Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
o_nuk3m

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Dear, Fortress Forever Development Team.

People have been suggesting that the mod will have more of a QWTF feel, which I assume that is Quake World Team Fortress. I have never played this ever. I am a bit confused as to what people are refering to as far as game feel, when the refer to this game. is it more fantasy, then TFC, or is it simply, movement controls, more fast paced like original Unreal Tournament is.

also one more thing, When Will FF Out?
hehe just kidding, umm but yea how will the game feel, be different then Half-Life's TFC.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373
hehe just kidding, umm but yea how will the game feel, be different then Half-Life's TFC.
Would a text description comparison of the game feel really accurately satisfy your curiousity? I'm not intentionally being a dick, but even if they say:

Quote:
"Well, the spacial movement in an X/Z direction are slightly compensated through wind speed more then QWTF, but there is a good gravitational pickup when moving in more of a Z/Y direction in water. This makes up for a delayed reaction sometimes for the scout, medic, and even soldier classes. The medic benefits most from new metrics associated with concs, spacial relations, and air drag, about 2, maybe 3 times then in TFC but 4, 5 times then that of QWTF".
would that really help?

Scuzzy
o_[o-t] scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
o_nodnarb

he can't see what you said, but oh well
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Play QWTF and you'll know exactly what they're after. See the stickied thread.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb
he can't see what you said, but oh well
Somehow I think Nukem's a little too vane to block anyone's remarks.

Scuzzy
o_[o-t] scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
o_player

QWTF feels like TFC, it just has different techniques and limitations (trimping and concing come to mind)
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
No, man, it doesn't. It... it really doesn't.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
o_player

I think it does.

I just had a quick go and I reckon they feel similar.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Is there a freeware download of QWTF? I'll try it and add my thoughts to the debate.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
o_nuk3m

i cant relate a game as old as QWTF to tfc as the movement feels glitchy. i downloaded it before i made this thread, couldnt really get an idea.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
o_rannibunny

Differences to TF1.5: (TF1.5 is not Fortress Forever, but the old game for the old Half-Life (Orange cover!), after being mutilated by heavily drugged developers)

(Super)Shotgun feels Different (quakish, not hl-ish)
Rockets are _way_ faster
Conc-effect is the disgusting "stumble-left-and-right" effect
You can trimp up and down (bunnyhop on ascending slope to gain height and lose speed, on descending to win less height and gain speed (second version as of yet not implemented in ff))
Scouts have Flashbangs instead of caltrops
Snipers have flares as gren2
Whole gameplay is much faster, even though I'm not sure if you can look around as fast as you want to, while bunnyhopping (like in TFC and not like ETF).
No speedcap for bunnyhops
Reload can't be canceled
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
o_pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Is there a freeware download of QWTF? I'll try it and add my thoughts to the debate.
Get one of the CustomTF client packages:
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...2&postcount=21

Last edited by o_pizzahut; 12-28-2006 at 11:41 AM.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
o_mapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannibunny
Differences to TF1.5: (TF1.5 is not Fortress Forever, but the old game for the old Half-Life (Orange cover!), after being mutilated by heavily drugged developers)

(Super)Shotgun feels Different (quakish, not hl-ish)
Rockets are _way_ faster
Conc-effect is the disgusting "stumble-left-and-right" effect
You can trimp up and down (bunnyhop on ascending slope to gain height and lose speed, on descending to win less height and gain speed (second version as of yet not implemented in ff))
Scouts have Flashbangs instead of caltrops
Snipers have flares as gren2
Whole gameplay is much faster, even though I'm not sure if you can look around as fast as you want to, while bunnyhopping (like in TFC and not like ETF).
No speedcap for bunnyhops
Reload can't be canceled
That's pretty much what Q3F/ETF were like minus the flares and lack of speed cap.
o_mapex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 AM   #14
o_happypantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
No, man, it doesn't. It... it really doesn't.
actually it does, people from quake probably dont think so because when they go to TFC they probably cant bhop at all

(in quake you can just hold down spacebar to jump... only for a few hops, but then you can just let go of spacebar and just hold it down again immediatley..our mouse2/whatever you have +jump bound to.)

the air control is very similar, only things i can think of that is different is the little things, like not being able to shoot a rocket after you start reloading to cancel the reload, etc. and the rockets shoot way faster in qwtf, there isnt HH concing. and the conc effect.. well actually the conc effect is a pretty big deal, the tfc and qwtf conc effect are very very different.
o_happypantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #15
o_twincannon

If you can't "feel" the similarities between qwtf and tfc then you obviously haven't spent enough time as they're basically on the same engine. Air control and movement will probably hit home the most.

That said they are very, very different games.
o_twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypantz
actually it does, people from quake probably dont think so because when they go to TFC they probably cant bhop at all

(in quake you can just hold down spacebar to jump... only for a few hops, but then you can just let go of spacebar and just hold it down again immediatley..our mouse2/whatever you have +jump bound to.)

the air control is very similar, only things i can think of that is different is the little things, like not being able to shoot a rocket after you start reloading to cancel the reload, etc. and the rockets shoot way faster in qwtf, there isnt HH concing. and the conc effect.. well actually the conc effect is a pretty big deal, the tfc and qwtf conc effect are very very different.
I actually went from TFC to Quake. It feels a lot, lot smoother to me. Changing directions feels faster, curving feels smoother, and the lack of a speed cap makes everything seem a lot faster overall. The maps feel larger (except the various 2forts, most of which have ceilings an inch over the head, it seems). It just feels way different to me, especially going back and forth between them.