Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #21
o_rannibunny

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
wrong with more server: less people on every single server
But I already heard of new servers popping up after the initial release...

wrong with me paying for it: I'm pretty sure you don't want to pay for an "neither yard dm nor sniping, but feel free to abuse everyone you see/smell. FF on" server like you wouldn't want to pay for one like this...
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #22
o_jeff the god of biscuits

I'm willing to wave my appearance fee and do a dance number for this FF telethon
o_jeff the god of biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #23
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Zoidberg, while this is a good idea otherwise, it looks like there will be plenty of servers come release time to support the existing community and then some.

I think, until FF's popularity really improves post-release, this sort of thing isn't necessary.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #24
o_nuk3m

alright no offense man, but i dont think it will fly too well on these forums, im going to have to go with...

IBTL unfortunatly
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
o_lithium

Giving the money to the mods will just make the trepids shit-faced for a week,
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #26
o_etzell

I hate servers where you can pay to become an admin. I'd MUCH rather have a server owner distribute the admin rights based on the quality of the individual in question.

Douchebags have money, too.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #27
o_ihmhi

I think it would be more prudent to wait after FF comes out and analyze the server traffic.

If the servers are all full nearly all the damn time, then another server would definitely be worth the expense.

I mean, look at TFC. It is a "dead" game that constantly has 500-700 servers up at any time. Out of all of these servers maybe 1/10 enjoy regular traffic and being full during peak hours, and a much smaller handful have no bots.

I would estimate that at the very least there will be 50 FF servers within one week of launch, but that could be a much greater number. 5 would be enough for a new mod just starting out but I get the feeling there will be much more, especially considering the strong community FF enjoys. If you think about it... let us say the average server is 16 players. 50 x 16 = 800, so about 16% of the forum community could be accomidated at all times at launch. Granted not everyone will be playing at the same time (though all-nighters are not unheard of...)

Think for a moment; if we reasonably assume that only 1/3 of the forum's membership (approximately 4,800 atm) would be playing at any one time, we would need 100 16-man servers to accomidate that amount. Consider that servers have bots and such and 125 would be a more realistic figure.

Now imagine if the figure of people who want to play the game is much larger than 4,800. What if it were twice as large? Three times? Imagine the number of servers we need. In a few months (or even a few weeks), we could have as many servers as TFC does now but with much greater levels of activity. Crazy.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #28
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
I hate servers where you can pay to become an admin. I'd MUCH rather have a server owner distribute the admin rights based on the quality of the individual in question.

Douchebags have money, too.
ADMINS ARE COMMUNISTS

Also thank you Ihmhi for expanding what I had already said.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
o_darksoul

excellent idea.

in fact i'm going to spearhead this plan

bank details to bobthepickle@gmail.com
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote