Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
o_rinsewind

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A Dev Question

A quick query I have for the Development Team struck me as I was thinking a little bit about FF today.

How much, if at all, do you guys (Development) still play TFC?

It's imperative to me. Yet your choice to answer, any of you, to any extent, will not sway my interest in the mod or change the fact of me asking the question regardless.

Against my better judgement (God Damn it I ramble!!) I'll tell you why I ask.

Considering the gameplay characteristics of TFC; I was interested on the pace/speed of the game and movement, level of detail in: stuctures, entities, models etc etc. Anyway! What hit me was, taking into account the source engine and it's capabilities, I wondered if the game will be (On a continuum) closer to the end of TFC (Fast Paced, clean/addictive sounds and movements, free-flow feel, simple structures) or a totally new game, because from my experience of playing hl2 and it's ranges of mods in and out of leagues, i'm anxious i'll find there will be too much level of detail and complexity about the game.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a new game, new engine, new face, the lot! Why would you use ANY of the components of it's older, dusty ancestor.

From most of the media, of which I haven't seen all and is why this post may seem nieve and spark ridicule in the eyes of you more knowledgeable followers, I can safely say things are looking excellent and the oncome of FF is highly awaited among thousands and thousands of gamers, me one of them.

I guess my hope is that, in the project, the design stage was not over-looked and enough components were considered. Being a 3rd party development, which I have also a little experience in, i know that resources, communication, commitment and motivation is harder to maintain. All I can say is that my opinion of the members of the development team and your game knowledge and experiences is more than adequate, docile and professional to make FF in too a bloody addictive game. Good work so far.
o_rinsewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
o_foxtrick

The whole aim I think is to acheive a constant state of new players that have accessability to higher tiers of play.

The end of TFC anyway was/is just less clueless-ish people, true enough maybe people argued less and gave less of a toss but still that can be a bad thing. You see back in around 2000 and 2001, when the game was really competitive and some leagues employed refereeing PER league game, a game could grind to a stop on one potshot in no-mans-land(NML). Those were great times, I dare say people preferred them if you experienced them, ofcourse nothing is worth getting worked up over but the plus's far out way the minus's I think.

Rest assured the ability for clean and fast paced play will be there, the movie you saw was an attack and defend map that is just pure chaos, and not so much organised compared to static-slow moving defences ala 2fort.
o_foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
o_-=bingo-bango=-

well said foxtrick
o_-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
o_ian.de

Yeah FF is being developed by people who played competitively in top tier TFC. They would do nothing to hinder its gameplay, I trust them on that more than anything valve and their money-grubbing hands could develop. They may however make it more accessable to new players, which is what we all want for the game.

Fortress games are fast-paced, they define the team-based fps genre imo. Ut2k4 is a great gimmic, but when it comes down to run and gun its all about fortress.
o_ian.de is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
o_ihmhi

Not to mention it has Mulchman on board, the only Dev to be used as a verb by TFC players.

Edit: Not counting Defrag, but that is more Windows and less TFC.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
o_tyrus

Eat
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
o_aftershock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinsewind
I guess my hope is that, in the project, the design stage was not over-looked and enough components were considered. Being a 3rd party development, which I have also a little experience in, i know that resources, communication, commitment and motivation is harder to maintain.

I think in the case of FF, the design stage was very detailed and developed. In fact its not the lack of people with clever minds for ideas and balance that are the problem - its the lack of people who will sit for hours and grind out the last few models/map tweaks/code.

When FF comes out, I am sure it will be a good game. All the beta testers love it. Now we just need to finish it off and get it out the door
o_aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
o_tfcog

If FF can be to TFC what CS:Source is to CS, I'll be so fucking happy.
o_tfcog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
o_paranoidkirb

DWP ruined CS:S for me.
I would rather have FF not make changes as great as CS:S did.
o_paranoidkirb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
o_fail

What great changes? CS:S has no major gameplay differences from CS. The weapon price change is hardly a great change. The pistol changes are also insignificant in terms of the core gampleay.
o_fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
o_nodnarb

I nhate when people make reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long posts
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb
I nhate when people make reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long posts
I hate when someone has nothing else to do that posting crap in threads with at least stuff worth reading.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 05:17 AM   #13
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
I think in the case of FF, the design stage was very detailed and developed. In fact its not the lack of people with clever minds for ideas and balance that are the problem - its the lack of people who will sit for hours and grind out the last few models/map tweaks/code.

When FF comes out, I am sure it will be a good game. All the beta testers love it. Now we just need to finish it off and get it out the door
I love you.

But to answer the question posed by this topic, I play very infrequently in leagues, a bit more often in more casual settings. I'm not sure if anyone is active anymore cept PHISH in TDA. More of the beta guys are still doing TFC I think..
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 06:52 AM   #14
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I bet all the member of TDA are beta testers
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote