Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Scout Caltrop

Please tell me or direct me to the post if this has already been said, but has anyone found the caltrops thrown as a grenade more beneficial than before? The Scout would release caltrops while running away with the flag, but can no longer do this because they must be thrown and there is a 4 second delay on detonation. Now a Scout can throw caltrops at mid-distance players, but I have yet to see how this is better for the Scout than being able to deter enemy pursuers.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
i find it more useful than in TFC. mainly because you can throw it at them right before the last beep and their right in the middle of them unike TFC where they see them and go around them.
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Don
D&A Member

I dont find it very beneficial, apart from the fact that you can aim the caltrop away from you. The time delay however presents a problem, as being a scout the distance you can travel in 4 beeps is immense, and so holding the caltrop grenade primed is pretty pointless.

It would be better if it exploded upon impact (you could still throw it of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
What mod? FF is a big lie, the beta sucks, it's actually just HL2DM with stolen models. All the screenshots are Photoshopped by a paid artist while we all set back and laugh at you fags for believing us.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Stankyfingers
Kalikop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stankyfingers
I never play scout but I got to agree with Gambit.Ive seen that tactic used(on me lol) and it works great.I always dodged them before in tfc.
Stankyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
It would be better if it exploded upon impact (you could still throw it of course).
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
be_

The idea of throwing them at a player sounds great, but I guess I have not yet seen it done, so cannot picure it as effective as covering your tracks.

I like the idea of exploding on impact. Might that be a "best of both worlds" type thing?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

Doesnt it blow up if you hold it down and come out of you anyway?

I like the new way myself, even though im never a scout in games, i have noticed that you can pile them in a narrow area and youll die if you walk onto them (as a scout anyway lol).
Major Lee High is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
DarK_TaO
Mapper ^^

Send a message via ICQ to DarK_TaO Send a message via MSN to DarK_TaO
My idea for the scout grenade (Caltrop), has already been told.

.-Prime, hold a maximum of 4 seconds.
.-Explode with impact.
.-Spread range is OK right now.
.-Throwing power should be a little stronger, since you are throwing a light grenade.

^^ but I doubt they do that.
DarK_TaO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
C-Aim
Better than Never

It has its benefits and disadvantages. On the one hand it is easier to actually get somebody to hit the caltrop because you can throw it right @ their feet and they can't dodge in time, on the other hand it sucks that it has a timer when you have 1 or more conc grenades left and you are fleeing the base w/ a flag. I'd rather be able to dump them all and then prime a conc.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
The original design had the caltrops sticking on players/hitting them before they had fallen to a rest on the ground. This would have made it a much more effective weapon and also required some rebalancing of the speed penalty of each caltrop etc. Still something I'd like to revisit..
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
be_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Lee High
Doesnt it blow up if you hold it down and come out of you anyway?

Yes, but that way has two disadvantages.

1. The time delay makes it harder for the Scout because he would now have to figure out at which point to prime a caltrop vs just pressing whenever he wants to release them.

2. He no longer has the ability to release multiple caltrop grenades consecutively. This was very useful when being chased from the bottom spiral to the top in 2fort.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
It has its benefits and disadvantages. On the one hand it is easier to actually get somebody to hit the caltrop because you can throw it right @ their feet and they can't dodge in time, on the other hand it sucks that it has a timer when you have 1 or more conc grenades left and you are fleeing the base w/ a flag. I'd rather be able to dump them all and then prime a conc.

I used to use caltrops all the time in TFC but have completely stopped even using them in FF because of that exact reason. I've even unbound +gren I don't use them at all.

I've never really saw them as a game breaking feature so I never really complained, I'm indifferent to them really.

But my strat (as already mentioned) is when I have the flag and someone's chasing me, I'll click my gernades 3 times and lay out the trap as I run. But now since the radius in which they explode seems smaller (the caltrops themselves even seem smaller), and the fact that I can't throw them all out then prime a conc removes any real benefits in the scouts "role" of flag runner.

When I'm goofing off and just want to create some havok I'll use them and throw them at people. But when I'm flag running, I don't even bother with them.

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #13
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
The original design had the caltrops sticking on players/hitting them before they had fallen to a rest on the ground. This would have made it a much more effective weapon and also required some rebalancing of the speed penalty of each caltrop etc. Still something I'd like to revisit..
take the original idea of a calt drop, and enhance it

electrodes that will slow you in place. kind of like a shocker. you throw the weapon and if you get hit, or walk into its radius your speed halves..

thoughts comments?
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
Don
D&A Member

Yeah nukem I could see that working. Kind of like a 'slow-zone' restricted to an area of charged flat ground. Perhaps it could spread like the pyro's incendiary, but instead leave hard-to-see electrical sparks that could be jumped over if you know what you are doing.

Dospac, I hope you develop those ideas you mentioned for the caltrop and consider implementing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
What mod? FF is a big lie, the beta sucks, it's actually just HL2DM with stolen models. All the screenshots are Photoshopped by a paid artist while we all set back and laugh at you fags for believing us.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Maybe I'm the only one who's done it, but after capping the flag I usually find myself caltropping the front door of my teams base to hamper offensive attacks. Being able to toss them not only allows me to do passing tosses but allows me to be a distance from the door and lay them where I want them.

The caltrop grenade is awesome.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Maybe I'm the only one who's done it, but after capping the flag I usually find myself caltropping the front door of my teams base to hamper offensive attacks. Being able to toss them not only allows me to do passing tosses but allows me to be a distance from the door and lay them where I want them.

The caltrop grenade is awesome.
i dont think the tacks stay on the ground long enough, idk tho at the same time.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
i dont think the tacks stay on the ground long enough, idk tho at the same time.
They stay on the ground long enough for any offensive player to enter the front door to step on them. No one expects them.

Much like the Spanish Inquisition.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

I say we stop hiding what we are talking about as we quake in fear of PETA. Its Cat Drop people, please stop lying to yourself and everyone around you. The scout needs to start droping cats. Really angry ones that claw the hell out of people. d:

(I like the explode on concat idea BTW)

[edit]
I swear "concat" wasn't deliberate. Should be contact, guess I have cat on the brain.
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
They stay on the ground long enough for any offensive player to enter the front door to step on them. No one expects them.

Much like the Spanish Inquisition.
LOL. I didn't expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #20
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
i gotta agree. its harder to ACTUALLY slow down someone.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote