Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Skyrim MMO

http://bit.ly/IItEEq

OH NO MY LIFE IS OVER!!!

I actually have my doubts about how fun/well this would work out. A multiplayer mod is one thing. But idk how a whole spanking mmo will work out.

One thing I didn't like about skyrim is how lacking the cities were. I'm sure that a lot of us were hoping for some really epic cities. Most of them are really small, and that really doesn't sound like a good mmo experience. Allthough it set to take place “a millennium before the events of Skyrim". So who knows.

Idk, skyrim was amazing. But I have my doubts about an MMO adaption.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Could be incredible, could be crap. I wonder what MMO formula it will adhere to though... WoW, SWTOR...?
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Respect38
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: Hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Could be incredible, could be crap. I wonder what MMO formula it will adhere to though... WoW, SWTOR...?
Planetside...? :P
Respect38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I don't think Bethesda is going to pooch this one. They're smart, they follow the crowd long enough to see what they're doing and then switch it up a fuckton. Yeah, Oblivion and Skyrim had issues, but to millions of people they are fun, endless timesinks.

I actually had hoped for a Fallout MMO, which I know is also in their box, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day with this behemoth on the horizon.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
some how i doubt it will be inbetween. unfortunately this is something I don't even want. The reason I play these types of games is because they are single player.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-18-2012 at 02:35 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I don't think Bethesda is going to pooch this one. They're smart, they follow the crowd long enough to see what they're doing and then switch it up a fuckton. Yeah, Oblivion and Skyrim had issues, but to millions of people they are fun, endless timesinks.
Bethesda isn't making it, though. It's being made by ZeniMax Online Studios.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472749

I don't care for MMOs in general. I like ES games for exploring and discovering things, and the illusion is broken when there are 1000 people on the server who've explored everything first.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
http://bit.ly/IItEEq

OH NO MY LIFE IS OVER!!!

I actually have my doubts about how fun/well this would work out. A multiplayer mod is one thing. But idk how a whole spanking mmo will work out.

One thing I didn't like about skyrim is how lacking the cities were. I'm sure that a lot of us were hoping for some really epic cities. Most of them are really small, and that really doesn't sound like a good mmo experience. Allthough it set to take place “a millennium before the events of Skyrim". So who knows.

Idk, skyrim was amazing. But I have my doubts about an MMO adaption.
Elder Scrolls MMO*

And it's going to be bad. It's practically the same Machanical core that SWTOR used, same engine, and they've divided races into factions which pretty much destroys the element of immersion when it comes to trust. You're forced to pick a side. No player homes, no first person aspect, and more then likely, the end game is going to suck (just like SWTOR.) Pass up the title. Not sure what Bethesda was thinking this time around.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
How exactly are you related to Bethesda Softworks again?

ZeniMax Media owns both Bethesda Softworks as well as ZeniMax Online Studios. Bethesda makes AAA console-oriented titles, and ZeniMax Online (us!) makes MMOGs. Because we are all inside the same corporate structure, we share IP and because our offices are only about an hour apart, we can work closely with Bethesda's staff.
Straight from the ZeniMax website. I was actually looking for other titles they've made so as to get a good overview of what kind of product they put out, but I thought that name was familiar; they're all owned by ZeniMax Media, who owns id, Bethesda, Arkane.

Funny enough, I can find hits all over for their ZeniMax Online Studios, and references to the developers that ZeniMax owns, but I can't find anything that it has actually developed itself. Is it a new division freshly cut to put out the ES MMO?

You are a pirate!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Is it a new division freshly cut to put out the ES MMO?
That's how I was hearing it.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

I have no problem with them using an existing engine to put out a game, it's done all over the world. But if they're just tossing people and money at this, I don't see how they're going to pull it off. Bethesda might be part of ZeniMax, but it sounds like ZeniMax is the money and clout, not the brains nor the talent. Halo MMO anyone? 30 million sunk into it and it just disappears. These guys are pushing 300 mil... More money does not equal better games.

