Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
o_caesium

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
ff_aardvark (beta2 download and beta3 screenshots)

ff_aardvark is an unofficial CTF map for Fortress Forever. Follow the link below for detailed information on the map, screenshots, and downloads. Please use this thread to ask questions or suggest ideas about the map.

ff_aardvark website (information, screenshots, downloads)

Here's a taster (click to see fullsize):

More screenshots here

Download ff_aardvark here

Enjoy

Last edited by o_caesium; 01-09-2007 at 09:19 AM.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
o_sidd42

Yay finally the public release of ff_aardvark!
There's been a lot of work gone into this one..
o_sidd42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
o_puppychow

looks neat, but how you copied the ff website makes me feel dirty.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
looks neat, but how you copied the ff website makes me feel dirty.
if you read the website, it says v clearly:
"The design of this website is coppied from the Fortress Forever website by FriedBunny with his permission, because I know nothing about making websites, and I'm making a map not a website.. "

Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
o_mikequist

The layout looks cool, but the texturing is gross. I'm sorry. But if you are looking for constructive criticism, make it not look like a 5 year old typed blue in to the texture search, then pasted the first result randomly around the base. It need's work. It's layout looks interesting though. The grass area above the river to the right of the bridge is really awkward too.
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
even so, why does a map need a website? just give it a thread like any other.

i agree with puppychow on this one, and just because permission was granted, it doesnt sway my opinion that you could have easily got away with a generated site, or even simply just a thread, like here.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
even so, why does a map need a website? just give it a thread like any other.

i agree with puppychow on this one, and just because permission was granted, it doesnt sway my opinion that you could have easily got away with a generated site, or even simply just a thread, like here.
I wanted to do a website so that I could put together all the information on the map in one easy to browse resource. If ppl want specific questions, then yeah, the forum is a great place for that as I said. I used the FF layout because, as I also said already, I don't know anthing about websites, and the FF one is nice (oh, and this is an FF map).

PS this is a website also you know yea?

Last edited by o_caesium; 03-23-2006 at 12:56 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #8
o_aftershock

Who cares if he made a website or used a thread? Seriously, why not actually discuss the map?

I think the map is looking promising personally. Its nice to be able to download something and run around in it, even if it is 30meg :P

The midmap seems a bit bumpy for hopping around tho.

Plank bit is a bit random :E

I really like the flag room, lots of places to put the SG and you have a nice view over the midmap (much better than being stuck in a dark flag room all map !!)

One thing is you can basically see spawn to spawn :P 4 def sniper?

Can you conc and slide up the ramp to security? It looks like its possible, especially with a double conc from FD..

Last edited by o_aftershock; 03-23-2006 at 01:20 AM.
o_aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
o_balls

great map, think it will play really well once its finished! (its being FF aswell)
o_balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #10
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
Can you conc and slide up the ramp to security? It looks like its possible, especially with a double conc from FD..
Obviously I don't know how it will be in FF yet, but currently in the HL2 version if you come sliding up the main ramp fast, then yes you can make it to security in one move if you go really fast. However, I don't know if that will be possible in FF (maybe if you get a lot of speed from multiple concs), so other options open to the offy trying to get security are clearly to use another conc, or steer your main ramp slide carefully so you hit the trim on the floor on the left of the security bridge which then sends you trimping up to security

Old 03-23-2006, 02:01 AM   #11
o_kam

Probably the most complete map so far, and it's lookin' good... Except for that base flag window corrugated iron texture!

Rest of it is pretty schmick though, and seems very much a ramp/conc oriented map.

Oh I there's a better grass texture you can use imo~
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #12
o_eat

Ive been trying to talk to you on irc caes. I played this and really liked it (love the blue glass) but the window at the front of the base is a bit no no in vis terms. With two bases you will be able to see from one fr to the other and everything in between. I think the guy at Nasa would be the only person who could play it at above 10fps
It would be a shame to lose the window but I see no other alternative really. Maybe a snipe deck could be put in.
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #13
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat
Ive been trying to talk to you on irc caes. I played this and really liked it (love the blue glass) but the window at the front of the base is a bit no no in vis terms. With two bases you will be able to see from one fr to the other and everything in between. I think the guy at Nasa would be the only person who could play it at above 10fps
It would be a shame to lose the window but I see no other alternative really. Maybe a snipe deck could be put in.
It's ok, we've got a plan regarding that, we can use areaportals to make the window become transparent/opaque at different distances (so basically from the outside of the base the window will fade to transparent at a set distance, so that only one is window is transparent at any time, but from the inside you can always see out). We haven't implemented this yet but we will soon. Phil (sid) was doing some testing of it and it seemed to do the trick perfectly. I hope we haven't misunderstood how areaportals work (pls slap me hard if we have!)

PS It seems some ppl have been having trouble getting them to work right in multiplayer, but some ppl have so it should be possible (thread about areaportals in multiplayer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
Probably the most complete map so far, and it's lookin' good... Except for that base flag window corrugated iron texture!

Rest of it is pretty schmick though, and seems very much a ramp/conc oriented map.

Oh I there's a better grass texture you can use imo~
If there's a better grass I'd love to know the name please, cos that one repeats a little too much but it's the best we've found so far. As for the corrugated front of the base texture, there are two reasons for it. Firstly I want it to feel a bit cartoony, fortressy, "THIS IS THE RED BASE!" type of thing. Secondly if I was really making such a construction it would be a sensible, tough, low cost material to use Btw everyone here (including me) also thought it was way too lame to start with, but it's grown on all of us fast. It's a very easy thing to change of course, and I am open to trying different textures there. Sometime I might do a few compiles with other textures there and post screenshots if people suggest a few textures to try.

Last edited by o_caesium; 03-23-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
o_kam

blenddirtgrass008a

Old 03-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
blenddirtgrass008a
Right, but what grass texture is that based on? (that's a blend texture clearly). the outside ones are custom made, so to change the grass is as easy as changing one line in a few text files, but I need the name of the grass only texture. I'm guessing if I look in the gcf under materials I can find the blenddirtgrass008a.vmt and it will tell me there.

EDIT: for future reference it's "nature/dirtfloor006a", but I prefer the one that's on atm.

Last edited by o_caesium; 03-23-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Looks good. Love the lighting, and the big windows in the ceiling. The texturing's alright, but you could really use some trim. Watching two textures hit each other like that at a corner looks really bad, and the sniper bay window thingy in the front of the base looks like it's just floating there.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
o_kam

You might wanna specify wtf you're talking about because there's trim pretty much everywhere.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
o_ginger lord

The blue glass is nice!
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
here
here on the left

I guess I only notice it when it's not really there? Looking back over it you do have a lot of trim already. Ah well.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #20
o_stino

Camera System
- When your team's generator is disabled, you're team's camera system turns off.
- When your team's generator comes back online, your team's camera system turns on. The enemy team's camera system is also deactivated, due to your team's radio jammer being activated

just tell me how!

you can only use one camera in a whole level
no, not one camera, but all screens have to refer at the same cam.
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote