greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
so, stalker: Shadow was for 5 bucks on steam, i picked it up

but i REALLY do not like the healing/inv system. it pisses me off i need to go into my inv, heal, exit, THEN kill the baddies. IF i get hurt in combat, run back to somewhere, fiddle with stupid menus, hope they dont come over and kill me, heal, and do the same thing over again. Is there a way to like bind healing to a key or something?

Last edited by Ihmhi; 02-22-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Applying the new Other Games tags to a few threads.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I'm really thinking of getting this for $5, but I'm not sure yet, is there bots for mp?

Also on topic, I dunno about binds.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
There's a Medkit and Bandage bind in the controls menu. Its a major help.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
eternity94

I just got the game too.

I don't know why, everyone else says they love it, but the game just pisses me off.

The environment is bland, the gun play only works if you get close, but if you do that you usually die so easily, i love a challenge, but this is just annoying. The quests are very run of the mill in which it is; Go here, kill this type of thing. So far there has only been the generic person after generic person all with the same voice acting.

I don't know if it gets better, does anyone know?
eternity94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity94
I just got the game too.

I don't know why, everyone else says they love it, but the game just pisses me off.

The environment is bland, the gun play only works if you get close, but if you do that you usually die so easily, i love a challenge, but this is just annoying. The quests are very run of the mill in which it is; Go here, kill this type of thing. So far there has only been the generic person after generic person all with the same voice acting.

Rush through the main game, then download Oblivion Lost 2.2 and play it. You actaully have to survive instead of being invincible because you have a ton of bandages and orange Medkits.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
but i REALLY do not like the healing/inv system. it pisses me off i need to go into my inv, heal, exit, THEN kill the baddies. IF i get hurt in combat, run back to somewhere, fiddle with stupid menus, hope they dont come over and kill me, heal, and do the same thing over again. Is there a way to like bind healing to a key or something?
As Hirohito said, there are binds for medpak and bandage so you can heal without hitting up the inventory. Watch out when you use these, though - the game doesn't care if you're at full health, and it uses its own judgment when deciding which type of medpak to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
I'm really thinking of getting this for $5, but I'm not sure yet, is there bots for mp?

Also on topic, I dunno about binds.
MP bots? No, I don't believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity94
I just got the game too.

Bland Environments: Personally I really enjoy the environments in Stalker. The first area (Cordon) is a little run-of-the-mill, but the Garbage, Dark Valley, Yantar, The Bar, etc. are all pretty interesting in their own right. There's a lot of area to explore and a lot of ways to get around. But if you've seen one forest, yeah, you've pretty much seen 'em all.

I'd give it a little more time before you judge the environments too harshly, though. Later on it does spice up a bit.

Gunplay: I've had no real issue getting at enemies from a distance. It depends on what sort of weapon you have, though. You can't snipe with a pistol, obviously, but the spread on a lot of the guns can get pretty hard to deal with. You don't always have to be dead-on, and it's never a good idea to run into a firefight. Keep your distance, limit your shots, and when the time comes to get closer use a roundabout route or make good use of cover. If you can, try and get enemies one at a time.

Later on you'll get better rifles (including sniper rifles, and scopes for regular ones) that will help with long-distance combat and make life a little easier.

Quests and People: Aside from the storyline quests, the other quests are pretty much randomly-generated. Because of this, they stick to the Fetch Quest archetype (Get X Artifact, Bring Y Animal Part, Kill Z Stalker). However, the important missions usually get a bit more complicated than that.

While every NPC is a unique identity, there's pretty much just one voice actor for each "type" (Bandit, Loner, Army, etc.) and they only do a few sentences each, and written dialogue doesn't vary much (people just don't have much to say I guess).

However, the game isn't an RPG. It's sometimes touted as one, but it isn't at all. The game is a shooter - the quests are just excuses to shoot things. Think of it as Half-Life with more talkative NPCs.

The game definitely gets better as you go on, learn more about the Zone, find new areas and armor, etc. As Hirohito mentioned, Oblivion Lost is definitely worth getting, although I don't necessarily agree that you should wait for a replay before trying it unless you're one of those types that wants to run a game vanilla before modding it.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
eternity94

Ok, i guess ill keep playing, i do hope it gets better.

Edit: Where would i find the Oblivion lost mod and what does it do?
eternity94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
greenday5494
D&A Member

http://tinyurl.com/9dtet2

Old 12-22-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
^ Yeah pretty much.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Later on you'll get better rifles (including sniper rifles, and scopes for regular ones) that will help with long-distance combat and make life a little easier.
except for Pripyat (iirc)...facing off with the Eagle-eyed opponents with the Gauss Rifles was tough. Insane range...insane damage...the only saving grace was the longer reload cycles.

edit: I do like the game BTW.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #11
greenday5494
D&A Member

thanks for the help, guys. i got the binding to medkits/bandages work. I got the headbobbing removed, and i got FLOAT32 working as well. Now i have another problem. i really do not like the 50 KG limit that you can carry, and i know there's a mod to increase it. My problem? I try to install it, and the game simply doesnt not launch until i delete the file. :\

Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

There are some caveats with any carry weight mods, in that some of them flat-out don't work.

Here's a good tutorial to edit the necessary files yourself.

Works just fine on my Steam copy.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #13
greenday5494
D&A Member

thanks. I'm not looking to go up to 2000kg or osmething un realistic, maybe like 100 at most. its that ammo i need moar of it!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #14
maximi
pie
D&A Member

5$ huh... seems i missed it
maximi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
greenday5494
D&A Member

>.< It seems quicksaves now randomly do not load. when i try to load them, it crashes the game. autosaves work fine. i have no idea what's causing this. Does valve have any QA on steam, like, at all? I also cant play online, due to a difference in versions. i have 1.0005, they have 6. I cant update because steam is supposed to be automatic. gahhhh

edit: i tried -noprefetch, no solution, it still crashes when it's done loading a manual save, quick or not. this is pretty frustrating!

Last edited by greenday5494; 12-23-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Have you tried deleting it and re-downloading it?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #17
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Nevermind, I bought it. Disappointed I missed the $5.00 weekend, but $19.99 isn't bad. I'm a total pussy when it comes to horror games, so.. heh.. Shit. ;x

Last edited by Bridget; 12-24-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

It's not much of a horror game, although it does have its suspense and "jump out and get you" moments.

The suspense, though... rooting around in abandoned laboratories with psychic entities picking up discarded weaponry and chucking it at you or blocking your progression via crates, that shit'll get to you.

Greenday, try renaming/deleting the files you edited and see if it changes your loading issue.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
greenday5494
D&A Member

Yup, i deleted my gamedata folder, and it works now. Now i gotta add things slowly, and see what's up. I really physically cannot play this game vanilla, the headbobbing makes me very nauseous.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #20
greenday5494
D&A Member

gah this is really pissing me off. i get rid of all my mods, works fine, but pretty much unplayable, the headbobbing is making me feel sick. so i re-install the no-headbobbing, and of FUCKING course, it crashes when i load. This make NO sense, however, as it worked perfectly fine up till now. this really makes no sense, at all. this is ridiculous

edit: it seems it's ANY mod that makes it crash. any mod, no matter what. it worked fine before!

something else i've noticed: it seems quicksaves saved BEFORE mods are installed work fine. But, when i load saves that are saved AFTER, it crashes at CLIENT:Sychronizing, any mod at all, doesnt matter what.

Where arethe saves located? I'm going to keep them somewhere and just re-download this game. this is pissing me off to no end

Last edited by greenday5494; 12-24-2008 at 10:05 PM.