Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 02-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I love taking over the IT department from stupid people

As the title suggests, I recently have taken over IT for a global company .. their last IT people were morons.

LETS INSTALL THE EXCHANGE IS ON THE LOCAL SYSTEM 146GB DRIVE .. AND NO THE ENTIRE USA IS NOT GOING TO BE USING THIS EXCHANGE SERVER *sarcasim*

GG 40TB SAN setup
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Maybe now you'll pick up your damn phone you whore.

Ihmhi gets lonely at night. <3

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Vasa

Class/Position: O:scout D:sol
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
LOL. :P

I love giving support to people like that(work in support department of software vendor). Even more fun when something like that happens at reseller level, all kind of wonderful threats are made there.
Vasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Do you really need more then 1KB for e-mail?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
My email file is just over 100MB so far, my bosses is over a gig. When you work in support, emails are a big part of your every day work. Archiving your emails to at least a year back is useful for those issues that happen once a year.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Icculus
D&A Member

Mailbox limits FTW! We have a company wide 50mb limit on mailboxes. Anything over that needs to go into a personal folder.

Personal folders are stored on a personal network share and are backed up nightly so emails can potentially be stored indefinitely. The only issue is when the personal folders get over 500MB, they tend to get a little unstable. We have some users who think they need to keep EVERYTHING (sent items included).

-Icculus
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

When the company you work IT for makes the prototypes for Honda and Sony and all that other big shit .. you don't put a fucking limit on the mailboxes .. you buy more storage and the equivalent storage to back it all up .. ALL of it.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
We just have a 10mb per email limit, which hardly ever gets up to that amount. Mostly it's either text or screenshots.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
That's ridiculous, forced archives onto a network shares, clearcase or documentum for document management, vault/sourcesafe for sourcecontrol FTW. IT needs to drive information document policy, not allow people to use their "inbox" to store important information. Bogging down exchange with years of large documents and as an information organization tool (which is what business will try to do themselves) is a recipe for corporate nightmares.

Scuzzy

Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow00Caster View Post
As the title suggests, I recently have taken over IT for a global company .. their last IT people were morons.

LETS INSTALL THE EXCHANGE IS ON THE LOCAL SYSTEM 146GB DRIVE .. AND NO THE ENTIRE USA IS NOT GOING TO BE USING THIS EXCHANGE SERVER
Yea, I see your point, they should be using Postfix or sendmail instead of exchange server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
Mailbox limits FTW! We have a company wide 50mb limit on mailboxes. Anything over that needs to go into a personal folder.
When your dealing with engineers and blueprints, one file might be 10 megs.

Then add to that quality control, designers, - 50 megs could be filled up REAL quick.

That engineer is trying to design something - he does not need to worry about his email limits. Mailbox limits would probably get you into trouble real quick.

Here at the office, I have a few limits of 30 megs, and the ladies fill that up with just word documents.

Last edited by ~kev~; 03-03-2009 at 01:34 PM.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Vasa

Class/Position: O:scout D:sol
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Limits on mailboxes just aren't practical in every situation, like some others here it seems, I work in a IT support function, and I have several shared mailboxes as well, each one well over 2 gigs(you can imagine my joy every morning when I fire up Outlook).

The 'knowledge' part is stored and maintained elsewhere, but to keep tabs of the history of a client, we have to keep those mailboxes.
Though half a year ago, we've switched to a CRM solution that intercepts the mails to keep that history since that's quite convenient to keep that history attached to the customer for sales to see as well since going through your humongous mailbox when some sales rep ask for info on one of his key clients isn't that convenient either.
Vasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Storage limit is not a practical approach to a rapid prototyping company, unlimited storage is.

The CAD guys shove 10gig files for one fucking Honda project on the SAN a day, and keep doing it for everything. Then for that CAD file there are 14 other CAD files for each part, then machining files for each part... Archiving is more important that storage limits here.

I just added 4 more SANs at 14TB each clustered for redundancy at raid 5 with 2 hot spares per san and a total of 22TB actual storage space. I will probably be doing this again in a few months. These guys eat up storage space like cookie monster on crack.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #13
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
When your dealing with engineers and blueprints, one file might be 10 megs.

Then add to that quality control, designers, - 50 megs could be filled up REAL quick.

That engineer is trying to design something - he does not need to worry about his email limits. Mailbox limits would probably get you into trouble real quick.

Here at the office, I have a few limits of 30 megs, and the ladies fill that up with just word documents.
Which is why you have Personal Folders that have no limit. you can drag your email into them or even setup a rule that moves them to a personal folder if the attachment is over a certain size.

Regardless, it doesn't matter either way. This rule was setup at my company about 10 years ago when storage wasn't so cheap. Now a days you can get a TB of storage for less than $100.00.
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
maybe you need to introduce your staff to [D]CVS? emailing 10gig files around is just fucking stupid.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I'm glad that IT has little or no say over how our division handles and controls active file storage and archiving. They're fine for desktop users...but not development.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
maybe you need to introduce your staff to [D]CVS? emailing 10gig files around is just fucking stupid.
are u kidding me... exchange has a 15mb attachment limit .. they use a much less secure method .. EHF TEE PEE !!!! WEEEEEE

I've recommended to the president of the mother fucking company on many occasions how this is insecure, of course he knows more about this than me, as with most presidents...

It's funny because there are a couple of clients who refuse to use the FTP due to security issues with it .. some upload encrypted shit which I am then forced to drag through a decryption process .. I resolved that issue by telling people I won't do that shit anymore, and they have to fly to wherever the client is and get the data on media and bring it back.