KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Exactly, people have short attention spans, but when a they're playing a beautiful game, it seems to keep them drawn in, regardless of not having grenades or for whatever reason.

TF2 was released in a package that any other normal game package would have been at least triple that price if it were some other company that released it. It's almost like spending $50 on 1 or 2 games and getting a few freebies included, such as Portal or TF2.

TF2 is also on the Xbox, which makes it more popular.

The graphics are lacking in Fortress Forever. Someone needs to continue to make models better for FF, something attractive is what draws people to the game. Yes, I enjoy gameplay more than graphics, but the fact is that most people could care less.

I think there are a few things that can help FF out, and that is through magazines, such as talking with some people who publish the magazine, put up an adsense program with google, generate some funds, god knows we get more people here than in the servers.

Pester Vavle to add support for 3rd party mods. And I'm not just talking about a 1 paragraph topic displaying your displeasure that they don't support it. I'm talking about getting in contact with someone higher up, maybe offer some free cake to Gabe Newell so he will talk to you.... But if the game is ever going to get more popular, aside from word of mouth, it will depend on the developers of this game to do what is necessary to advertise/market this. Maybe try convincing Valve that they need to add this to another package.

You can purchase Gary's Mod with CS:S and it sells for like $10.

No idea should go unnoticed. Even if you think it's stupid or utterly impossible, bring it to the table because otherwise, what have you all accomplished? Obviously everyone wants a bigger player base, but that's not going to happen without effort...

Hell make a news article on the site about how Valve doesn't support 3rd party mods, and set a date so it will be submitted to Digg, and tell everyone and their 2nd cousin named Bubba to DIGG IT as soon as it's been submitted. get it to the front page of Digg, and see what happens.

Use the revenue from google adsense to pay for an ad on a billboard or maybe a TV spot on G4TV!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #22
=AS= Pt

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg

No idea should go unnoticed. Even if you think it's stupid or utterly impossible, bring it to the table because otherwise, what have you all accomplished? Obviously everyone wants a bigger player base, but that's not going to happen without effort...
Claps especially to this part, but claps to all your reply. Except the part you want to go against Valve. No need for that.

[[]]
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #23
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Thoth
Because the spirit of TF has traditionally been carried through to just about every engine in existence, and Valve failed miserably with TF2, being created primarily by CS players who never liked TFC to begin with
Stop right there. The original creators of TF were hired by Valve 10 years ago to make TF2. Robin Walker is in charge of TF2 development. This is the vision they had for the game.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #24
Saint Thoth

Lies and propaganda. The TF2 has absolutely nothing to do with the vision the original TFC crew had for the game. You wanna play the game they had envisioned for TF2? - Go play Battlefield, cuz EA is where most of that team went (Also look at the old TF2 videos - you'll note they look an awful lot like BF). TF2 has even less to do with what the creators of TF1 had in mind. TF2 was created by CS fans, for their console playing kids. How else do you get last man standing, 20 second respawn times, a reward system that makes the winning team ever-more-powerful, and a game where the worst thing in the world you can have, is an even match? "You Fail!" - sums it up nicely.

I'd much rather have a mod team that's about gameplay rather than graphics, that's about richness of layers of game aspects, rather than about simplifing things for sake of popularity and ease of digestion. Thank the gods there's a modding community to spawn games like FF and NS, or there would be no hope to ever see such games again.

Quote:
The sad truth is, that most people prefer pretty graphics over exciting and complex game play, and this is why the entire gaming industry as a whole is taking the path that it is: extremely simplified games with very pretty graphics. TFC->TF2, needless to say, is the epitome of that regression.
I should make that my sig… >_> - When the industry fails us, and when the majority of the gamer community rather live on hot air than the meat and bone of a truly fleshed out game, it’s up to the mod community to show em how it's done, what can be, what should be, and bring real gamers, and real games, back to the forefront.

Last edited by Saint Thoth; 11-08-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Saint Thoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Stop right there. The original creators of TF were hired by Valve 10 years ago to make TF2. Robin Walker is in charge of TF2 development. This is the vision they had for the game.
I don't agree. TFC was created 10 years ago... TF2 wasn't in development until way later on... The people hated it, and considering the hl2 engine was on the brink of releasing, they decided to scrap that idea and go with it. There isn't any info on when they started building this mod TF2 as we know it today, but it happened AFTER HL2's release.

If this was the vision they had for the game, why'd they completely change the gameplay? Yes, some aspects are similar, but for the most part, it's a different game. This is the NEW vision they had for the game, not the vision they had when TFC was released. I don't buy that at all...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
GhOsT

You guys can continue to think what you want. However, the fact is there are numerous interviews with Robin Walker (You know, that guy I talked about before who is one of the original creators of TF) where he talks about this.

I've read/watched them. From the sounds of it you haven't.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #27
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

I could have sworn they hired a completely different team to do TF2, TFC was from the Quake Engine, they may have changed some programming or w/e, but it was still basically the Quake Engine. The graphics may have been created by someone else, so maybe it's the same graphic design team. But I thought it was a seperate company hired solly for their graphic stye. [sarcasm] I'm 99% positive it was pixar lol. [/sarcasm]
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #28
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
There is no way in hell the FF team can afford licensing. Do you seriously think that any bank is going to loan them a half million dollars for a game that's already suffering? Any loan agent that does their research knows that video games suck up money and have little return.

