zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
If you couldn't kill a HW in TFC in one shot, you need aiming lessons!
Such a shame SLv2 is gone . Some of those snipers outdid hackers.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #202
yukai

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
:totally good job
:SG is too sensitive and less visible
:HWG is too powerful
:so it's too difficult to get the flag for non-tfc players
:and many models are less visible, especially flag
:hitsound for sniper rifle is needed
:a few bugs remain (killlog issue etc)

Old 09-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #203
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
yo, rookie, the sniper has always been able to insta kill a HW in tfc, maybe you just wernt a good enough of a shot
wrong. I have never been headshotted in TFC as HWG and killed in one shot....has never happened to me. So...I don't know what version of TFC you are playing nub...
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #204
Thormier

Such a great game and alot of fun , will be amazing to play matches !
Thormier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #205
avirox

Wow, what a great fortress mod you guys have done here! The first map I loaded up was ff_well and I must say I had a blast. Gameplay and maps seem more true to TFC than to the other fortress games (but I guess that's source engine for ya), but that's o.k. since I enjoyed TFC for a little while when it was new. I noticed that bunnyhopping was left in, which made the gameplay feel a little more on the qwtf side, albeit without as massive a speed gain. Auto-reloading is nice too, as I find myself pressing R much less Since fortress is by no means a new concept, most people I played with knew basically what they were doing so it was fun to work as a team and really help each other out to reach the goal(s). I love the new spy death feign/invisibility cloak ability - can't say how many times I used this to fool some naive hwguys

As for the maps - they use beautifully high-res textures and I have seen my vmem usage go over 310mb (which is really high for a source mod). Some parts of ff_well chug even on my 8800GTS. Other than minor performance issues (and I say minor because the framerate is not impacted enough to hinder gameplay) the maps are wonderful recreations, and the new ones like cornfields are truly fun to play.

However, out of all the good - and there is a lot! - I just can't help but notice a lot of areas which can use some "tweaking" and polishing. First off there's no animation for reloading the single barrel SG. Other animations like the RL reloading seem to jerk a bit. I've played on several servers of 20 ping and less and have still noticed this. Many doors and world objects tend to jerk a little bit too, though that's not a huge problem. My biggest gripe is that something seems a little wacky with prediction - grenades and rockets in particular; they spawn in front of you for a split second and then get projected. Maybe it's just me, and I haven't played hl2 multiplayer mods much.

Over all the mod is excellent, and most importantly quite fun. Hope to backstab some of ya's on the servers (look out for a crazy spy named XavioR!)

Old 09-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #206
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
Well thought out post, you get an A+ in todays class!!
No joke!! We need more opinion posts like that!! No flames, no troll-bait, just the opinions layed out in a nice, logical manner.

If we could issue Kudo's...I'd give 2!
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #207
Lyability

Wow, its been a long time since I was at this site! I couldn't remember my original username/login... Thanks for sticking with it guys the mod was hella-fun to play!

I was playing last night, and I was having fun! I was laughing, joking, fragging, dying... and I was happy about it. Even my wife is pleased. She's probably happy because I had something other than beer and sex on my mind... Reason I'm saying this is for at least the past year ( at least!) online FPS have sucked. I feel like I've come home again.

I have not seen many major issues, after a good 12 hours of playing, no crashes or issues. My only observation is some of the maps, which are beautiful by the way, felt too small. After running around in them, I can recognize them as the newer counterparts, but the size feels wrong.

All in all incredible work guys! Thankyou!
Lyability is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #208
silentassassin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
wrong. I have never been headshotted in TFC as HWG and killed in one shot....has never happened to me. So...I don't know what version of TFC you are playing nub...
your wrong, sniper was my main class in tfc and ive killed a hwg in several occasions in 1 shot to the head. you just need the rifle fully charged

Old 09-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #209
BobTheChainsaw

Arrrgh, Fortress forever keeps motherfucking crashing. I've done everything to stop it.

TF2 better not crash as much as this.
BobTheChainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #210
Unknownfigure

I think the developers did a GREAT job, but I also think I will not continue playing.

As a long time TFC Veteran, I have some pet peeves, and I forgot that with so many people, many of them will get on my nerves with these. Example: I hate AR noobs. Now, I don't hate the use of AR, but I hate it when I am getting "AR sniped," and since my class-of-choice has been medic for a long time, you can imagine how frustrating it is to be playing on a server full of ARing people, mostly because if you are getting AR sniped from a pretty far distance, and you are a medic, there is little you can do besides hope you still have a conc left to get to the bastard and pwn him with the flying-circling-shotty maneuver.

