Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The myth about this community

Far too many are now claiming that the Fortress-Forever community is somehow less friendly than others.
Let's not forget that the majority of players online are not very nice.
Normal Person on the Internet = Total Fuckwad

Seriously, what are people expecting when they connect to a server? If you're lucky enough to avoid swearing and abuse it's probably because nobody knows which one is the chat button or because the server admin is present.

I've had to take my good share of abuse as a newbie to any game and never did it stop me.

And when you do get sworn at, don't let it discourage you from playing again. Pick another server, meet new people and enjoy the game.

If you don't want to play with the 'elitist wankers'
SOLUTION: Play on a regular server.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
This is the reason why I play on a server that ran by people 30+ years old. Part of the problem is age related - if that statement offends the kids here too bad.

If you want to play around a good / well mannered group; find a server where you can not buy admin access. When you join the server and the MOTD says - "admin access only 5 dollars a month," its time to move on.

I personally do not curse - EVER! If someone comes onto the server and starts using a lot of curse words, they get a warning or two, then they are shown the door.

Same thing with being rude. If ya wanna be rude, theres the door dont let it hit your butt on the way out.

I can say the server I play on is ran like a top, and that is the only place I play.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Although I will admit to cussing, I am a generally helpful guy and will actually try to teach beginners rather than curse them out.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I'm an oil patch worker.

It's in all our nature (even if you didn't start off that way) to curse as much and as frequently as possible. Extra credit is given when you have a trade mark curse. Or bonus points are scored when a new curse word comprised of as many as 5-6 other words (swear or not) is spit forth.

I actually had my mom on the phone tell me to stop swearing so much lol.

Needless to say I swear. Usually never at another player, but they come out, and are usually just a part of my every day speech. I try to tone it down in game, but sometimes I can't help it.

But there's a big difference between saying "Ahhh shit" as it is to actually assault and attack someone verbally.

I always try to help people out when I can, answer their questions, or show em something.

The problem is for FF is that the majority of the players are the clanner styles, that are impatient and want things played only 1 way. Finding an already established community is probably the best place to start looking for nice guys.

It would be really cool to have a Community links section on the main page to the already established ones (I know there's a few). Not a listing on the forums, they're too hard to sift through and ever changing. But a links section. You could advertise to the communities to get links from them, or start it off linking the ones you know already exist.

Either way it would certainly help the newbies out there find good quality people to play with, instead of stumbling into a not so friendly environment.

You could also take those same links on the website, and program a way to inform the newbies "In Game" on the server selection screen recommended servers for them.

The 2nd suggestion sounds like a lot more work so I don't know if that'd fly. But I see no problems posting links to "Communities".

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
allisvoid
what is tfc?

SOLUTION #2: Mute.
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
This is the reason why I play on a server that ran by people 30+ years old. Part of the problem is age related - if that statement offends the kids here too bad.
[30+] has a FF server?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
This is an all too common problem for most games. I remember when I first started playing Q3F2.2 and I was swore at, repeatedly TK'ed, and even kicked from the server by an asshole Admin who did not like where I built my sentry. Hell, Quake Fortress and ETF even have voice comms and even an in-game sound (Holy Shit) that swears, but there is a difference between that and being attacked.

I learned to block out the console which also caused me to miss when people were trying to help. One time after the map changed to "Rock" and everyone left, a player by the name of Timisdaman showed me how to play the engineer class by teaching me to ammo drop, use my supply station as a trap, etc. His patience and how he went out of his way to help a n00b out is what kept me from uninstalling the game and to never return. I have been returning his favor ever since
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
I'm surprised you'd think this community is more rude than the TF2 community. I always see everyone as trying to help each other out. There were people on opening day that wore the *helper tag who weren't even directly asked to. I think the maturity level of this place is a lot higher, so cussing may occur, but not directly intended to be taken harshly.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
heh bokko I wonder why this is coming from you do you already feel guilty for calling everyone how shit he plays and how much of a newb he is like you used to do in TFC? :F hehe
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
[30+] has a FF server?
My statement was referring to finding servers with an older / more mature playing group.

I remember something about a 30+ clan from quakeworld, but I have not seen them in years.

In Quakeworld and in Quake 2 there was a 21+ clan that I was a member of. Only people over 21 were allowed to join the clan.

After 21+ faded away, I floated around and now play at the One World On-line Servers.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
aflaedge
Resident QWTF God

Solution #2 FTW
aflaedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
sacred

I am yet to go on a FF public "uncontrolled" server, without some jerk (or two) on there I needed to mute.

Who is probably also saying racists remarks in the chat Whilst I find it amusing (lol racism) for a few seconds. When he is doing it the whole map and really pissing people off it gets boring.

Maybe I am just unbelievable unlucky

But anyway, I generally view this community as unfriendly. This existed in TFC and has simply continued, when a CS person came into the pickup channel people were rude to him. Causing him to leave and go back to a different game 95% of the time.

Also it is extremely defensive, I could make a fair point and have immediately 10 people calling me an arsehole

Its no myth!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

That's rich Norris, coming from you LOL! No but seriously I don't know what you're talking about.

There are children and egomaniacs in all games, don't let them ruin the experience for you.

And why would it matter if a CS person joined a pickup channel? Though it's safe to say that a pickup is not a good first time experience for people who are new to the game.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
lol, bokko is one of the friendliest easy-going ppl I ever knew in TFC.

When will?
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
moogle

My first mulch_dm game was when I joined a server and they just kept kicking me instead of teaching me the rules. I was hardly interrupting, just didn't know what to do. It is our duty to teach noobs, and if they don't want to learn keep kicking them k thx :P

As for them being "FuckWads"... I would tend to agree. What can you do? I love it when the FuckWads can actually play and are skilled, then they don't bother me :P
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Um.. are we talking about the servers or this forum in particular? Cuz so far I have found these forums to be quite hostile to me as a gal/christian/nonbunnyhopper/nonconcer/teleporterbuilder. The servers might be different though. Just my worthless 2 cents.
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #17
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Naw Cats, you just let the bad ones get to you.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #18
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
Um.. are we talking about the servers or this forum in particular? Cuz so far I have found these forums to be quite hostile to me as a gal/christian/nonbunnyhopper/nonconcer/teleporterbuilder. The servers might be different though. Just my worthless 2 cents.
Yeah, me too as a guy/atheist/bunnykiller/drug smoker/teleportician.
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Naw Cats, you just let the bad ones get to you.
Yea, on the forums, the mods are trying to give people room to vent. Unfortunately, people tend to abuse that privilege and turn threads into a "you suck the most" contest. But that's how bad apples work =/.

I'm Christian also(southern baptist theological view, mostly conservative). But as far as the forum's go, this one seems to me to be one of the more "honest" forums, non of that politically correct and watch out not to "offend" people, which i enjoy moreso than forums that develop into "yesmen" who suck up to the mods or devs even when they're clearly in the wrong (cough *steam forums* cough). And with that, i think some will be offended at one point or another.

But if it helps any, what i do is, i read posts from various sections to see whose opinions are worth value, and if someone responds to any of my posts that have historically shown good sportsmanship, i read their response. Otherwise, i just don't take their posts seriously.

Hope that helps.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 04:14 AM   #20
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Quote:
Our debates, even on touchy subjects, are actually quite civil in comparison to other forums.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote