Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Ubuntu 9.04 goes gold today!

not officially announced yet, but engadget got in early!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/23/u...-for-download/

http://www.ubuntu.com/

EDIT: okay, it's officially announced!

Last edited by mervaka; 04-23-2009 at 02:09 PM.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Yeah I have the option to upgrade. Need to find out what's so special in this version.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
Yay!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Kubuntu is also live.
I'm downloading it for a new VM. I wonder how KDE 4 is looking now-a-days.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Rawh
FF Whiner
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Lots of problems with this distro.

I guess it's really Ubuntu to blame. They announce their "new" version months ahead and do release on that date, even if there are still critical errors present...

Some nice knowabouts:
- Beware of corrupt data, seems the update corrupted my hdd and I lost a good partion of my flac music folder *palms fist in anger*
- It didn't recognise my laptops network card (wth? it did with the early version...)

I'm sure there's more stuff to find out
Rawh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Pull the Torrent. Most mirrors are hosed.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Rawh
FF Whiner
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
Pull the Torrent. Most mirrors are hosed.
Eu Archive mirror:
http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/ubuntu-archive/

Eu Releases mirror:
http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/ubuntu-releases/

Currently doing around 600mbit, blame Mozilla with their 4GiB release
Rawh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

<-- USA

Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawh View Post
Some nice knowabouts:
- Beware of corrupt data, seems the update corrupted my hdd and I lost a good partion of my flac music folder *palms fist in anger*
- It didn't recognise my laptops network card (wth? it did with the early version...)

I'm sure there's more stuff to find out
Since CentOS 5.3 released a few weeks ago I've seen some rumblings about corruption on EXT3 partitions. 5.3 also included the RHEL glitch wherein you ended up with a mess to clean up if you didn't update glibc by itself before applying the rest of the update. That was warned about in the release notes...but who actually reads those? (I do...)

They all seem to have their issues...on the brightside...you get to learn far more about your OS than you originally intended...wait...IS that a brightside? YMMV
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

i've had no such problems

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

I've had no problems with Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 so far. Of course I didn't update immediately when 8.10 came out either. I'll give it a good while to make sure everything is nice and stable.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
Phatman
n00bsauce

just got 9.04 on my lappy last night. Other than the usual stand-by power issue, it's running great. Boot up and shut down even seems quicker.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

it's supposed to be quicker

on the subject of linux, i'm thinking of trying out other distros/OSes like arch, solaris, and BSD on my "other" box, with just a console. i fancy making a box dedicated to DSP processing when i get around to it, so i need to explore some more cut down versions of unix/linux.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

just come across this. its not POSIX, but its FOSS:

http://www.reactos.org

Last edited by mervaka; 04-25-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #15
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
I was eagerly awaiting the 9.04 release of Ubuntu but I'm sad to say I switched back to Windows about 6 days before 9.04 was released.

I had been using Ubuntu 7.10, then 8.04, and then 8.10 since about November of 2008 and there were always a couple of lingering issues that kept me from fully enjoying the OS and it eventually came to a head and I said fuck it and reinstalled Windows. I'm now on Vista Ultimate and "everything works."

The main issue I had with Ubuntu was sound problems. ALSA + PulseAudio was pretty awesome but programs that were built against OSS sucked and thus required me to wrap them with padsp but they would still stutter hardcore no matter what settings I threw in Pulse's daemon.conf. I could get the sound semi-tolerable but it still stuttered and was choppy - especially in Windows virtual machines with VMware Workstation - and that's where I spent the majority of my day. If VMware Workstation had an option to route all sound through PulseAudio natively - like VirtualBox does - I'd still be on Ubuntu. (But, VirualBox doesn't have near as many features as VMware Workstation - especially the full screen add-another-monitor-option-to-become-dual-screen so I can't use it in place of VMware Workstation).

Anyway, towards the end of my Ubuntu stint I had killed ALSA and reverted to OSS so VMware Workstation worked fine but then I could never get flash videos to have sound in Ubuntu. And I'm not about to fire up a virtual machine to watch redtube *ahem*.

It's always one problem after another with Linux distributions it seems and there's only so many wasted days I can afford on trying to get stuff working based on shoddy documentation and buggy software.

I still do have a boner for PulseAudio and if VMware Workstation ever supports PulseAudio natively - and PulseAudio & ALSA becomes even better (like not sucking complete dick with Intel HDA sound devices) - I will switch back in a heart beat. Nothing beats the stability & security of a Linux operating system but there's always something I needed to have that I couldn't get working and that really hampers my productivity. And when you work from home 8 hours a day on a computer and part of that time is spent having to waste time trying to fix stuff that should just work out of the box in the first place it really kills your spirit and desire to continue using the software in the first place.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

pulse is still relatively new around the block. but people will eventually pick it up. i think there are still teething problems to be sorted out; the jaunty tests were taking the best part of these on the chin.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Somehow editing my post made a double post.

Last edited by Mulchman MM; 04-27-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Mulchman MM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

So, I'm back on Ubuntu. The Window stint lasted about 7 days or so... until Vista wanted to complain about some side-by-side configuration bullshit for every 32 bit program I tried to run. Oh well, I'm on 9.04 now and it does seem better wrt to PulseAudio. I also changed sound cards from Intel HDA to a more linux friendly C-Media something or other (as Intel HDA was a source of a lot of troubles for tons of people back on 8.10 with earlier versions of Alsa & PulseAudio).

Anyway - anyone know how to set up "Phonon" to use PulseAudio? I want to use the latest Amarok which uses some backend called "Phonon" but haven't figured out how to change any settings in "Phonon" - all guides are Kubuntu specific so none of the menus & options people say to use match up at all. I found an Amarok 1.4 PPA and am currently using Amarok 1.4 but it's locked up 3 times now while listening to my morning radio stream... and it's really annoying to have to jump out of fullscreen VMware Workstation & fire up a terminal to kill Amarok then restart Amarok and reconnect to the stream. I usually have windows spanning both screens in the fullscreen Workstation window so I have to readjust everything once I jump back in and it's extremely annoying to do this.

This is the 2nd time I've had 64 bit Windows die on me, though - the first was with XP and now with Vista. I can't believe I'm the only one who has strange problems with 64 bit Windows and I don't feel like I use the operating system in some strange way to warrant the mass disasters I've had with both.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
Phatman
n00bsauce

I hear ya on the x64 of Windows Mulch. It seems I can never get Vista to play nice even when I've just installed basic stuff on it. Ubuntu seems to be the only thing I can get to stay stable without going off on it. Even Fedora 10 64bit has it's issues. I just installed Windows 7 x64 and so far it's okay. The dell quick sets don't show the way they do in Vista, but that's fine with me. So far so good. I figure since there's a new Windows coming, may as well give it a shot and see how things roll on it. *shrug*

Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM View Post
Anyway - anyone know how to set up "Phonon" to use PulseAudio? I want to use the latest Amarok which uses some backend called "Phonon" but haven't figured out how to change any settings in "Phonon" - all guides are Kubuntu specific so none of the menus & options people say to use match up at all. I found an Amarok 1.4 PPA and am currently using Amarok 1.4 but it's locked up 3 times now while listening to my morning radio stream... and it's really annoying to have to jump out of fullscreen VMware Workstation & fire up a terminal to kill Amarok then restart Amarok and reconnect to the stream. I usually have windows spanning both screens in the fullscreen Workstation window so I have to readjust everything once I jump back in and it's extremely annoying to do this.
It looks like they don't play well together. Can't you use Rhythmbox, Totem, or xmms?