Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 07-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
o_azlan

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
mortality update: first screenshots

While the map is far from finished details-wise, I've completed all of the basic brushwork of the original map. I've begun creating new concepts (mostly athestics, only slight changes in map design) for the map, which I will reveal once I am happy with the updates.

For now, consider that the lighting isn't close to being finished, as I haven't figured out what route to go with it yet. The hanging lights in the main ramp room are replacements for the old textured lights that wildfire used in the original. From what it looks like, he wanted to use hanging lights, but because of the original game engine, he couldn't. I'm open to suggestion about the lighting and would like to hear some ideas on something other than a spot_light for hanging lights. Will just a light ent work enough? Can you use one with a hanging prop?

I've purposely decided not to show the parts of the map that I am not happy with yet. I just wanted to give those who might be interested a few screenshots to feast upon. I've been working on the map for little under a month now and I anticipate finishing it within the next month.

Here are Dev Textured Screenshots by request:

o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
o_valk

i dont wanna be harsh but that looks terrible
at the moment, default mortality_l in TFC is looking better
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
o_fresh

i like the way its made, i think, however the texturing obv needs some work, good going all the same.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
o_qui

It looks very blocky
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
o_osiris

just give the entire map the default greybox texture and post some new screenshots. The multiple different textures on the same walls and whatnot is just ruining the effect. Atleast with greybox it can be easily seen that the map is still in production.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
o_jerm

yeah, when searching for textures, type in dev.

that goes to the developers textures. Get the grey one, use that for floors, and use the orange one for walls

;D
o_jerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
o_yohan1973

TEXTURES TEXTURES TEXURES!!!!
It's a really good start there buddy but like many others your issues come down to texures. Once you find the right textures you'll then be able to get down into the nitty-gritty detailing and really make that map POP OUT!
o_yohan1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
o_azlan

Like I said, they are simply placeholders until I find the right ones.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
o_epothon

Meh, dont like it ..

TFC remakes have to be stunningly good (visualy as gameplay wise), this is just a copy paste kind of thing.. not enough detail/atmosphere

HL2 is mapmakers heaven, use the tools you have tbh and blow our minds
o_epothon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
o_shaggy

LOL obviously reading isn't one of your strong suits. HE SAID HE HASN'T STARTED THE TEXTURING PROCESS. Pretty much all he is showing is how the map is going to flow. From what i can tell, the only differences affecting gameplay is the batts. Am I mistaken or does it seem much closer to the ground and a larger opening. Looks like anyone can rj up there now.

I've talked to ol Azlan, and he has plans on making the two towers useful. God I hope so. It seemed like a waste of space just having those damn two towers hanging out in the yard.

Anyways gl with that az. I can't wait to see some texture in-place. And of course i'm always interested in fr area. Oh here's a suggestion just for giggles. For the shoop, add special affects for it. For instance, when you are being tossed have a strong gust of wind sound. Also blur the screen of the one using the shoop while he's being tossed. Just to add special effect.

Just a thought.
o_shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #11
o_azlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epothon
Meh, dont like it ..

TFC remakes have to be stunningly good (visualy as gameplay wise), this is just a copy paste kind of thing.. not enough detail/atmosphere

HL2 is mapmakers heaven, use the tools you have tbh and blow our minds
I agree with you completely Epothon. It was a copy/paste thing to begin with, but just because I wanted to get all the heights and dimensions of the original map as accurate as possible. From here, I can alter and change everything for the update. Although, it is interesting, that now that I've shown you that it is a direct update right now, that anyone would complain. Before when I asked for suggestions, just about everyone didn't want me to do anything different to the map at all.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #12
o_epothon

Ofcourse nobody wants any layout changes, otherwise it wouldnt be a port..

But we want eyecandy, i mean, look at what the team has done to the old maps, they look stunning

I dont expect the same (hell i cant even get it to look that gorgeous) but i sure hope you will give it your best shot and i wish you the best of luck and lots of inspiration

Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 PM   #13
o_the phenom

TFC half newbie here so I haven't played much mortality.

But to me it looks good so far (the worldbrushing....can't wait to see some textures!).
You could get away with a little more detail, remember the HL2 engine can run detailed maps with ease.

Well done so far.
o_the phenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
o_groovyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlan
Although, it is interesting, that now that I've shown you that it is a direct update right now, that anyone would complain. Before when I asked for suggestions, just about everyone didn't want me to do anything different to the map at all.
Damned if you do.. Damned if you don't :/

Give him a break, he was just showing us work in progress, not finished material.
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #15
o_epothon

better to get critisism (be it positive or negative) now then when he thinks he's done..

if he can make it look awesome, we will all be very grateful, now we are all just worried he will fuck up a great map thats the way things go when you port a map

Old 07-14-2005, 12:20 AM   #16
o_jared-tm-

Any critisism is better than none. So far, so good, Azlan. There's plenty of time to add details.

Keep us updated :]
o_jared-tm- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2005, 02:43 AM   #17
o_azlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlan
Although, it is interesting, that now that I've shown you that it is a direct update right now, that anyone would complain. Before when I asked for suggestions, just about everyone didn't want me to do anything different to the map at all.
Damned if you do.. Damned if you don't :/

Give him a break, he was just showing us work in progress, not finished material.
Not to worry, I don't take it to heart too much. Thanks for the sentiment, though!

So long as the criticism I get has some sorts of ideas to go along with it, I'm more than happy to hear it. You may be happy to know that I plan to start rounding up rough edges tonight, as well as adding the changes that I think will excite everyone when I show them off. If you see this thread updated, click on it and chances are there might be some new shots. We'll see how much progress I can get done tonight. Ciao for now and thanks for the input!

Old 07-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #18
o_frenchtoast

This is the kind of thing I'm worried about with Turkeyburgers. I want to make a good detailed map, but that's hard to do since everything is blown up, it's bound to be quite chunky and I'm worried about a harsh backlash. I'll have to get creative with this one...

But I like the way it's turning out. Once you finish the basic structure and tidy everything up, I'm sure it'll be great.

Keepup the good work mate
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #19
o_prankster

Really hard to judge how mort will play in FF but lets just guess that clans will use 5 def again. Problem i have with that is that you end up with all your defence in quite a tight area, which isnt such a bad thing but i feel TFC maps are always nicer when there is a bigger/ more complex layout. Which leads to needed better communcation between the teammates.

I dont have any bright ideas right now how to change the map but moving the main hallway round a bit could give it a bit more depth. Never been a great fan of that area so maybe iam a bit bias :P
o_prankster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 AM   #20
o_valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prankster
Really hard to judge how mort will play in FF but lets just guess that clans will use 5 def again.
its played with 4 defense in australia and new zealand
sol top
sol rr
hw fr
ng fr
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote