Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
o_dr zauis

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I suck at making buttons...plz help

Ok I cant figure buttons out for the life of me...i want to use the button model FF uses in Shutdown2, and i want it to drop the lift that the PREZ in hunted uses....but i cant figure it out for the life of me...what prop should i make it and how do i code the damn thing....I am so lost its not even funny...plz help me....plz, plz, plz....

Your Favorite,
dr Zauis
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
o_osiris

unless im totally behind on how things work, the button should still be made using a regular world brush (such as what you use to make a wall). Texture each side independently, and tie it to an entity (func_button). Should be pretty simple from there I do believe.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
One way that Jesse and I have been using in hunted is putting a prop_dynamic (or a prop_static or whatever...just to have a detailed model instead of basic brushwork), and then using a nodraw brush in that spot as the func_button. Then we set all the outputs of the button to open doors, move stuff, and/or even change the skin of the button prop.

So for instance, we have this prop_dynamic with some name, a nodraw brush as the func_button, and that func_button's outputs will open the door (or do whatever) and change the skin of the prop_dynamic from 0 to 1 and then back to 0 after the button resets.

Actually, we started making the door's outputs change the button prop's skin when the door is FullyOpen and FullyClosed, and even made the door lock the button while it's opening or closing and unlock it when it's done moving. That way when the door is moving, the button won't work and the skin will be changed to show something like "ACCESS" or something like that...depending on which model you use.

I dunno if any of that made sense, but it's just a matter of playing with the new entity I/O system in Source. I mean, you could use some kind of physics objects as buttons, really. Very flexible and fun stuff.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
o_soundman

ooooo, I smell a tutorial on buttons from jon and jesse
/me runs and hides
o_soundman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
o_nomak

So not to cram the forums wiht a new topic i just wanted to post it here

I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM!!!! I read the sticky by the ff dev team about flipping bases. My major problem has to do with this that i made the base and the mid field bunker. But how am i going to flip the base wiht out the bunker changing? Well umm here ill try to explain better. I have the base which wiill be flipped to also become the Blue team base but when i go to "SELECT ALL" it selects the mid field bunker also And i only want the base to be flipped and copied. How can i do this with out selecting the bunker?
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
o_nomak

please someone
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
o_rival13

Deselect the bunker
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2005, 03:44 AM   #8
o_vertical

if you select everything and hold CTRL + Click you can select/unselect one at a time without unselecting other items. If the bunker is square you could just cut it in half & flip the map and make the pieces meet back up, or you could remove the bunker, flip the rest of the map and remake it, any of those would work, though the last one I wouldn't suggest :P (There may be more ways as well, but im only just getting into mapping myself)
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2005, 04:41 AM   #9
o_osiris

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/v...r=asc&start=50

o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote