Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Ford

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
New guitar needed...

Hey guys, I'm a good guitar player and have been playing rock music closer to the metal side for about a year now. I've got a yamaha guitar which is pretty old now and I'm starting get the feeling its time for a new guitar. I've been looking at Gibson, Fender, and B.C. Rich guitars and so far I'm looking at a Gibson SG Standard, only thing is, is this guitar meant for rock/metal playing? or is it more the jazz type. I play lead and normal melody guitar and use XTREME Personal Processor Series Distortion pedal by ART. Some input from people who own this guitar or know about it would be nice.....thx
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Well the sg like alot o gibson guitar has that not very sharp sound, It goes more like WoOoOoOuUuUu instead of AEEEEEEE!!!!

So yah, It depends on the sound you want. If you wanna play fast shit i recommend getting a ibanez guitar, theyre easyplayed and you can get a decent distsound outa it. I'd say the SG is more for Rock N Roll, Chords and Overdrive. But thats just my opinion, It also has a fatter gripboard resulting in it being harder to play = cant play to fast = not metal imo.

Also the ibanez has a sharp sound and goes AIIEEEE!!!

I also assume you have a stratocaster rip off and its kinda the same gripboard(the ibanez) so you wont have to change your playing style.

Last edited by Coronius; 07-15-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
StrickNine

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Yes, I recently bought an Ibanex Gio, 24 fret. The strings sit low to the fret board, and makes hitting fast notes pretty easy. It sounds great with my Boss MT2 Metal Zone effects pedal.
StrickNine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Ford

well yea thats thing I play some fast leads too so I mainly want a guitar with strong pickups and a clearer sound. My pedal'll do the rest.

Ibanez, I forgot about them.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Go for the ibanez, and if you feel the pickups(theyre atleast 500% better than the ones you have) are abit to underclass and you wanna go metalgod get some EMG pickups, theyre the shit. While youre at it get a 5150 peavey top and youre set to play in metallica or whateva. Also get a good wire if you aint got one.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Ford

Oh and one more thing....

the explanations for these just praise these pickups doesn't really give me much info. Whats the difference in these pickups:

http://www.bcrich.com/learn_pickups.html

I like Rockfield™ Pickups SWV. I've played a guitar that had them and the sound was sharp and picked up hammeroffs really well. Thats mainly what I want in a new guitar

Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronius
Go for the ibanez, and if you feel the pickups(theyre atleast 500% better than the ones you have) are abit to underclass and you wanna go metalgod get some EMG pickups, theyre the shit. While youre at it get a 5150 peavey top and youre set to play in metallica or whateva. Also get a good wire if you aint got one.
ok I'll check it out
which one do you recommend?

Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Its just the sound really, the one you like is more of a wououou guitar picup while the others are more of an aieeee guitar picup. And of course the EMG is the pickup made for disting.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Ibanez GSA60 is a great guitar for a budget price its around 300€

But if you wanna go for something that lasts a while i'd go for the SAS36FM its more expensive but its really THE ibanez guitar. its around 500€

Old 07-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
Ford

right ok but the GSA60 doesn't have EMG pickups tho....

Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Ozzy

First off, are you wanting a new guitar because you want a metal sound, or because you want a nicer guitar? If it's the sound you want you'd be far better off with a new amp, which will affect your tone massively more than a guitar ever will. What amp do you have at the moment?

With regards the guitar, I wouldn't put the Ibanez SAS36FM in the same class as a Gibson SG. It just isn't the same level of quality. If you're going to go for an Ibanez with a trem (which to be fair most of them have) make sure it's a decent one (Edge Pro or ZR). The S470 is a really nice guitar for a not too bad price if you get chance to check one out.

What is it about the SG that attracts you though? The shape, the sound? The Ibanez guitars really are a different beast altogether. If you could tell me what sort of budget you're working on (I'm guessing about £800-900 if you're looking at SG's).

I wouldn't get too bogged down looking for a guitar with EMG's either. They're good for metal, but can be a little sterile when played clean, though the EMG60 is actually not bad there. There are plenty of other pickups which can sound great for metal too though, like some of the Seymour Duncans, Dimarzios or Bareknuckles (if you're feeling rich!).
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Ford

The guitar I have isn't like TERRIBLE... I've played on lots a different amps and it sounds not bad, just a little weak. The guitar I have is pretty old and beaten and the sound is less than what I want it to be...

Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Moved for obvious reasons...
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Gibson SG? Angus Young, say no more.
BumGravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Ford

OK im looking at this guitar:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S520EX

I haven't found a bad review for it hardly at all, every1 seems to love it for metal and even coutnry.

I just want to know if it's good for things like hammer-offs and fast picking, in other words are the pickups considered good here?

Old 07-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Ibanez SA260FM

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ima..._TLB_1P_02.gif

Got that one a little bit back, absoltely in love with it.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
Decs
Retired FF Staff

What about 7 stringed ones?

Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Any guitar is good for 'hammer-offs' and fast picking. A mistake that many people make is thinking that some guitars cannot be played fast on. George Benson can play circles around people like Steve Vai, and he uses big jazz-box guitars.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Get a 7 stringed Ibanez then. d:

Seriously, if you are playing Metal, Ibanezs just work. The low fretboard is just perfect for beginners and makes things easy on the hand for better players.

Me, one day I will get to play this:

My dad has one of the few Hofner guitars (not the bass that Paul McCartney uses). The frets are so damned high that my fingers nearly bleed when I play it, but the guitar sounds beautiful.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #20
Loader
>_<

Get one of these.

Loader is offline   Reply With Quote