Also, Valve does not hate FF. They don't want to take down the dev team (they could have sent in a cease and desist order LOOOONG ago). Believe what you want, but the core TF2 team supports FF.

Also, on a monentary note: Most of the dev team are college students. If you've been through that point in your life, you'll realise that money is just something that employers like to bait you with, because it all goes into food, bills, and student loans. There is simply no way that FF would ever be able to be mass marketed unless a miracle happens and everyone starts donating at least $100 each, so a down payment can be made for the loan for the Source engine.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #29
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by [StatisticZ]
I could have sworn they hired a completely different team to do TF2, TFC was from the Quake Engine, they may have changed some programming or w/e, but it was still basically the Quake Engine. The graphics may have been created by someone else, so maybe it's the same graphic design team. But I thought it was a seperate company hired solly for their graphic stye. [sarcasm] I'm 99% positive it was pixar lol. [/sarcasm]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2#Origins

Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #30
joracy

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think I remember when I bought halflife of counter strike a long time ago, it either came with an installer for Firearms or a link to their website(And I think another mod also) Not that I see that likely, but it was not much more then a sticker on the box and a sheet of paper of valve saying"Hey, look at this awesome mod somebody made for our game!"

Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #31
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Alright....from the looks of it, this has gotten WAY off topic.

Instead of arguing who did what, and who loves who, and who hates who, and all that other infantile dramatic bullshit.....let's kick up some ideas here.

I think everyone here has a "Gamestop", "EB Games", or similar other store in their area. Right? Why not have someone here design a flyer that we can easily download and print out... and go to these stores and ASK the Manager if we can tape a copy to their window? Perhapse, with a cut-out at the bottom of the page with the website in it that a customer can take with them. I'll draw up a simple design, and post a link here. Maybe someone can do something with it. Hell, it never hurts to ASK.

I did this when my book went on sale. I asked store managers of places I shopped, if I could tape a flyer in their window. I wasn't refused very often. Since this is a FREE game, and it won't cost them anything....they may allow it. Of course, there is a possibility they will say no... but if they do say no, Thank them for their time and be polite. Then stick it on their door when they aren't looking(JUST KIDDING!!! This will probably piss them off.)

It won't cost us gamers anything but a few sheets of paper, some ink, and a little time. Hell, since you probably shop there....you can always browse around the store while you wait. If they know you(seen you before...spending money), it very well may up your chances of getting a "sure, why not" out of them.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #32
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Right? Why not have someone here design a flyer that we can easily download and print out... and go to these stores and ASK the Manager if we can tape a copy to their window?
This would be really great if it worked out, but I doubt that Gamestop and EB would consent to soliciting like that, especially with a game which competes with a product they sell. Am I right to think that?

Still though, that would be a good way to get the word out.

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #33
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
register FF as a charity. EB/Game would certainly give out free cds then!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #34
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Ok, here is what I came up with, and it took me about 10 minutes to do it:

Just use a pair of scissors to separate each little "tag" at the bottom, and that way people can take the tag with the website on it home.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #35
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_Joker
This would be really great if it worked out, but I doubt that Gamestop and EB would consent to soliciting like that, especially with a game which competes with a product they sell. Am I right to think that?

Still though, that would be a good way to get the word out.

-Joker
It doesn't exactly "compete" with a game they sell....TF2 is available for multiple platforms, and is a much different game than FF. In any case, what will it cost you(meaning anyone) to print out a few pages, and simply ask. The absolute WORST thing they can do to you, is say "no."

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #36
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Quote:
Ok, here is what I came up with, and it took me about 10 minutes to do it:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z.../ff-flyer2.jpg

Just use a pair of scissors to separate each little "tag" at the bottom, and that way people can take the tag with the website on it home.
Please tell me you're not serious lol...*sigh*
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #37
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Well...come up with something better. I just made an example, to get my concept across.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #38
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Again, it's not that FF is in the shadows, because it isn't, It's widely known. Obviously the reason to why it's quiet is because people just aren't liking the mod enough, not interest etc.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #39
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Sorry....I forgot that I got a notice in the mail about FF before it was released.
Everyone must know about it.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #40
=AS= Pt

Quote:
Sorry....I forgot that I got a notice in the mail about FF before it was released.
Everyone must know about it.

LOL. I received that mail too

I think that the idea you gave wont hearth if tryed, and that is the kind of thing that if everybody would think, some would have great ideas...as some i've seen in the forum. If the dev team says that this is the way of making FF available, then everything goes to make it bigger.

Oh, and still waiting for Paft to make an example lol. Guess i'll get old waiting.

And if the game would be advertised with something like this: "Some give you grafs... we give you frags... Join FF and take 3 guys before anyone can take you out" I dont think like paft that no one in the world prefers skill to grafs. I think lots of people want to have a chalenge. So FF can promote as it is. A skilled game, with lots of frags in the midle. Its a chalenge.
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote