Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Thank you, Captain Obvious. Maybe you missed the small, yet important word "all" in there...

Valve has proven lately that they care more about money than they do about their customers.
i seriously disagree with that. Look at CoD. New one comes out every year. They release shitty map packs for a lot of money. Valve? Releases new weapons, achievements, maps, and gamemodes every 2 months. For free. Now if thats caring for your customers i do not know what is. if you refer to L4D, I'd agree.

But what irks me is how there is random weapons drops. As a TF2 player, i do NOT want that bullshit
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #42
greenday5494
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFrog View Post
True. One edge QWTF/TFC have over TF2 is attributed simply to its age. It has a whole nostalgia factor that TF2 won't be able to recreate. I'm sure there may be some kids right now who play TF2 and will one day look to it as the cornerstone of their childhood, but probably not in the way that Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, Quake, and Half-Life have touched our lives.

People will always return to TFC just to look at the old maps again, or to hear the "Excuse me! I'm in need of medical attention!", or to do some conc jumping. TFC has been dying, but it's been doing so very slowly and those who remained loyal to it still are loyal. TF2's popularity has already died down a fair bit - and I'll tell you this much. I don't see any leagues or competitions or popular servers with tight, close-knit friendly communities around for it, really. And those are the things that keep a game (especially a Team Fortress game) alive.
I lol'd You never played any leages for TF2 then. TF2 is very much alive. As is it's leagues. And people will feel nostaglic about it. The heavy? I love seeing/hearing him. the insane german medic? Fucking hilarious. I could go on and on about how great all the classes and characeters are. But this random weapons drop? It's BS.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #43
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism View Post
STFU 583.

Yes im calling you by your number cuz im PISSED! u dirty fanboy
STFU...223? Is that your number? I don't even remember you never wear it.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:20 AM   #44
Terminus Est
Where did he touch you?

Class/Position: D HWGuy
Gametype: Any as long as it has a nice place to camp and some nice targets for my AC
Send a message via AIM to Terminus Est
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494 View Post
I lol'd You never played any leages for TF2 then. TF2 is very much alive. As is it's leagues. And people will feel nostaglic about it. The heavy? I love seeing/hearing him. the insane german medic? Fucking hilarious. I could go on and on about how great all the classes and characeters are. But this random weapons drop? It's BS.
Where is the proof that plans for random weapon drops even exist and the new variables for weapons aren't just there for the unlockable sets that will surely come out for the remaining classes? Never mind that current unlockable weapons are by and large worse than the standard ones, and thus hardly anyone uses them. Out of several hundred Heavies I've fought in TF2, I have not been killed by one Heavy wielding Natascha.
Terminus Est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #45
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur View Post
STFU...223? Is that your number? I don't even remember you never wear it.
ouch

imma delete u off my buddylist bitch

maybe you would remember if you played FF....
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #46
Wisp

A lot of the points you guys have made I think are completely untrue.

Quote:
True. One edge QWTF/TFC have over TF2 is attributed simply to its age. It has a whole nostalgia factor that TF2 won't be able to recreate.
For you. You don't like it, so obviously there will be no nostalgia. Thousands of players think its infinitely better than TFC. Whether or not that is true is up for debate, but it's just a simple fact that there is a vast community of fans.

Quote:
I don't see any leagues or competitions or popular servers with tight, close-knit friendly communities around for it, really. And those are the things that keep a game (especially a Team Fortress game) alive.
What do you know?

TF2 has one of the most tight-knit competitive communities of any game. It's known for that.

If you were on the popular TF2 IRC channels and were on the GameReplays forums or the CEVO forums, you might know this.

Quote:
Valve has proven lately that they care more about money than they do about their customers.
Mhmm...

Corporate greed must be behind the 4 new maps and 5 arenas we have seen, and the 12 new weapons too!
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #47
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

tbh I don't have a problem with TF2. I'm glad Valve managed to break away from all the Quake elements that the old TF games. I like Quake elements like Nailguns, big explosions, Quad Damage, and movement skills, but seeing those elements in a 2007 game released by a professional game studio would would be pretty silly.

Plus, I like how Valve is constantly updating the game and adding in new features to keep casual players (like me) playing the game. I probably would've stopped playing TF2 if it weren't for all of the neat stuff they've added, like the unlocks, achievements and new maps.

Quote:
For you. You don't like it, so obviously there will be no nostalgia. Thousands of players think its infinitely better than TFC. Whether or not that is true is up for debate, but it's just a simple fact that there is a vast community of fans.
That's mostly because of the differences between gamers that existed when TFC was first released and current gamers. Today's gamers want a slower-paced "tactical" game where everyone has defined roles based on their weapon loadout. the TFC and QWTF-era gamers didn't mind there being some overlap in certain classes because they were used to being "jack-of-all-trades" because of how you needed to know and utilize a lot of skills in Quake deathmatch. Therefore, they didn't have a problem with things like the Medic being able to heal and cap the flag because they were used to multitasking.

Last edited by Hirohito; 04-23-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #48
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism View Post
ouch

imma delete u off my buddylist bitch

maybe you would remember if you played FF....
Last time I played FF (Not to long ago, did some trimp maps.) you were going by Partial :P

Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #49
Wisp

Can't seem to edit my post.

Well, I meant Got Frag not Game Replays. Sorry for the error.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 AM   #50
greenday5494
D&A Member

yea, TF2's community is actually really good. Farr better than CS, thats for sure.

And valve's constant updating is awesome. But i REALLY hope this weapon pickup isnt real

Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #51
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
Wha? MMORPG style tf2? No wai! Screw this! I'm uninstalling EVERYTHING valve on my computer and going back to QWTF! Who's with me?!?! /sarcasm

I don't care what Valve does. I doubt they will make it into an MMORPG style game. That would be ludacris!

Anyways, I've been thinking back to the good old days of Quake TF. I miss them. Been thinking about re-installing just for kicks and giggles. Just need a server to play on.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #52
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Hook me up with the installs, I'll host one from my office.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #53
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
Hook me up with the installs, I'll host one from my office.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #54
StoneFrog
Born to Frag.

Class/Position: Demoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Anyways, I've been thinking back to the good old days of Quake TF. I miss them. Been thinking about re-installing just for kicks and giggles. Just need a server to play on.
Try Custom-TF. It's essentially good old QWTF, although it has some other goodies such as the ability to design your own class. You can still play the preset classes however. It's great.

I don't know why the blog is so...random, but the forums are pretty alive (at least for a game from 1996).

Custom-TF is mostly played on the Phoenix Labs servers. There's this co-op variant which has taken a toll on the community (damnit, as fun as it is to take down a Shambler as a HWGuy, I don't see the point), but on weekends and at night the standard server comes to life.
StoneFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #55
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

All they're doing is adding new weapons. Just a whole lot of them at once. It's not a role-playing game. Yes the weapons do seem to "drop", but not off of mobs, but other people while you play the game like normal. They'll have upsides and downsides, just like the unlockables.

And oh noes, hats. They're likely to do nothing but...at least fuck up spy disguises.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #56
OneManArmy
Ka-boom!

Class/Position: Demo, Solly, Pyro
Gametype: CTF
Everyone, go play CPMA NTF :> http://www.promode.org/wiki/index.php/NTF
OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #57
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

TF2's Future

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1124

To piggy back on a thread speculating about Valve's direction with TF2, here's a Shacknews interview with Robin Walker...I found it very intriguing, I hope the FF Dev's can capitalize on where Valve is missing with this...stranger things have happened...
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 AM   #58
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

It's nice that Team Fortress 2 is deviating from the Fortress series this much.

Maybe if people like the original enough after this update comes out, they would switch to Fortress Forever. Lulzy.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 AM   #59
Doctor Zyo
Manic Necrophiliac

Class/Position: O: Spy D: Engineer
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Eternal Order
Send a message via AIM to Doctor Zyo Send a message via MSN to Doctor Zyo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Zyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
It's nice that Team Fortress 2 is deviating from the Fortress series this much.

Maybe if people like the original enough after this update comes out, they would switch to Fortress Forever. Lulzy.
I can honestly say, considering the learning gap they'd have to overcome, they'd probably just sooner put a Bullet in their own head.
Doctor Zyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #60
46 and 2
I am Redeye for anything.

Class/Position: Def NG
Affiliations: [TALOS]
I dont know what to say.
46 and 2 is offline   Reply With Quote