Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
21 For R Rated Movies?

I don't know if anyone else experienced this recently, but a few friends of mine have gotten turned away from specifically 30 Days of Night. Even with 22 year olds with them, they were denied entry at the door, after purchasing their tickets. They were told by Regal that you have be 21 or older to see the movie. No exceptions, even if someone is with you.

The management confirmed as they all complained. I didn't know if this was a PA thing, or a Regal theater being a dick for no reason thing.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so no spoilers please

*Thanks.

Last edited by BinaryLife; 10-25-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
[FFM]-AC/DC

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'm from PA as well, but have not heard of this, although I've never been to that brand of theater. I've always gone to the Carmike cinemas around here.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
That's utter bullshit. If you can go to war at 18, you should be able to watch gory/graphic movies at 18. Isn't the title 30 Days of Night? See this is another reason why people pirate movies. First it was the cost factor, now the movie theaters are requiring you to be 21 years old? That's the most retarded thing I've heard since they originally made marijuana illegal.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Gigiya

i'm pretty sure that's not legal if they don't tell you that when you buy the tickets

Old 10-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

I would say contact Regal corporate and ask about that theater and it policies.
Customer relations number 1-877-835-5734
or
Main office number 1-865-922-1123

Oh BTW the moving ratings is not a law! http://www.filmratings.com/

Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
according the the MPAA, in order to view a movie with the rating R, you must be 17 years of age or older to view the movie, and if you are under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a person(s) of the age of 21 or older.

I went through this at my local cinema. I argued with the General Manager of the facility, about this, and after that, the next time i went in there a week later, there were signs posted all over the place about the law. it must have happened a lot because it was a major title being released to theaters that must of gained the attention of minors.

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp

Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Gigiya

i know it's not a law, but if they deviate from the defined standard of 17-years old to get into an R-rated movie, they need to specify that you have to be older to see it at their theater when they sell the tickets.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Nuk3m
Banned

well its not a LAW, but its within the constructs of the movies rating. using the Defined MPAA rating system officially dictates the rules of the film. since the cinema allows the usage of MPAA rated material in their cinema they must apply the rules. or the movie make can sue them for not allowing the general audience in to view their movie.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
R is 17. If they didn't let you in and you were 17 you should complain. You might get some free ticks?
Or just tell them that because they are ass holes you are going to go pirate movies from now on.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

They refunded the tickets that were purchased at the counter. But only because they asked for the manager to complain.

They weren't like this before. I saw The Assassination of Jesse James a week before. That's rate R and I got in fine... granted I look like I'm 40. But still. They didn't even card me.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

It's 30 Days of Night, not 40. The movie was alright. I liked the gore, but the story... well it could have been developed.

As for the tickets, well typically they allow 17+ year olds in on their own, but you need to be accompanied by an adult if you're under 17, which is the policy for most theaters. Some of the small ones around here don't really care--if you look old enough or if they know you, they'll let you in.

Either way, it's simply a matter of the theater's policy. So if they say you can't go in if you're under 21, that's their decision, smart or not.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Either way, it's simply a matter of the theater's policy. So if they say you can't go in if you're under 21, that's their decision, smart or not.
A theater can not make there own rating rules for the age they want to allow in to see the movie. They have to follow what the board rates it as.
I would complain to corporate even though you got your money back.
Unless the state passed a law setting R movies at 21+.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
well its not a LAW, but its within the constructs of the movies rating. using the Defined MPAA rating system officially dictates the rules of the film. since the cinema allows the usage of MPAA rated material in their cinema they must apply the rules. or the movie make can sue them for not allowing the general audience in to view their movie.
Any movie theater can reject any patron without refund for any reason. R rating does say any person 17 or older can see the movie. But if you are 17 and lack identification you will be turned away. A movie theater can even go as far to say if you are under 17 and do not have a parent or guardian buying your ticket you can't get in. I know this. I was a Projectionist for 3 years. This isn't a very uncommon thing to happen.

The R rating is 17 or older. The difference in R and NC-17 is that regardless of who is there with you or who bought the ticket you can't get into a a NC-17 movie. The R rating can be enforced as 17+, 18+, or 21+ its never been used for anything else. NC-17 movies rarely see main stream theater play so the R rating becomes a "standard" rating and can vary depending on the theater.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedbean
A theater can not make there own rating rules for the age they want to allow in to see the movie. They have to follow what the board rates it as.
No they don't.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

You guys shuld watch "This Film is Not Yet Rated."

There aren't really guidlines or standards for the MPAA and their rating systems. They just watch something and make up a rating for it. They also operate with extreme secrecy so that no one can know who they are.

...That said, as far as my understanding of the intended rating system it was that the rating demsonstrates and age guidlines that movie theaters follow. If they find a movie, or a rating to be too much they simply choose not to follow it. It was never law, to my knoweldge, and most movie theaters would allow anyone in so long as they have a parent with them.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
wait a sec... I thought this movie was rated r? If so, then a 17 year old should be able to get in without a parent. If the movie theater doesnt let you in, get your money back and go to the next theater to watch it.

meanwhile... NONE of the ratings indicate anything to do with the age of 21. so if this movie theater is trying to base anything on the rating system, they are out of line and are idiots. Personally I would have pushed it until they admitted that they were rejecting my 17 year old entrance due to personal managment preference and NOT as a result of the suggested rating system.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #17
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
If they wish to reject someone under a certain age for a specific movie, they can. Its their right as a business owner to deny you business due to lack of sufficient age as defined by the manager.

First infraction! Flaming!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
If I'm 18 right now do those people think there is something in that movie that will negatively affect me more than a 21 year old? I don't understand ratings like that, they make it seem like late teens are still innocent and unable to see blood and weapons sex in movies because there is some risk of mentally harming us.

Very silly.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 AM   #19
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
You'd think they could assume that the 6'2 Tall, 200+ lbs bearded guy walking in is over 17. Nope. [needs to get a photo ID]

Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #20
Nuk3m
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
If they wish to reject someone under a certain age for a specific movie, they can. Its their right as a business owner to deny you business due to lack of sufficient age as defined by the manager.
not true. they of course can turn any one away without identification if they deem it necessary. But when the company purchases the right to release a movie in their theater they are tied to contract. If a movie is Rated R, under contract they are obligated to allow the viewers within the guidelines of the MPAA's accepted national rating system. This is not debate, this is truth.

Example, the driving age is 17 in New jersey, but the local DMV says you have to be 19 to get your drivers license. If you don't believe me that is fine, but please understand distribution contracts before you rebuttal.

Closed Thread