Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server/Player Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Extracted Post: My Banned Account on [o-t]

Note: This post was moved out of another thread.

--------------------------------
Alright. Scuzzy, I understand how your plan is to keep your community enjoyable without the worry of troublemakers, but it's messed up that you look like you have no sympathy for those who've understand that they've made a mistake and would like a second chance. Hell, even I would like a second chance. Back in January I decided I was done FF for the day. Instead of simply leaving, I took another path and typed the n-word, not realizing that it does more than kicking you. And now I'm perma'd. [My steam ID is STEAM_0:1:11716758 if you want to check the logs.]

I didn't direct it to anybody, and now I'm disappointed that I can only sit in the stands if the O-t server is the only server with players. It really upsets me every time when I get on Fortress Forever and find only O-t active. I have to turn right back around to find something else to occupy my time that I'm not in the mood for. I'm friendly in-game. You can ask people who know me. Even though I'm speaking their voice, I'm confident that I'm not one of those jackasses.

Sure, I'm only one player, but with almost 250 bans...you got to realize the TF2 community is many, many times bigger, and the bans are barely twice as much as FF's. Some do deserve to be perma'd, but realize that the others need a second chance.

You may have 20-30 new players every day, but what's important is: how many are going to stick around long enough, to give the FF community a chance to expand? Maybe 15% of the new players stick around for months, 5% stay for years for all we know. Not only that, but you're also going to have the ones that leave after time has gone by. It's no wonder that after 11 months of Fortress Forever's release, it doesn't look like the popularity in-game has increased.

God, I lead off to another topic. That above paragraph is pretty much talking about Fortress Forever's popularity. It doesn't involve much about O-t's consequences, but your actions will impact over time. You're going to have those who quit because the O-t server is usually the only server occupied when they get on, even if those are the people who need a second chance.

You must look at a group solid. I don't know if that made sense. Like... you look at a group as how it's labeled. A group of perma'd players looks like a group entirely made up of people who are guilty and shouldn't have a second chance. There's always something else in something. No matter what, a group of mean people always has at least one truly nice person. See what I'm saying?

Yeah, my ban was my fault. But when you're banning players, it doesn't take much to realize that at most of them came to your sever for gaming and having fun, not trouble-making. There are people out there who are sorry and want a second chance but feel hopeless. Even I feel hopeless.

I'm not saying that you should give every banned player more than two chances. Just one. Hell, ban them after that second if they screw up again. I'm saying you'll have a better community with players who've learned their lesson and are dedicating their time with it. It's not like you have a problem permabanning them a second time if they mess up again, do you?

Last edited by Scuzzy; 08-07-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Moved Post, added note saying as such.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLeB-
Alright. Scuzzy, I understand how your plan is to keep your community enjoyable without the worry of troublemakers, but it's messed up that you look like you have no sympathy for those who've understand that they've made a mistake and would like a second chance. Hell, even I would like a second chance. Back in January I decided I was done FF for the day. Instead of simply leaving, I took another path and typed the n-word, not realizing that it does more than kicking you. And now I'm perma'd. [My steam ID is STEAM_0:1:11716758 if you want to check the logs.]

I didn't direct it to anybody, and now I'm disappointed that I can only sit in the stands if the O-t server is the only server with players. It really upsets me every time when I get on Fortress Forever and find only O-t active. I have to turn right back around to find something else to occupy my time that I'm not in the mood for. I'm friendly in-game. You can ask people who know me. Even though I'm speaking their voice, I'm confident that I'm not one of those jackasses.
Your entire post sounds plausible, aside from this instance your account is clean. The ban on both of your accounts STEAM_0:1:11716758 and STEAM_0:0:5107422 have been discussed and lifted. Try to keep it clean from now on.

Scuzzy

Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Seriously if you're banned on O-T all you gotta do is ask about it in a respectful way, people... it ain't hard.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Tsukasa

Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: mimic-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Seriously if you're banned on O-T all you gotta do is ask about it in a respectful way, people... it ain't hard.
Unless, of course, you're against the very existence of such a server and believe the owner is a power-hungry egotist dictator.

Also, the number of bans is nowhere near 250. Add a zero to the end of that I think you might be close.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

This area is set up for a central location for players to come to and ask why,who,how come they were banned. This isn't a forum for a shit fest. It also serves as a place for server owners to get advice on admin mods, Problem players, server support in general. So please don't troll the threads for issues (personal vendettas) against servers.

If you have a issue with the server make a post specifically addressing the issue please.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
This area is set up for a central location for players to come to and ask why,who,how come they were banned. This isn't a forum for a shit fest. It also serves as a place for server owners to get advice on admin mods, Problem players, server support in general. So please don't troll the threads for issues (personal vendettas) against servers.

