Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Undesirable
Not A Hacker

Class/Position: Offensive Sniper
Gametype: Semi-CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Alternate Fire Mode Ideas

Alternate fire (mouse 2) on the shotguns could give a double blast of shells but with a larger spread.

A new sniper rifle slot could be introduced that shoots EMP rounds, which deal more damage to engineer utilities, but far less to personnel. Normal rounds would, conversely, do far less damage to engineer utilities than they do now. The EMP rifle could also have a secondary effect when striking enemy personnel such as temporarily shutting down their HUD including crosshairs and sniper lasers, and perhaps causing a slight knock-back effect (but barely any damage to organic targets) in the vicinity of the impact. Also the colour of the laser should change colour (to blue) when the EMP rifle is being charged up.

The right mouse button for the medipack already throws them on the ground, but that could be changed to separate bind, which would free up mouse 2 for the medipack to have another debilitating effect, such as temporary paralysis and vision impairment, similar to the spy's tranq gun. This may be enough to satisfy people who think infection spreading should remain in FF.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) on the railgun could allow the engineer to shoot globs of nanobots at his / her sentry guns and dispensers in order to repair them remotely. Of course, the amount of damage repaired would depend on the charge level of the rail gun, and it would be less effective and efficient overall than the wrench at repairing damage.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) for the rocket launcher could be modified to allow soldiers to blow their loads all at once, but then of course they'd have to reload sooner.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) on the crowbar could be used to power up harder swings for more damage, with more potential for gibbing, for the ultimate humiliation.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) on the tranq gun could shoot a tracking / tag dart that travels much faster through the air than the tranq projectile, and allows spies to remain disguised as they reveal enemy positions to their team. Sentry guns and dispensers should also be able to be tagged.

Flash bombs for spies' secondary grenade instead of gas capsules!

Alternate fire (mouse 2) held down on the autocannon could fire a burst with a much larger cone of fire, but eating up ammo twice as quickly as Chilledsanity suggested.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) held down on the super nailgun could power up a larger 'bolt' projectile that deals much more damage than standard nails when released, and can ricochet off walls once or twice. Critical shots to the head or legs are also a possibility.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) held down on the standard nailgun could also generate bolts that are less powerful than the super nailgun's and without the critical hit ability, but still deal substantially more damage than individual standard nails when unleashed.

Alternate fire (mouse 2) on the knife could allow a spy to lunge straight forwards slightly, giving him that extra bit of reach for those times when lag makes it difficult to judge whether you're within stabbing range. There should be a hefty recharge period so it isn't used to gain speed all the time, though.

Last edited by Undesirable; 04-10-2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Extensive Editing
Undesirable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
battery
D&A Member

If you are not happy with the balance between classes, you should go through the proper route of discussion, negotiation, and clan politics to push the issues. You are wasting good ideas here. The sneaky way you pose your opinion is just going to make people more suspicious and less receptive.
________
Bed Bath And Beyond Gift Card

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 12:14 PM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undesirable View Post
Alternate fire for the rocket launcher could be modified to allow soldiers to blow their loads all at once, but then of course they'd have to reload sooner.
I see what you did there.

Also, no.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Undesirable
Not A Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
Also, no.
But yes to all the others? Nice!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
No.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
maybe alternate fire could make soldiers in the same room blow each other's rockets?
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I proposed a while back that hwguy should have 2 firing modes. The default should be a smaller and more accurate cone of fire, the alternate would be a much wider cone that SPRAYS the ammo (similar to full-blast on 2.0), but chews through ammo. It would add more skill, depth, and ability to the class mitigating between the two modes for different situations.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Jimyd
[]< ,,\/_ ^_~ _\/,, >[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
I proposed a while back that hwguy should have 2 firing modes. The default should be a smaller and more accurate cone of fire, the alternate would be a much wider cone that SPRAYS the ammo (similar to full-blast on 2.0), but chews through ammo. It would add more skill, depth, and ability to the class mitigating between the two modes for different situations.
Everyone should go look at Unreal (Team) Fortress videos. That game got it right, just the game never became "mainstream" like TFC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+Fortress&aq=f

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-for...al-fortress-v1

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-fortress

http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament/mods

Go install it and check it out.

The DEVs could really learn something by playing this game and just checking out all the features for the classes.

Most notably the Spy and the Engineer.

Last edited by Jimyd; 04-07-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Jimyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
maximi
pie
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I can has CRITS plox?!
maximi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Lenn
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
not bad

I like the ideas, but instead of doing a major leet crowbar attack, why not just trow it at a enemy. God id love that
Lenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Undesirable
Not A Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenn View Post
I like the ideas, but instead of doing a major leet crowbar attack, why not just trow it at a enemy. God id love that
That could still be incorporated with mouse 3 when the crowbar is equipped.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

even in this day and age, i'd rather not bind anything important by default to mouse3, as it's often doubled up as a wheel, which by default is bound to change weapon.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Undesirable
Not A Hacker

You're quite right, it could be awkward for those people who use the quick-switch option. I personally use the number keys for more precise weapon selection, but that's just my preference. Hmm, what to choose for a potential alternate fire button? There's plenty of options, but none as close to hand as mouse3. Any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

the natural choice is mouse2, but where would the current special commands go?

to be honest, the special commands are effectively alt fire.

Last edited by mervaka; 04-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
Undesirable
Not A Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
to be honest, the special commands are effectively alt fire.
I guess what I'm really trying to say in this thread is that some of the weapons that don't have a special command, such as the shotguns, tranq gun and railgun; it would be an interesting idea to give them a new function. In those cases, another bind would not need to be introduced, but for my suggestions to combine timed / detonated pipes to the same gun, or an alternative fire for the sniper rifle, would require a new bind.

I have now edited my original post extensively so that a new bind is not necessary, except possibly for the medic dropping medipacks.

By the way, I live in a county next door to you.

Last edited by Undesirable; 04-10-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #16
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

that must be devon!

well in my personal opinion, having the current weapon switch is absolutely central to the roles where they appear (sol/hw/pyro)

i'll reply to your edited OP tomorrow when i'm not half asleep ;/