I wonder if they see the falling WoW numbers and smell blood?

You are a pirate!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
One thing I didn't like about skyrim is how lacking the cities were. I'm sure that a lot of us were hoping for some really epic cities. Most of them are really small, and that really doesn't sound like a good mmo experience.
Wow, it's refreshing to see someone level an actual criticism of Skyrim. I played it for 90 hours, and couldn't pick it back up. Todd Howard said that Skyrim would have everything that was great about Morrowind in it. It didn't. Morrowind was by far the best game in the Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim doesn't hold a candle to the experience it provided it's players. There were so many easter eggs, each city was ENTIRELY different from the next, it felt organic. Skyrim was boring in the RPG aspect, it recycled the same shit we've seen in every other RPG under the sun and covered up it's RPG deficiency with Micheal Bay-style wowism. Morrowind felt so organic and spontaneous, and as someone who has played a lot of games (and RPG's) it felt like every new area of the world held a new discovery that would enhance the plot that much more. There was a few annoying things about Morrowind, and Skyrim fixed them, and they even added some cool new things, but it's still an unpolished and undeveloped RPG.

So I'm not entirely off-topic, a Skyrim MMO is a terrible idea. The only reason it'll be successful is because of how many clueless gamers are out there who fawn over stupid fucking memes and latch to the crusty anuses of every new bandwagon trend that comes to town. With success comes pragmatism, and with pragmatism comes shitty games. It happens to every major publisher and developer. The bigger you get, the more window-licking mouth-breathers you have to please, and the worse your product gets. 'Wholesome' developers like Bethesda and even iD all fall into this trap.

/rant

Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Wow, it's refreshing to see someone level an actual criticism of Skyrim. I played it for 90 hours, and couldn't pick it back up. Todd Howard said that Skyrim would have everything that was great about Morrowind in it. It didn't. Morrowind was by far the best game in the Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim doesn't hold a candle to the experience it provided it's players. There were so many easter eggs, each city was ENTIRELY different from the next, it felt organic. Skyrim was boring in the RPG aspect, it recycled the same shit we've seen in every other RPG under the sun and covered up it's RPG deficiency with Micheal Bay-style wowism. Morrowind felt so organic and spontaneous, and as someone who has played a lot of games (and RPG's) it felt like every new area of the world held a new discovery that would enhance the plot that much more. There was a few annoying things about Morrowind, and Skyrim fixed them, and they even added some cool new things, but it's still an unpolished and undeveloped RPG.

So I'm not entirely off-topic, a Skyrim MMO is a terrible idea. The only reason it'll be successful is because of how many clueless gamers are out there who fawn over stupid fucking memes and latch to the crusty anuses of every new bandwagon trend that comes to town. With success comes pragmatism, and with pragmatism comes shitty games. It happens to every major publisher and developer. The bigger you get, the more window-licking mouth-breathers you have to please, and the worse your product gets. 'Wholesome' developers like Bethesda and even iD all fall into this trap.

/rant
Omg baby. We can talk about what Skyrim did wrong all day. I really like skyrim, but it's deffinately a let down compared to Morrowind. Consolized all to hell basicly.

I really liked how in Morrowind, you could talk to anyone. They might not have much to say. But you could ask anyone about rumors, or who they are, etc etc. I hate how you can no longer attack or spell cast in the air, not to mention no flying period. Lack of acrobatics and athletics killed it for me as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
I really like skyrim, but it's deffinately a let down compared to Morrowind. Consolized all to hell basicly.
In the IGN article, Bethesda even classifies itself as a console RPG game designer. That seals the deal...

Skyrim is leagues below Morrowind in immersiveness but its not a bad game. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and it's definitely the best this generation has ever seen. My son watched me play Morrowind, but he didn't play it, was too young to be interested, and while he could appreciate it to an extent, it would not be a game he liked to play.

You are a pirate!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

That's really sad.