If you have a issue with the server make a post specifically addressing the issue please.
couldnt have said it better myself
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Old 08-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa
Unless, of course, you're against the very existence of such a server
Can I get a little more information on what 'such a server' means? There are many of un administrated no-ban servers out there... not sure why one teeny tiny 22 slot server with our rules is so offensive.

Quote:
and believe the owner is a power-hungry egotist dictator.
Who are you reffering to exactly? There is no real one owner of the server, and all members are equals clan, there are no leaders. A few of us pay the financials, and develop the software, but having 50 people all try to pay the bills would be a bit difficult.

Quote:
Also, the number of bans is nowhere near 250. Add a zero to the end of that I think you might be close.
FF has only been out for a year, its kinda silly to think all 2600 of our bans are from FF.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
ya Tsukasa went kind of nuts the last time this subject came up. He thought he could change my mind and make me against servers with rules, hes wrong.

See he just doesn't seem to like rules at all

Hes also upset that posts on these forums were deleted that had to do with him being upset about servers with rules. He told me that when he "requested" you to remove "to drop the word filter, as the bans are cross-game (tfc, FF, hidden), and permanent." and you refused he then started to advise people "to evaluate for themselves whether they wanted to support a server with such draconian rules."

I kept pointing out that he doesn't pay for the server and that OT and you can make what ever rules you want and that considering that there are 3+ million people that have steam at least then 2500 bans over many years over many games is not all that many.

I also pointed out that you guys give lots of warnings before you ban someone and that even the automated stuff warn people.

He said stuff like... "I don't want to play on his server. I just want others to be aware of it."

which I then told him that the rules are flashed up on the screen when playing.

He was mainly pissed off that when him and a friend were doing 1v1 on the OT server he still had to follow the rules.

Course I think my favorite part of the argument was when he went with this analogy...

Me and my girlfriend break up, I move to another state, I wouldn't expect the girls in the new state to "bitchslap" me because I broke up with my girlfriend.

My reply was

Quote:
If we go with your analogy that scuzzy was my girlfriend and I broke up with her and then I moved to another state. I wouldn't expect all the girls there to slap me everything they see me. Reason because Scuzzy doesn't know every single girl in that state.

If you are on Scuzzy's ban list you are not banned from every server in the world, you are only banned from the servers Scuzzy is allowed to put his ban list on.

or going with Me and Scuzzy breaking up, I would only be on the slap list of all of Scuzzy's friends, not every girl unless Scuzzy knew every girl in every state (or in my case province)
Quote:
And actually ya, if I got banned from a server, I would expect to be banned from all servers that person runs. Mainly because I've run into many idiots that I have personally banned from one server and they go from server to server that the person owned and caused problems on each and everyone of them.
And then there was this part...

Quote:
If you think that the server rules should be changed just because you're the only one there or you are there with just a friend, then you have no respect for people and judging by how you are starting to flame me, calling me a tool or having my head up scuzzy's butt then it just proves you have no respect for me or for him.

I would like to remind you of your own words that you said to me in the very first pm...
Quote:
P.S. If your reading this, I included you on the PM because I thought you were both interested and mature enough to keep this at an intellectual level. If your going to reply, no flaming, no personal attacks, reply to everyone (not just me), and do not quote the entire message (parts are fine).
Again judging by your last reply, you couldn't even follow your own request of me.

No wonder you were banned, you don't have respect for rules, not even your own.

Oh and no I couldn't reply to everyone because your name was the only one showing up, thats why no one else got this. So everything you read and sent to me, was not sent to anyone else. I forgot to mention this during the first e-mail.
Like I said he has no respect for rules, not even his own. Not once did I insult him, yet he turns around and starts insulting me just because I am not telling him what he wanted to hear.

This his last message to me...
Quote:
The problem is that FF only has 1 server populated, sometimes 2. I wouldn't care if this was any other game or if we had more players.

As for your remark about the reply all, I wasn't aware the recipients were hidden, and as you were the only one to respond to it, I didn't see any reason to quote you and resend.

Whatever, i'm done with you. I thought you might come around, but apparently my gut reaction about you was correct. You can reply to this PM, but don't expect a response.
Oh and normally I don't like posting private messages, because well they are private, but he wanted me to send to other people while replying to him so I figure he won't mind.

And if he does, oh well, he shouldn't have requested me to send to others if he wanted them to remain private.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Caleb I think you're all set, gonna lock this puppy now.

Scuzzy

Closed Thread