Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 05-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #101
o_frenchtoast

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'll revise the definitions. Metal is throaty nonsense, and emo is high pitched whine. There's far too many band of both genre.

Clearly we should settle on a funk. That's why my school kicks so much ass, there's about 3 people in the whole school that don't like Chili Peppers/Zep. It's the awesome.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #102
o_osiris

Wait wait wait... Your school doesn't have the rap loving "hip-hop" gangster ass mother fucking wanabee cuntsuckers? I envy you.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #103
omega
Retired FF Staff

haha, you kids need to get past the imagery and genrification that's associated with bands and actually, god forbid, listen to them for their actual musical content.
omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 03:39 AM   #104
o_tyrus

Placing a genre upon a band is nothing other than placing a description upon them. Each and everyone of us can describe the same object a thousand different ways, so likewise, each of us will be able to place our own genrefications upon bands. To each his own.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #105
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
Wait wait wait... Your school doesn't have the rap loving "hip-hop" gangster ass mother fucking wanabee cuntsuckers? I envy you.
Only the freshman but other grades it's rare.

There's also lots of people who are very open to music. My school kicks ass when it comes to music but the whole emo vs metal is getting gay. Yesterday I found something I though I'll never find in Cali. Someone said RHCP is annoying. I was seriously shock . It's common in Cali to like RHCP and The Smashing Pumpkins
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 03:58 AM   #106
o_osiris

I've never liked them either. I dont live in California, but yeah, not a band I like to listen to at all.

I hate rap, absolutely hate it. I'm not stereotyping (in my particular school/area atleast) that people who listen to rap seem to think they're all hot shit. They all borrow their parents car, they're all unemployed, and they all act like they have something to prove, they cant fight their own fights and have to call their "backup" before anything happens. I mean if it wasn't for having to grow up around this, maybe I could TOLERATE the music. It's when my friend (Note, 1 person) get's jumped by a group of almost 30 people because one of their little buddy's had a problem with my friend, they trashed his car, busted his guitars he had with him, and ran off after. This started what still to this day is like a war at my school. There's practically every single of the "g-units" in my school, and some of their graduated and older friends (and cousins they call for backup) starting shit with anyone who listens to metal like they have to prove that they're top shit in high school. I can get along with pretty much anyone in real life (maybe not here) but I've still had the fuckers smash out the windows in my truck because im friends with this guy, never had a problem with them personally. Now im ranting, sorry. It's just this whole culture of gangster wannabees in my area that's really ruining what respect I could have for their choices.

PS: The "metalheads" and punks in my school are some of the nicest people you could ever meet, and I dont think I could have better friends, even if I've taken some shit because of it.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 04:13 AM   #107
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Sounds bad, where u live at?

It's strange, at my schools there's no segregation at all. Everyone gets along with everyone else. You get to see a fight in my school like once a year. Everyone respects each other opinions about music. My school a fucking utopia. but yeah I can't say the same thing about the freshman.
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #108
omega
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrus
Each and everyone of us can describe the same object a thousand different ways, so likewise, each of us will be able to place our own genrefications upon bands.
uhhh... that's exactly what i'm saying. genres, particularly in music, shouldn't be taken to seriously, as everyone views music differently. it's a pity that we try to lump everything into groups since this just leads to people dismissing music that they might otherwise enjoy just because it falls under a specific "genre," a word that describes something so insurmountably broad.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #109
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
I hate rap, absolutely hate it.
A tip: Don't listen to modern rap, especially when nearly all of it is about women and money.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #110
o_frenchtoast

omegay, the thing is that there really isn't a band that falls into death metal/emo that's worth listening to. Call it stereotyping if you like, but it all sounds the same, and it all sounds bad.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #111
o_bubbles

Omigosh FrenchToast! What happened to your avatar? Only thing worth visiting this forum for is gone. :---[[[[
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #112
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
omegay, the thing is that there really isn't a band that falls into death metal/emo that's worth listening to. Call it stereotyping if you like, but it all sounds the same, and it all sounds bad.
What do you base that on? Personally i hate emo but i love some death metal. Saying that it all sounds the same and that it all sounds bad is a pretty stupid thing to say unless you have heard everything out there. What bothers me isnt that you dont like it, but you angle it in a way that makes it sound like thats the one and only truth and not just your opinion.

To me, Red Hot Chilli Peppers is some of the most booring music i can hear, but i dont go around proclaiming that its shit and that all the bands witihin that genre sounds the same. Why? Because i dont want to be a narrowminded twat looking to start stupid arguments.

If you were open minded about it im sure you could easely find some original and unique death metal bands.

Edit: And let me just add that i totally agree with omegay.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #113
o_yomamashouse

Check out the chorus for the death metal song i was writing.

GLAHHHHH BLAKKKKM GLUHURGGGGG GLEGLEGELGLGEG (begin foaming at mouth)
BLEEHEEGUUUUKLUURGGGINMOHUGIN KLAHEEERRRRGGG GEHHUUUURR
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #114
Decs
Retired FF Staff

There are death metal bands out there that doesnt base their music around throathy growling you know.

Some even mix jazz and death metal and their compositions (from a technical point of view) are far more advanced, and of higher technical quality than say most of the red hot chilli peppers or led zeppelin compositions.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #115
o_loader

Quote:
I also HATE emo, but I love nu metal and some death metal.. I don't like it because it makes me sound 'hard', or the fact that they scream and I worship satan, I like it because I like the music. I rarely listen to the words, just listen to the instruments.

Oh, and you are automatically an emo for saying "omegay"
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #116
o_yomamashouse

omegay is a guys account name.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #117
o_drtom

www.myspace.com/whiterosemovement
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #118
o_robg

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegay
haha, you kids need to get past the imagery and genrification that's associated with bands and actually, god forbid, listen to them for their actual musical content.
I'll wait til I find a band that can go 2 octaves past Middle C both ways
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #119
omega
Retired FF Staff

so basically i think most of these responses just prove my point ;/

Old 05-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #120
o_3vil9rin

5 bands I like, in an attempt to get this thread off the tired 'my music is good and yours sucks' argument:

Orbital, The Prodigy, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nirvana, Blur.

I like just about all music in some way. Although I struggle to appreciate screamy metal, the odd track will still appeal to me. The number of people who pander to their friends' music taste and are afraid of opening their mouth about liking something their friend does not scares me. Be honest with your ears. But then many people don't use their ears when selecting music.
o_3vil9rin is offline   Reply With Quote