Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
@PubEngys: Learn 2 Play

This debate has stormed since the beginning. Is the Engineer balanced? Is the Sentry gun balanced. Do we know the answer? Yes we do. The answer is no, they're not balanced. Is that a problem? No, it's not. In fact, it's supposed to be that way. Orly? Yarly.

I finally understand the Engineer. Perhaps it took too long, but I finally do. Let me explain it to you guys. Let's think about this, ok? In Team Fortress 2, the Engineer is a fucking joke. He only has a shotgun and a wrench, and dies unbelieveably quickly. To counter this, his sentry gun is very powerful and very strong.

Now look at how Fortress Forever has balanced the Engineer. He is capable of dealing good damage, but can not hold his own. Look at his sentry gun, capable of dealing damage, but not able to hold its own. Hm? So how the fuck do you defend? If you're both so goddamn weak, how? It's impossible. NO IT'S NOT. HERE'S WHY.

Imagine five Engineers. In the current pub setting, they build five guns. They sit behind these guns, and whack them over and over and over. Essentially, only five units are playing defense; the guns. The Engineers are out of play, doing it wrong. Let's imagine five Medics storm the place. These Medics have to deal with 5 points of defense. The guns. A few nades, you're both dead. You're not a threat, because you're busy, and will be indirectly disposed of as they get rid of the sentry guns. No problemo!

Now imagine those five Engineers build five guns, but they don't noob it out behind their guns. Instead, they stand guard with their shotguns and grenades. Do you get it now? Those five medics have to deal with 10 POINTS OF DEFENSE. THE ENGINEERS AND THE GUNS. THE DEFENSE HAS FUCKING DOUBLED. OMFG. YOU SEE NOW? THE TRUTH.

THE MEDICS MUST DECIDE WHO IS A BIGGER THREAT. YOU OR YOUR GUN. IF YOU DIE, YOUR SENTRY FINISHES THEM OFF. IF YOUR SENTRY IS DESTROYED, YOU FINISH THEM OFF. In rare cases, both of you die, but this is again rare if you play correctly. You break the enemy by making him decide on the spot. You sever his expectations. An enemy taking fire from multiple directions and multiple targets is in a worse situation than one taking fire from a single direction and a single target. DON'T YOU GET IT? HOLY FUCK. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT.

The sentry gun is not strong because it's not supposed to hold its own. You're not strong because you're not supposed to hold your own. How do you defend then? By WORKING IN HARMONY WITH YOUR SENTRY GUN. You work at 50%, the sentry gun works at 50%. Together, you work at 100%. YOU SUPPORT IT. IT SUPPORTS YOU. NEITHER OF YOU WORK SOLO. YOU ARE BEST FRIENDS. TOGETHER, YOU ARE UNSTOPPABLE. End of story, now you know how to play Engineer, the debate is over.

Conclusion?

THE ENGINEER AND HIS SENTRY GUN?
PERFECTLY BALANCED.

/thread, /debate, /discussion, /confusion, /etc
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
The correct way to play engi is actually far more ambiguous, but sure. The ultimate goal is to both do damage and support your gun. How you choose to do that is up to you (teammates and communication can help tremendously).

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 09-04-2009 at 06:59 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
A simple "Yes, Bridget, You're correct. I bow before your superior knowledge." would have done, but ok, Squeek.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Nailed that spot on, Bridget.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spectating
Gametype: British Bulldogs
Affiliations: ®™ ^
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I'm amazed that people are still only just realising this
Bully is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
RnZ
D&A Member

Class/Position: I like them all (except snipers :P)
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [TW]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
I'm amazed that people are still only just realising this
^
RnZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
haha wow. nice read.

Protip - If someone destroys your SG, build it in another area that is just as or almost as effective.
Have a dispenser in your base somewhere that isn't easily seen by the enemy offense, but still relatively close to your SG, then dismantle your SG in between offensive attacks on your base and change it's location, using your dispenser and any nearby bags to get it up to level 3 again.

If you can do this quickly enough, their grenades that they pretime will be ineffective and will likely end up with them dying.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 09-04-2009 at 10:22 PM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
wakka

Class/Position: top
Gametype: pwning caroline in bed
I think the best way for the engineer to be useful is to be good at shielding himself from grenades with use of the sg while healing the sg. A little engineer with an EMP primed is just gonna get ignored and then the unprotected sg will be taken down left for the remaining offy to kill demo/grab flag.
wakka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
im ok with the ng class atm, imo it just goes up too dam fast, u can build an sgs level 3 in 5 sec or so lolz.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
i like the engy were he is.. I thought most people played engy as Bridget described. I like the more leave your gun alone for awhile and kill them with emps and shotty before they get anywhere close to it of course all depending on the map
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
A simple "Yes, Bridget, You're correct. I bow before your superior knowledge." would have done, but ok, Squeek.
+++

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I never thought the debate existed. It was just a hand full of people that didn't get or like the concept.

BUT YEAH GOOD TO SEE YOU'VE GOT IT NOW BRIDGET GOOD JOB!

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
rezz0r
a.k.a. legion_

Class/Position: O & D
The only problem I have with engis is when they come in masses in some pubs, but that is mostly because I'm not a good attacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
haha wow. nice read.

Protip - If someone destroys your SG, build it in another area that is just as or almost as effective.
Have a dispenser in your base somewhere that isn't easily seen by the enemy offense, but still relatively close to your SG, then dismantle your SG in between offensive attacks on your base and change it's location, using your dispenser and any nearby bags to get it up to level 3 again.

If you can do this quickly enough, their grenades that they pretime will be ineffective and will likely end up with them dying.
Thanks! I can really use that! First build dispenser then SG? Or vice versa?
rezz0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
spaceleper
**League Cheater**

Class/Position: bent over ur mums coffee table
Gametype: i only play on sv_cheats 1 servers thx
Affiliations: MYG0T
Quote:
haha wow. nice read.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! i been after this holy grail of advice since i started ff. i've been playing ff ng for like 8 months now for teamfail and man I THOUGHT i was good but this is really going to change my game and take it to a whole new level. i had like NO FUCKING IDEA, my eyes are open... !!! THANKS SO MUCH.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceleper View Post
HOLY FUCKING SHIT! i been after this holy grail of advice since i started ff. i've been playing ff ng for like 8 months now for teamfail and man I THOUGHT i was good but this is really going to change my game and take it to a whole new level. i had like NO FUCKING IDEA, my eyes are open... !!! THANKS SO MUCH.
Read the title. Pub Engies.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
groovyf
In the clouds

Don't forget about the Dispenser being a weapon also. Much death has ensued against ones I've built - great to be placed in unsuspecting areas, (though can really only be done once in any given place, as offy get wise to the tactic.)
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #17
impy
Best HW in FF

Affiliations: [-]
Sorry, but killing SG's in pubs are stupid, save for A/D. They are just going to rebuild it, your teammates won't take it down with you. So your post is a moot point
impy is offline   Reply With Quote