Besides that, I'm not finding any good communities for Fortress Forever. I never played at Oldtimers (and don't really intend to), and my home server, Axl's, will not be hosting a Fortress-Forever server. Combine that and a few crashing bugs... I might have to stop playing. I am going to have to either join a clan, or hope someone opens up a server and gets a good community flowing of some pretty cool people. If not, I'll just go back to TFC, but stop playing everything once Impulse changes their server to TF2, since I won't upgrade just to make that shit look nice.
Unknownfigure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #211
IvaQuaL

TFC's community didn't form three days after release.
IvaQuaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #212
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvaQuaL
TFC's community didn't form three days after release.
Yeah, and that could be a problem. People are so used to instant gratification that they may not wait for a comunity to form/grow. The least these people could do it be patient and wait. However, I'd really like to see ppl taking action. If the community is not where it should be, help it grow.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #213
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
The community is here...it has been for a long time. The community of people following the developement of the game, some giving input, others just lurking. It's a matter of keeping the community growing.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #214
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownfigure
I think the developers did a GREAT job, but I also think I will not continue playing.

As a long time TFC Veteran, I have some pet peeves, and I forgot that with so many people, many of them will get on my nerves with these. Example: I hate AR noobs. Now, I don't hate the use of AR, but I hate it when I am getting "AR sniped," and since my class-of-choice has been medic for a long time, you can imagine how frustrating it is to be playing on a server full of ARing people, mostly because if you are getting AR sniped from a pretty far distance, and you are a medic, there is little you can do besides hope you still have a conc left to get to the bastard and pwn him with the flying-circling-shotty maneuver.

Besides that, I'm not finding any good communities for Fortress Forever. I never played at Oldtimers (and don't really intend to), and my home server, Axl's, will not be hosting a Fortress-Forever server. Combine that and a few crashing bugs... I might have to stop playing. I am going to have to either join a clan, or hope someone opens up a server and gets a good community flowing of some pretty cool people. If not, I'll just go back to TFC, but stop playing everything once Impulse changes their server to TF2, since I won't upgrade just to make that shit look nice.
NamelessGuy? Guy Incognito?

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #215
Unknownfigure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
NamelessGuy? Guy Incognito?
Yes. As well as Egg_Shen, Dr.Retard, Axl, Cassius, -oneeyesniper-, -sniperwife-, Nuklear, the other what? thirty more regulars?

All the regulars there. Majority wants a TF2 server and NOT an FF server. But it's whatever, I'll find an FF community sooner or later. (Looking for a clan right now. I want some league play with this game, reminds me of the really early TFC days.)
Unknownfigure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #216
Dr. Vision

Hell of alota fun, stays true to the originals. Great work, great stuff. Keep it up

Doc

Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #217
JactusCack

Well apart from all the servers seeming to be playing ff_well....

Im struggling to come to terms with movement but I think thats as much to do with my new PC desk/mouse. I also think my PC could do with a better graphics card because there seems to be some kind of jerkiness that only the source engine has dealt to my PC.

I am annoyed by the HW cannon having the heat thing, why change what was already a good system? Call me a llama I know but I preferred what we had on TFC.

Also I can conc reasonably well but not as high as TFC. For example concing from front door well to the enemy roof seems impossible.

One thing I found that is probably widespread common knowledge but I am delighted with finding it out myself :P is that the engineer railgun can be used if shot at the ground to give yourself a boost kind of conc style. You can actually get fairly high!

Obviously the game has been rushed out before schedule, but I'm curious as to why? We've always been told the game would be released when its finished but clearly there are many inconsistencies. For example the Medipack animation, single shotty reload animation.. I thought we were strictly releasing this when its DONE? Oh well if its really that important to beat TF2 to the market - personally I'm dubious but then again I didnt make this game.

I guess im struggling to come to terms with how different this is to TFC. I was kind of expecting a faithful remake with basically a source overhaul but Well is completely different and I notice in most maps the mapper has been keen to put curved walls in where possible probably to help the attacker who is concing get to their goal quicker. This can be observed in the well front door and Shutdown directly across from the flag.

Minor gripes really...
JactusCack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #218
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
yeah, the architecture is full of curves. TFC maps were designed with a ruler.

but you're right, it's all to help the offy crowds. we concluded that TFC was very defence orientated.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #219
JactusCack

Thought I better add I really enjoy it though
JactusCack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #220
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
one main gripe i have is my shitty graphics card, lol. other than that, it is very fun to play. it is not supioer to TFC, and TFC inst supioer to FF. they both are different, and i like something different once in a while ;p. one other gripe is the solly and pyro might be overpowered a tad, but pyro is amazingly fun to play now!!
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote