Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
HP DreamColor in monitors.

Absolutely stunning monitors. My dad got a notebook to test out from an HP representative (he did buy about a million dollars worth of PC's and parts from them). I'm going to be taking this bad boy on the road soon so I'll have a more detailed review of it later... but so far my impressions of JUST this technology is ABSOLUTELY incredible.

I've loaded up the following games on it:

Fallout 3
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
Farcry 2
Call of Duty: World at War
Red Alert 3

I'll be loading up a few others, like WC3, L4D, TF2, HL2, Etc. Maybe even some FF just to see what it looks like.

So far, the colors and detail on this is just astonishing. I've never, ever seen anything this good. Ever. To compare, I've played Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway on several monitors and a 50 inch Sony Bravia and this laptops monitor just blows them all away.

I dunno, words can't really describe this. Colors just JUMP out at you. From what I was told, there are LED's behind the monitor that pump out the color.

Anyway, a monitor costs about $2,500... so it's pretty unreasonable at this point. But holy piss.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cach...0-225-121.html

Also: http://h20202.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/down...AQ_June08a.pdf

Apparently this shit can reproduce 1 billion colors. What the fuck.

Also, I will say that pixel size plays a large part in the quality. The pixels on this monitor are really small. Getting as close as I possibly can to the monitor without blurring my vision... I see none.

This thing is hoss.

HOSS.

More as I go.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Update: I had to lower the contrast on the monitor as I got random green specks with certain colors. It didn't happen before, but it does now. As a result, everything looks fairly normal now, ALTHOUGH the color reproduction is absolutely amazing. I still see colors that didn't exist on my other monitor. It's fucking fantastic.

I would say that if you're looking for a gaming laptop, splurge on this bad boy. It's like $1,700 has a decent battery life, and a good number of other things that make it mmm. I can play L4D at 300FPS at all times. Even further, the colors as an infected are SOLID shit. So, so good.

I need to watch a movie on this bad boy.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
i will still accept one of these as a late xmas present from you, credge
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
I saw one IRL the other day.

Holy crap!

That's all.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss View Post
i will still accept one of these as a late xmas present from you, credge
Only if you promise to get me what I wanted.

On a related note:

The laptop is able to run Crysis on the highest possible settings (DX9) without a hitch. Half way through the game and I'm without a hiccup. One issue I do have with this laptop is that it randomly drops CERTAIN aspects of a wireless connection.

The monitor also hasn't gone green on me since then. I think this is because I changed a setting in how the laptop handles battery life. Not really sure.

The price for this specific model is 5k. That's a lot of dollars. The cheapest is like 1.7k. Cool.

Anyway, so far this thing rocks ass.

Ronald Reagan

Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
A Boojum Snark

Say, can these things make those florescent orange colors that digital stuff never used to? Stuff like Blaze Orange for hunting the The Orange Box's box.
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Boojum Snark View Post
Say, can these things make those florescent orange colors that digital stuff never used to? Stuff like Blaze Orange for hunting the The Orange Box's box.
It reproduces a billion colors. If you can give me an example picture of it I can compare my monitor at home to the laptop and tell you!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'm blind. Couldn't tell the difference from this and my Macbook Pro monitor.

Ahahahaha....

(I'm colorblind... somewhat )
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
A Boojum Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
It reproduces a billion colors. If you can give me an example picture of it I can compare my monitor at home to the laptop and tell you!
Not sure if I can... as far as I've known it's a deficiency of all things. That is, I don't think cameras actually register the color right. An example is The Orange Box's orange... when you look at the actual box it's extremely bright and vibrant, but the orange colors used on websites and TV ads lacks the vibrancy or is 'off' in other ways. Google fails me though, and I can't find a photo of the actual box... just the digital cover images.
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Well, I'll be comparing this website:

http://orange.half-life2.com/

On two monitors. The colors there are much more dull than what is found on the actual box. It's as if the box has a ton of digital vibrance, if that makes any sense. I'll take a look at the laptop later on tonight or tommorow.