Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
What do you think the problem is?

Three or four weeks ago, my 8800gt died. If you read my other thread, you would know this. So, I ordered a brand new 9800gt and put it in my case. I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Vista. I reinstalled the drivers for pretty much all of my components and updated the video card drivers. However, every gaming attempt with Fortress Forever lead to a crash. "The display driver nvldmmkm has stopped responding and successfully restored."

I managed to play TFC for an hour or so with the drivers that came with the CD from the 98gt box and it ran flawlessly. I have never seen TFC run as smoothly as it did with the 98gt when I had my 88gt. I enjoyed my brief hour of TFC and then tried once more to update my drivers, the new drivers leading to problems with both TFC and FF. Every time the map would load, the screen froze. Then it went black. Then it returned. Black. Return. Gone.

For the past two or three weeks I have occasionally booted into Windows Vista (I'm a Linux scrub now) and tried something that has popped into my head or I've read about. It usually leads to nothing new, and I boot back into Ubuntu and just quit for a while. Tonight, I tried something new.

I went into Vista, changed the theme to classic, and opened the game. When the game loaded, it seemed to be working. I selected Soldier, and it froze. This time I alt-tabbed and went to the options. I changed the refresh rate, then I set the processor priority for FF to 'below normal' and set the affinity for FF to only one core. I tabbed back in. Surprisingly, I was able to move around. I moved around the spawn of Palermo and .. it was working. I had never gotten this far before in FF, able to actually move around without a problem. However,

Once I fired a rocket or shot the wall with the super shotgun, it froze once more. I alt tabbed this time and checked the temperatures. Not bad, 50c on my cores at load, and the video card was only at 45-47c. These are normal temperatures, so. I tab back in and I'm still frozen. I tab out and find the refresh rate has reset itself. I change it back to what I had it on and re-entered. I could move once more. I decided to stand still and look around. I could do that. I fired my shotgun into the sky. Froze.

I checked temperatures. They were normal. I checked refresh rate. It wasn't reset (One time thing, I guess) and nothing had changed. Yet, whenever something big happens.. whenever something generates some strain, such as a rocket coming out of the RPG or my shotgun blowing a hole in a wall, the video stops updating until I alt tab. What could this be? Could it be the power supply? My PSU only reports 11.816 on the 12v. Could it be my processor? Well, it works at 50c when I'm tackling tons of programming files on Linux. Could it be the video card? Ugh.

EVGA wants me to RMA, but unfortunately that means no card for a week or two, which means no computer because I have no onboard. It has to get to their warehouse in California, they have to test it, and if they find a problem, they ship out a replacement that takes three days to get here. I'm covered under two years of warranty, so I can do the RMA anytime, but I want to make SURE that there's NOTHING left to do or consider before I do so.

Perhaps it's my room temperature, but the card has been acting strange tonight. My system is at 33c and the processor at 36c. The cores sit at around 45-50. The video card usually sits at 35-38 at night and when the heat of day comes around, it sits at 39-41. Tonight, it seems to rapidly shift between 38 to 41. Earlier, it climbed to 45, which I have never seen it hit when idle. This might be normal temperatures, but the rapid sway between 38 and 41 it does even when I load just a webpage makes no sense at all. 38, load new webpage, hits 41-42. Slowly drops back to 38.

So, what do you think?

Last edited by Bridget; 09-23-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Hmmm........

What version of Direct X are you using?

What version of Vista do you have?

dh

Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
gibz
Title title title title

Class/Position: Medic O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF, Water Battle
Affiliations: :e0: and n-t
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
You might have already visited this page but it couldn't hurt to post a link here.
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t75525.html
Don't be sarcastic or mad at me if you think I'm insulting your intelligence by sending you the results of a google search, lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN View Post
What version of Direct X are you using?

