Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Tsukasa

Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: mimic-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Super-early map screenshots... thoughts?

Screenshot of my map:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23507018@N06/2243298703/

Here's the source image that I am using for reference:

http://flickr.com/photos/staylor336/1032837271/

Also, I plan to work this room in:

http://flickr.com/photos/staylor336/367227148/

As you can see in the screenshot, most of the basic blobs aren't even done yet... but...

My question to the FF community is how should I design the gameplay for this map? Should I clone the train building across the tracks and work it that way? Perhaps the huge open nature of this map is better suited for an AvD? Please, suggest away, I need some commentary in order to form an image of the completed map in my mind.
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
looks interresting. Well get started on it give us some real in-game screen shots.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Tsukasa

After looking at the map further an idea came to me: how about the gameplay is done AvD style with the train connecting each area?

The above screenshot is all one cap point; blue team rides the train into town, giving red a minute or so to prepare, at which point blue spawns in the train. Once blue capped the point, they all get on the train again and head into the next city, which may or may not look similar to the first cap point.

Also, to add some depth, at first blue starts with low amounts of ammo, and as they progress the amount of available ammo increases (as they have pillaged munitions from previous citys).

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Sounds great...we need more AvD maps!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
Tsukasa

http://flickr.com/photos/23507018@N06/2247543324/

Updated picture.

Can someone assist me making this map? Namely, the train... my brain isn't wired spacially or however for me to be good at making that kind of thing. It doesn't have to be a model, rather, I would actually prefer it to be made with a bunch of primitives so that I can rig it up to move correctly.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
The objective of the map should be to derail the train while it comes into the station.

Come on man, wouldn't be great? Demoman on the tracks, down to the wire... he's trying to get that detpack on a track... train's horn goes off... and then the only thing left is an empty grenade launcher and a boot. With a foot still in it.

But yeah, try for something like that.

If you want to be a bastard, you could call it ff_mantrain. That would be a great joke. "Oh guys, I love Man Train!"

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Tsukasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
The objective of the map should be to derail the train while it comes into the station.

Come on man, wouldn't be great? Demoman on the tracks, down to the wire... he's trying to get that detpack on a track... train's horn goes off... and then the only thing left is an empty grenade launcher and a boot. With a foot still in it.

But yeah, try for something like that.

If you want to be a bastard, you could call it ff_mantrain. That would be a great joke. "Oh guys, I love Man Train!"
=P.

Aaaanyone want to join me on this map? I'm thinking about naming it ff_raider.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
<-- can't map.

Which game was it that had a multiplayer map which took place entirely on a moving train? One end would be team 1's base, the other team 2's. Awesome concept.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
-=Roland=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF-
<-- can't map.

Which game was it that had a multiplayer map which took place entirely on a moving train? One end would be team 1's base, the other team 2's. Awesome concept.
Unreal Tournament
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
If this is your first map project don't try anything weird like a map where the players ride trains around. You'll get stuck in the details and never finish it. Besides, the trains in Source are laggy. The most I would attempt do with the trains (and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about this stuff) is have one run through once in a while, maybe with a chance to squish some players.

You're off to a good start on this one area. You don't want to put much work into building anything until you have a good idea of how the map is going to be laid out and how stuff connects together. Because chances are you are going to come to a point where you have to delete stuff, and you want that to be as pain-free as possible.

And as far as joining you on the map, I'll have to pass because:
1. I've tried collaborating before and I don't like it
2. my PC is not in great shape atm
3. I've many priorities before mapping right now

But anytime you have a question I'll try to answer it, or give advice.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
Tsukasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
If this is your first map project don't try anything weird like a map where the players ride trains around. You'll get stuck in the details and never finish it. Besides, the trains in Source are laggy. The most I would attempt do with the trains (and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about this stuff) is have one run through once in a while, maybe with a chance to squish some players.

You're off to a good start on this one area. You don't want to put much work into building anything until you have a good idea of how the map is going to be laid out and how stuff connects together. Because chances are you are going to come to a point where you have to delete stuff, and you want that to be as pain-free as possible.

And as far as joining you on the map, I'll have to pass because:
1. I've tried collaborating before and I don't like it
2. my PC is not in great shape atm
3. I've many priorities before mapping right now

But anytime you have a question I'll try to answer it, or give advice.
Second mapping project, and I have a pretty good idea what this involves. Currently I am at a rather discouraging point where stuff that doesn't exist in the editor is appearing in game (walls thats don't exist which you can pass through and have a thickness of almost zero, textures which are applied as one thing in the editor but display as something completely different in game.. and yes i know that can happen with overlapping primitives this is not that problem).

I'll make a more in-depth post about that in a few days when I have time.

Edit: Speaking of trains, what are the odds I can decompile the first hl2 map and grab the train it uses? The one you're on when you start the game.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #12
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
You don't have to decompile it; That vmf is included in the SDK. Go ahead and open it. Brace yourself, though. The single-player maps are really complex, entity-wise(as I recall the train part wasn't so bad).

If you're prepared to do something like this, go for it, but I'd have a backup plan in case the train doesn't work out.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Doughnut-4|4-

Crossfire TFC

There was a map called Crossfire for TFC which reminds me of this sorta. There were two basic areas... a large open yard with some sniper perches around it... and a more cluttered building area with multiple levels and interior. It also had a nuke button where everyone outside a bunker would die and this made it cool.

Anyways I'd recommend making the train yard fairly open with some train cars here and there to provide a little cover. Then inside I'd recommend at least 2 levels for killing. And maybe add an airstrike feature to give it some life if you wanted a Deathmatch map.

And by the way that Unreal map was very cool, but one reason it ran so smoothly was cause of the animated skyboxes which made you feel like you were moving. The Hyperspace map for Unreal2k3 was always cool for this reason. Unfortunately HL2 can't do that sort of thing.
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
I've seen a TFC escape map that had that "moving" feel... Militia? Or Area49? Don't remember, you played as Civilian and one of the parts involved shoting down a battle copter while standing on jeeps. The floor/walls were in movement and it really looked that the jeeps where chasing the copter. Can't this be done in HL2? (Weird, because I saw it in HL1 engine =S)
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #15
punkrockrocks
When patch will out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
I've seen a TFC escape map that had that "moving" feel... Militia? Or Area49? Don't remember, you played as Civilian and one of the parts involved shoting down a battle copter while standing on jeeps. The floor/walls were in movement and it really looked that the jeeps where chasing the copter. Can't this be done in HL2? (Weird, because I saw it in HL1 engine =S)
that was one of the area49's. pretty damn fun series, except for the parts that I hated.
punkrockrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #16
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Crossfire is actually a HL: DM map
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockrocks
that was one of the area49's. pretty damn fun series, except for the parts that I hated.
Yeah, u had to jump thru jeeps to get a chopper killed on that part, it was awsome.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
Yeah, Area49 was hell of a lot of fun!
Maybe someone should port them!
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote