Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 09-02-2006, 04:31 AM   #1
o_balls

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Question about Well

http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_well_21

As you can quite clearly see in that screenshot, the attic and entrance to RR are not in line as it is in TFC atm making it impossible to run around the corner and conc up there in one swift move.

My main question is why? Obviously eat knows that the RR to attic conc is a very popular one and can usually be the make or break point for offy, so why has he decided to take it out? Its hard to say without actually playing it myself, but from what i can see it looks like its gonna be even more defense friendly than it currently is in TFC .

Would the dev team care to give some insight as to how it plays and hopefully prove me completely wrong? I just hope that it'll will no longer be a bastard to offy on.
o_balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
o_donny

You call multiple enterances to the base + water enterance a defense friendly? Like the 1 door werent hard to protect even if you had 2 SGs HWguy and a demo there.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
o_player

I too share your concerns, Balls. I guess, unless we get an explanation, we will just have to wait until the release of Fortress Forever.

Oh, and Donny, Well is very defense friendly and if the front door consisted of what you have suggested, it would be practically impossible to pass the front door stage to reach the ramp room; and the water route is a risky strategy that involves mostly death to the offence unless the HW has been weaked, or is in the flag room helping out with the defence there.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
o_dr zoidberg

they made more entrances http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_well_11
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
o_player

Those are not entrances into the base... They are entrances leading to the upper-most part of the base ie. the roof. That is where all the sniping/sentry gun-building happens on public servers.

Oh yay! No more enemy repsawns on the roof now teleporters have been abandoned :P

EDIT: Unless half way up those ladders/lifts to the roof is a door that allows you to enter the battelments.

Last edited by o_player; 09-02-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
o_dr zoidberg

yeah... and you've obviously never played well.
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
o_doom

all i can say is when everyone plays FF's Well for the first time it'll be interesting seeing people exploring and such. or in other words "well will be different yet the same"
o_doom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
o_nodnarb

exactly, I can't wait for FF
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
o_balls

I cant see how anyone could disagree that its not defense friendly. We're talking clan matches here, and the usual setup is a soldier at each side of FD, SG and soldier in FR and a HW protecting the water tunnel FR side so he can help out with any incomings T.

One possiblity in that pic is that you'll be able to use a soldier RR on his own, along with the rest of the def allowing for 4 offy, which would obviously speed things up on the offy side. Just hope thats what eat has intended!

Old 09-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
For one the side respawns are slightly farther back, and with the entrance to rr change it may make putting a soldier in the ramp room and 1 at the FD a better option.

It was always played 9v9 in north america and the scores were still generally 2-0 1-0 (with 4 offense) at the top level. How anyone capped 5/3 is beyond me.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
o_luminous

it does look like it has been slightly influenced by the rr styling of raiden, which would be quite cool
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Uh... they're not in line? It looks like it's right over it, except you've got that walkway blocking your view.

Here's a better shot: http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_well_7

Last edited by Circuitous; 09-02-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
o_darksoul

incorrect
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
o_balls

Yeah, its not in line still.. :P

Crappy picture, but as you can see from there you can walk straight out of resup and be in line with the attic. In the FF_well version the attic is off center. One thing i did notice though is that huge hole that leads up onto the upper ledge (that takes you to balc). Could do some interesting moves with that i supoose...

Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg
yeah... and you've obviously never played well.
I believe I have.

Also, when I said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Those are not entrances into the base... They are entrances leading to the upper-most part of the base ie. the roof.
I was talking about the circled entrances here as I guessed that you were speaking of them.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #16
o_yoda891

Woah, I just typed up a big paragraph about some of the architecture only to go look at the picture I wanted and find that the RR had been changed. In the first picture in this thread you can see that the circle cut-out in the RR is gone, and I had assumed that you could go up that and end up on the roof. But I guess that was scraped, or that was never being done and the circle got in the way.

But anyway, Eat has done so much with the map and it's for the better. He probably expected complaints from small things like this, but what he has done with the map(too many things to list, go through all the pictures and think strategically and you'll see quite a few things that are possible now) is quite amazing.

hehe, I just noticed the nail grenade in the first pic!
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #17
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls
Crappy picture, but as you can see from there you can walk straight out of resup and be in line with the attic. In the FF_well version the attic is off center. One thing i did notice though is that huge hole that leads up onto the upper ledge (that takes you to balc). Could do some interesting moves with that i supoose...
I took "entrance to the RR" to somehow mean "entrance to the FR" because nothing else clicked in my head. My mistake.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
o_rizzo

I agree 100% with ballz, been thinking this since i saw the screenshot. But hey, anyone can still make FF_oldskoolwell or something like that
o_rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
o_afx

That or wait and see how the map actually plays before making judgements, dont forget this isnt tf:source, youve got whatever ff concs are like, trimping too....that plus the adjusted resups, will probably result in ff_well playing quite unlike its tfc counterpart.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
o_player

Trimping will make the RR in Well an enjoyable and different experience. Instead of rampsliding and catching the lip of the ramp to send you into the attic, a simple trimp will be needed. Oooo, the possibilities. Concing from the end of the T to the slope exiting the water for another trimp up to the FR platforms.

Time to wait