone has the benefit of knowing two brothers who are very skilled TFC players, and I am hopeful that my videos will be an adequate substitute. Ultimately I hope that it will help the TFC community retain a greater amount of new players in the future.

Thank you for your comments, Paft.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
o_uncle-argon

In terms of trying to help TFC, It's probably a little late to be undertaking a project of this size, given that the community is already much smaller than it once was and is hardly likely to attract a significant amount of new players. You're probably about three years too late...

Nevertheless it is still a good idea - it certainly won't do any harm - and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun doing it. Producing something similar for FF and making sure new players are aware of it would be an excellent idea. I'm not sure if an in-game tutorial system is still in development and I don't know what shape this will take, but a system for introducing new players to the essential techniques is a very good idea. Things like rocket jumping are probably self explanatory, but things like concing (particularly HHing), bunnyhopping and clan etiquette, do require the kind of explanation which is difficult to give to a new player on a busy pub server.

The idea of dividing the techniques into various skill levels is a good idea and you seem to have covered pretty much everything you need to. However, I think you should reconsider you decision to push bunnyhopping and clan play into the background for the time being. I'd imagine that joining a clan style server and getting shouted at by other players is one of the most significant reasons why new people are discouraged from learning the game. As for bunnyhopping, I'd say that a fairly large proportion of people on public servers are still using it and that this number is unlikely to decline (at least here in Europe); explaining to somebody why a HWguy has just effortlessly hopped past your scout seems to be pretty important to me. I think this more urgently needs explanation than speed sniping or double jumping.

It's a nice idea anyhow, and hopefully something similar can be done for FF where it's likely to have a bigger impact.
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
o_coalesce

<my2cents>

close to the above post but maybe it will have a bigger impact if portions are reiterated.

1. this community is very small for this type of a major project. consider doing this for FF. talk to the devs...

2. you cannot leave out bunny hopping. this is a very important part of the game though impossible on drippys.

3. conc aim? have a general section on it so people don't call skilled HWGs hackers. a lot of players on public servers today think this is impossible.

are you trying to boost drippys server popularity or are you trying to help what's left of the community? you are showing them the drippys way. that is one server out of hundreds. what happens when they go to another server where people are bunny hopping? they will cry speed hacker and leave and return to drippys. or what if they want to join a clan and they cannot because this wasn't covered? clanning is keeping this community alive and should be supported if you are going to make an attempt to help this community.

good idea for drippys server but a bad one for the binding portion of the community if you do not add some key things. no my head isn't up my ass (yet) and i will not be sloshy until later tonight! i'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

</my2cents>
o_coalesce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalesce
<my2cents>

close to the above post but maybe it will have a bigger impact if portions are reiterated.

1. this community is very small for this type of a major project. consider doing this for FF. talk to the devs...

2. you cannot leave out bunny hopping. this is a very important part of the game though impossible on drippys.

3. conc aim? have a general section on it so people don't call skilled HWGs hackers. a lot of players on public servers today think this is impossible.

are you trying to boost drippys server popularity or are you trying to help what's left of the community? you are showing them the drippys way. that is one server out of hundreds. what happens when they go to another server where people are bunny hopping? they will cry speed hacker and leave and return to drippys. or what if they want to join a clan and they cannot because this wasn't covered? clanning is keeping this community alive and should be supported if you are going to make an attempt to help this community.

good idea for drippys server but a bad one for the binding portion of the community if you do not add some key things. no my head isn't up my ass (yet) and i will not be sloshy until later tonight! i'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

</my2cents>
Nah I am not showing them the "drippy's way". It is just my fav server and a lot of the people who will be doing the tricks and acting are from there, so I am having a special section for them.

I really do not view bhop as that important; I know how to do it but I rarely use it and I usually blow some jumping moron to shit when he crosses the bridge with it.

Clan play is where it is really important nowadays, but these vids are not made to focus on clan play.

Having said that, I think I will add bunnyhopping into the mix; and concaim was something I missed, thanks for reminding me.

Thanks to the both of you for your comments. I know I may be doing this for a "small community" (if you call several thousand players "small", which I must concede in the sense of gaming it is small), but I love this lil' community. I am also counting on the releases of TF2 and FF to, of course, lead to a resurgance in TFC play, which is not unreasonable at all.

What else am I missing here mates? Help me out. Thanks bunches for helping so far, guys.