What version of Vista do you have?

dh
10 (9 in FF). Basic 32-bit.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Could be a Direcrt X issue........

first off to rule it out goto your Run command in the Program Files -> Accessories>System Tools. Type in "dxdiag" without the qoutes. Goto the display tab and run the tests.

Also what are you running your screen resolution at?

dh

Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Z4toichi

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Hi bridget, I have vista ultimate 64 bit and an 8800gtx, and i was getting the same error "The display driver nvldmmkm has stopped responding and successfully restored." this is also related to most of the other stuff your describing. I researched this a few months ago, and from what i remember its a common issue with nividia and vista. in order to alleviate this, I shut of AA and anistropic filtering and it went away. I have yet to try windows 7 in a gaming environment yet. I recently purchased a system from asus for my media center in the living room and it came out of the box wit the same issue, its plays 1080p fine, but some file formats like a standard dvd screener with an xvid codec can cause the error and i usually have to restart it and it runs fine afterwards. Anyway I would try disabling aa and anistropic filtering( i have mine set to bilinear).
Z4toichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Bridget
Banned

I disabled AA and all those extra texturing modes and what not. I can get further in game, I can move around (where as I could not before) but it still crashes either when I do something heavy like fire a rocket or grab the flag or it naturally expires and freezes so many seconds in.

I checked dxdiag and it returns no problems. Everything is enabled and the drivers, I think, are up to date. There's no 'test' option though, where would that be? I'm running my resolution at 1440x900.

EDIT: I just set my monitor down to 1280x1024 and switched from my specific monitor to 'generic monitor on 9800gt'. I joined the game, selected my team, and fired four rockets. Once the fourth rocket left my gun and I juked to the left, the game froze. Again, I haven't been able to actually select my team/move around so I've made some progress.

Yep, I can fire rockets now, one after another, but anything afterwords usually leads to a freeze.

Last edited by Bridget; 09-24-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Z4toichi

Yeah this is a tough one, there are as many fixes out there as there are people. some things that have worked are:
upgrading power supply
lowering system ram timings
removing a stick of ram (remove one, play game, repeat till works)
adjusting the voltage going to the ram
trying older drivers
removing the updates to vista (most say just the security updates)
lower the cards ram and gpu timings
many people have gone back to xp and the problem disappears.
some report this problem with windows 7 as well.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

I had the same problem and mine was a direct x issue at first..........

then it was a driver incompatibilty with some of the FF complied graphics options. Basically what I did was dumb down every graphics setting to medium or low until the problem went away. I can post my settings later but that is what I found I had to do since I was tired of testing different drivers.

dh

Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Z4toichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN View Post
then it was a driver incompatibilty with some of the FF complied graphics options. Basically what I did was dumb down every graphics setting to medium or low until the problem went away. I can post my settings later but that is what I found I had to do since I was tired of testing different drivers.

dh
While bridget hasnt said anything about this error popping up at other times, it often happens when playing video as well, and can happen on its own if the computer is up for a long time. It will happen with other games as well, But usually dumbing down the settings does offer improvement.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Bridget
Banned

It only happens in game.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
It's firefox.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #13
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
yeah bridget, you should try reinstalling firefox. that usually helps.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
Bridget
Banned

Wow, that fixed all my problems! Thanks! The check's in the mail. ;D

Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
glad to be of service

on another note, i also see nothing has changed around here. Scuzzy still bitches about random government shit, especially considering his annoying avatar. i see bridget is a beta tester for this game. Isnt the percentage of testers vs. non tester players...like 75 to 25?

(dont get butthurt over the above message im only joking around)

Last edited by greenday5494; 09-27-2009 at 12:21 AM.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
I don't like your jokes :/ so mean

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #17
hlstriker
QUAD ROCKET
Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
By chance do you have the 'nvidia forceware network access manager' installed? I think that's what it's called anyhow. If it's installed try removing it, rebooting, and testing FF.

That used to cause problems for me a few years ago, it's worth a shot.
hlstriker is offline   Reply With Quote