Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
sir_frags

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
DELETE

EDIT:

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS ON MY IGNORE LIST . . . ONE OF THE MOST USEFUL FEATURES OF THIS FORUM. THEY ARE NOT MAPPERS. THEY SPENT ALMOST NO TIME ON MY MAP. THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF DEATHMATCH. THEY DONT EVEN PLAY DEATHMATCH. THEY ONLY LOOK AT SCREENSHOTS AND DONT ACTUALLY PLAY THE MAP (SOME LIE ABOUT EVEN LOOKING AT THE MAP). THEIR ADVICE IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL WASTE OF TIME (STUPID COMMENTS LIKE "GO BACK AND POLISH IT UP" OR "CHANGE STUFF THAT ISN'T WORKING WELL" WHATEVER THAT MEANS!).

I'VE HAD ENOUGH INFANTILE RESPONSES FROM THESE LITTLE KIDS TO LAST ME A LIFE TIME. I REALLY DONT KNOW WHY ANY MAPPER WASTES HIS TIME POSTING ABOUT HIS MAPS IN THIS FORUM. YOU'D BE BETTER SERVED GOING OVER TO INTERLOPERS.NET.

THE MAP WAS NOT EVEN POSTED HERE AND NO DLOAD LINK WAS PROVIDED FOR IT. I MERELY STATED THAT I HAD THE FIRST RATS MAP UP RUNNING ON MY SERVER. I ASKED TWO FORUM ADMINS TO LOCK THE THREAD WHEN THE INFANTS STARTED GETTING UGLY, BUT NEITHER ADMIN WOULD DO SO . . . IN SPITE OF THEIR "NO FLAME" POLICY.

*Frags*

Last edited by sir_frags; 10-01-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I really wish you would have posted a dl link for the map. While I would not mind connecting to a server to download it, I would have to wait for it to come into rotation. ):

Oh well, I guess I am going to play a few rounds. I shall post my comments after I have a look around.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
sir_frags

delete

Last edited by sir_frags; 10-01-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Eh, I had a look over it... The map seems really rushed to me. It looks like something that was ported over from TFC rather than made fresh for FF.

I think one of the best things about rats maps were all of the ladders and catwalks in the background, and in this map they are replaced with ratholes that teleport you to another location. Not nearly as fun to me, honestly - that was the charm of the rats maps.

It is also decidedly lacking in traps or anything of the like. I loved flushing people down toilets or trapping them in a sink. ):

Old 09-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
sir_frags

delete

Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_frags
How long were you on the map? About 10 seconds? You didnt even notice the ladders LOL! And you were by yourself right? So no gameplay experience on it either, right?

*Frags*
Actually I was on the map for 15 minutes LOL!

I didn't notice you can climb up the couch because I don't go around trying to hump the walls! I never really played dustbowl much and picked up that whole "hump the wall thing" LOLOLOLOL!

Teleporters aside, it takes a lot of the fun of going through the woodwork and ambushing your enemy LOL! Now you can just appear behind someone relatively silently, which is not really as much fun in my book LOL!

And I would have gameplay experience on it if there was someone else besides me on your server when I downloaded it LOL!

LOL!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

OMG LOL!

I'm gonna try out the map later, gotta take a break first.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Grats on the first rats map. But that is all I can give you on it. From what I have played and spec around the map. It needs A lot of work.
Might want to go play a few of the old maps to get some ideas.

You missed the fun factor of the maps and the look.

I suggest you spend a month on it instead of a few days. Then it might be up there with all the rats maps and turkeyburgers.

Goodluck

Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
sir_frags

delete

Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Dude, the map looks unpolished, but that's only from the screens, so i don't have much of an opinion currently.

You are an obnoxious asshole and need to fix your attitude.

Edit: I think I scared him away >.>

Last edited by Desyphur; 09-30-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
And, Ihmhi, my server log says you were on there less than 4 minutes. . .
Exactly right, I sat through two DM maps waiting to get to breakroom-rats. Waited for four minutes, looked around, and no one showed up. I created my own server to put on noclip and fly around and look.

Quote:
You can go here and look at the screens, but if you don't dload it or at least take a little time to log in to play it, please keep your comments to yourself
I did take some time (4 on your server +15 on my listen server) to look at your map, so I did everything you have asked of me.

Let me elaborate on my previous posts with detail.

These "ladders" you speak of on the couch and such - they are a nice idea. They just have one problem - there is no indication that they are there. Do you expect players to go around humping walls looking for the ladders? Get some texture difference, "claw marks" (from the rats), etc. to indicate these things.

I really believe the rat hole portals take out one of the most fun aspects of rats maps, and those are the walkways, ladders, etc. in the woodwork. That is always one of the best parts of the rats maps.

You said that the "fall damage" is enough of a trap - every rats map has this. What yours does not have are (as I previously mentioned) interesting and fun traps like the toilet, the boat with the machine gun, etc.

There is a lot of potential here - make the billiard balls physics props, and drop them on someone from below! Stuff like that.

This map took a lot of work I'm sure, but you really need to take advantage of the Source engine here. This map would have been fine in TFC, but it is not up to par with FF.

Some things you can do to improve:

1) Please, please, please put in walkways, ladders, etc. behind the walls and replace the rat holes.

2) Work on the pool table so you can go through the holes and come out the bottom. I tried this but I could not get it to work - I did not spend too much time screwing around on the pool table, so if this is already in, my apologies.

3) The Breen scrambled television dealy can get real old real fast with the annoying music in the background - and if it is supposed to be a plasma TV or something, why is it vertically aligned?

4) The computer on the desk - would be cool if there was an animated GIF or something of Fortress Forever being played. Or maybe TFC, on the rats map.

That is about all I can think of at the moment. The small details count. People are going to notice things like no keys (or wire) on the keyboard, the vertical television, etc.

Lastly, you say that you do not want the opinions of anyone but other mappers in here. When you post your map on forums, you are opening yourself to criticism (both constructive and unconstructive). Now you want to bail out, have the thread locked, and ignore the people who are posting what they think of your map.

Every good mapper takes in account the thoughts of the community. Some of them are very valid and should be considered. If you just want to shut down the discussion and leave your map in a poorly presentable state (as said by nearly everyone who has posted here but you), that makes you a very poor mapper indeed in my book.

Oh wait, I'm not a mapper, so my opinion doesn't matter. NVM. d:

Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #12
totoro^vi

Quote:
You are an obnoxious asshole and need to fix your attitude.
That really sums it up. I am, and have been, a mapper and your map lacks polish, terribly so, in fact. The textures, especially, exemplify the rushed look as they either don't make sense (tile couches?) or are poorly chosen and incosistent (different floor and wall textures).

Looks aside all reports seem to indicate that the map is a rather poor rebirth of the old maps as well. In short, neither you or your map have any redeeming qualities.

I guess it's a good thing you don't want feedback and didn't post a download link, it will save ppl the trouble of playing a bad map and subsequently the pain of hating it and wasting a few minutes of their lives.

Oh, and before I forget, LOL!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #13
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

^ That guy is awesome

Also, when I play the map, it feels as though I'm playing TFC. Same goes for the other two on your server.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #14
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
None of you are mappers...so your opinions hold little value to me. And it took me almost 4 weeks to finish it, which was finished just this morning. But you missing the ladders shows just how worthless your opinions are, so please keep them to yourself. And, Ihmhi, my server log says you were on there less than 4 minutes. . . not 15 but if you ran around for 15 minutes and didnt even fine one ladder LOL LOL ROFL omg rofl...
We are the one that can make your map better. Good grief, all the mappers at one time look at an older maps to learn from it and get ideas.

If Im putting this on my server, It should look polished. This is your reputation and the servers. You should want to put your best foot forward for yourself and FF.

Quote:
Bakedbean, I dont need congrats from a little kidde clan wannabe like you either. I dont need to study old maps to get ideas either. That's called "originality"; google it when you grow up. Can you even spell "mapper"?
Not one bit of my post indicated I was in a clan.

Been in one clan in the late 90's called 30plus and later on with House Of Painful Enlightenment, so I'm sure you can figure out my basic age.

As Desyphur stated you need to fix the attitude, we are all here to help.
If you can't take the criticism your not cut out to be a mapper.

Heck most of the mapper here would be gone if they could not handle criticism of some kind, its what makes them better.

I may come off harsh, but I would rather tell you like it is then suger coat it and put a bow on top.

I would run the map on my server IF it was cleaned up and polished.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
sir_frags

delete

Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Practice what you preach, ok? I surely havent used profanity. But you infants are helping me get the thread locked, so keep it up You other 3 are on my ignore list, so I see you posted, but I sure dont see your replies . . . although I am sure they are scholarly remarks LOL.

Why should I make my map the way you clowns want it, eh? You arent mappers. And why should all the maps looks the same? And if you want a map to look like Turkeyburgers or some other tfc map, then go play tfc, doh!

I just emailed two admins to ask them to lock this thread.
WOW is this guy for real.? How would you know if we are not mappers?

We don't need maps to be exact matches. But use the parts that worked from the originals and add onto it to make it your own.

It could be a great map if you put some time into it. I could go and decompile it with vmex, or other ways if it may be protected. but I don't have the time.

Thats why we look to those who do have time to make the quaility maps for our servers.

Just a side note it seems sir_frags has issue on other forums

Last edited by Bakedbean; 09-30-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I just played on it for a bit...well, running around alone, no others joined. But, here are my comments on the map:

Not too bad. A little work, a little polish, and I think a lot of people would enjoy playing it. The rats maps were always popular because they were fun. On one server I played regularly, rats3 was in the regular rotation.
The pool table needs a complete overhaul. I agree with Ihmhi, you should be able to drop into the pockets and run around...and somewhere be able to "fall out" of the bottom. Some of the textures are odd, as the couches look like they are made of wood. I too would like to see some "behind the walls" access. The teleporters are usefull in some spots, so I'd say keep most of them.

Overall, not a bad job on it. I like the layout, but a few changes will(in my opinion) make this a potentially popular map.

Oh, and please put a link to it here.... some of us actually enjoy playing new maps, no matter the gameplay style. It never hurts to have another one to play around on.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 09-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I'm a mapper and I agree with all the posts here: the map is not well made.

Here's my map: FF_Pitfall. Criticize away.

But I'm probably ignored for trying to help you in another thread.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Practice what you preach, ok? I surely havent used profanity. But you infants are helping me get the thread locked, so keep it up You other 3 are on my ignore list, so I see you posted, but I sure dont see your replies . . . although I am sure they are scholarly remarks LOL.

Why should I make my map the way you clowns want it, eh? You arent mappers. And why should all the maps looks the same? And if you want a map to look like Turkeyburgers or some other tfc map, then go play tfc, doh!

I just emailed two admins to ask them to lock this thread.

Totoro is a mapper, he made better looking maps than your rats map on HL1, I do not need to look at your map, judging by your attitude, its going to be shit! Yes, I just made the comparison between your mapping skills and your attitude, thats what you get for saying LOL DDD to many times. What does being a mapper have to do with anything? Is some of the things they suggest to you too hard? Most of it is common knowledge. You should also not post Ideas anymore, seein' as your not a programmer LOL DDD.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Did he ACTUALLY say I didn't play the map? I'm -[CfH]-insomniac.pp in the game, someone tell him that. Cause I was on there for a rotation, playing around. Everyone on the server agreed it sucked.

Closed Thread