And thank you for your comments, the both of you.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
o_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihmhi
I really do not view bhop as that important; I know how to do it but I rarely use it and I usually blow some jumping moron to shit when he crosses the bridge with it.
Um, other concerns aside, maybe you have a little bit too narrow view of TFC...
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
o_uncle-argon

I don't want to turn this into another bunny hopping debate, but it is worth you presenting bunny hopping as a very valuable skill for playing on a public server. It isn't just used for getting between bases quickly; it's used in fights, in getting into defensive positions and in getting the flag out of the enemy base. On maps like Dustbowl and Warpath (pub staples), it's always extremely effective in getting from A to B quickly and keeping/relieving pressure.

I'm not saying that it's an essential skill to be good at the game or to enjoy it, but it has the potential to give you a significant advantage should you wish to use it. Without bunny hopping (and, admittedly, concing) I probably wouldn't have played TFC for nearly as long as I have.

In terms of other useful things you might consider adding, how about some map specific skills? On dustbowl, spies nade-jumping is by far the most effective and widely used offence technique (at least on Euro dustbowl servers). Given that it's so central to the map and utilises the spy in a way which deviates from the norm, it might be worth looking at. I'm sure there are a few other examples of similar situations.

Good luck
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
o_paft

Exactly, I still have a [L] sticker on my forehead when it comes to bhopping not quite grasped it completely yet but getting there, makes me sound ultra nub. Anyhow I've just come of a quiet game defending on my own against two medics and one was constantly c-jumping up the lift on 2fort and not able to efficiently bunny-hop yet is a drawback I just couldn't keep up so the little blighters run off.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
o_heatz0r

I enjoyed not knowing how to do things in TFC, it was more of an experience seeing things being performed, exclaming "wtf omg orsm" many times and then figuring it out or asking one of the friendly people I was playing with. Spoon feeding people isn't necessary, maybe if there's a sort of 'challenge' mode where a video is shown and then you have to copy it, rather than watching a set of 'instructional videos' I dunno, I just liked the idea of finding out all the suprises within the game as I played it.
o_heatz0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Um, other concerns aside, maybe you have a little bit too narrow view of TFC...
Right right Nezumi, I got you. I do have a narrow view of TFC, I have no interest in league or serious clan play whatsoever.

That said, do you think most people in leagues or clans would need this stuff?

Even so, I now still intend to include bunnyhopping. I personally do not really like it, but hey, I am not making these videos for me, now am I?

Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em comin'! ^.^

Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
o_meisteh

if you could move 70% faster irl, don't you think you'd get a lot more done?
o_meisteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
o_ihmhi

Yeah but I would be so tired from all of that jumping around like a dummy that I would have to go to bed early, therefore losing any free time I gained.

Thankfully TFC does not have a stamina meter. d:

Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #14
o_qui

Quote:
That said, do you think most people in leagues or clans would need this stuff?
Yes.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
Yes.
Really? I figured most people in leagues and clans were fairly experienced players... guess they need it too.

Well, BHOP is in for sure, then. So what else guys? Help me out here.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
o_coalesce

clans are what hold this community together...
o_coalesce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #17
o_jayman

Tutorials for most of here are not that useful its fair to say.

But for new people who have never seen or heard of TFC & FF before, surely a tutorial is a good thing ?
o_jayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
o_radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
No point, you learn by playing the game this is just silly why is everyone obsessed with tutorials? Sadly this is completely unnecessary you believe TFC far to complex for another person’s tiny mind and so you must teach this vast knowledge.
uh, there is point. you know everyone does not fit into one single category. i learnt the idea of bunnying from a quickly made tutorial video. these definitely are a good idea if someone just has the time and nerve to do them.

besides, what ever makes this game easier to approach for new audience is considered good in my book as long as it does not simplify the gameplay too much. tf needs all the players it can get.
o_radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
o_ace6227

I don't have a whole lot to say other than it's nice to see someone wanting to help new people to the game... or any game for that matter. I know for a fact a lot of people are discouraged from a lot of games just by the nasty comments made by other players. Everyone was new to TF or any other game at one time. Some people do learn differently, and just hopping in and copying others doesn't always work.

Anyway, sounds like a Great idea. Would be nice to see it done with FF when it is released too though. As already stated, something like this would've been nice back in the day when TFC was much bigger.

So many people I talk with about gaming say TF what?? Sad
o_ace6227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
o_paft

Just get into the game and frigging play it that's what I did.