Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
X3: Terran Conflict

I'm a fan of space sims. I like building shit. I like hunting down people, good or bad, and making them die in painful and hilarious ways. So when I found X3, I though I'd found perfection in mankind.

The game is massive, on scale with EVE Online, but you actually fly your own ship in the X universe. It is just as expansive though. You can take part in just about anything in the game. If you want to build an economic empire, its there. If you'd rather hunt down pirates and end their miserable lives, grab a ship and go at it. If you want to make an armada and tear ass through space, killing everything that moves, its an option as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/

X3 isn't an impulse buy though, if you want to play it, you've got to be prepared to do some online research into how to play it. The ingame tutorial teaches you how to fly and the basic commands of using your ships but nothing about how to shoot a civilian transport full of expensive goods until he drops all his cargo. Or how you can open fire on a friendly military vessel and make them bail thus allowing you to claim it and use it for yourself.

If you were ever a fan of Jumpgate, EVE or any other space sim, you'll dig this shit, yo.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I bought it a few months before it came out on STEAM... I tried playing it, but like you said it takes quite awhile to get into the game since the tutorial teaches you almost nothing.

Unfortunately though, my computer pretty much died a few weeks later and I never really got the chance to play it properly, but when I can get my computer fixt, I intend on playing it again. I love the freedom that the game offers.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I want to try this, but I'm afraid it will be a bit too much for too little reward. Sort of like Hearts of Iron. I love games like this/that, but the amount of effort you have to put in to it learning it generally makes it all a tad too much like a job for me.

I mean, I picked up Civ fairly quickly. I'm no ace, but that didn't have the instantly insane levels of "what the fuck" that Hearts of Iron had.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Mario and 10 being Hearts of Iron, where do you think this would scale in terms of learning curve?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Its not has elaborate as Hearts of Iron but it will take some time to learn the most fundamental basics. Everything else you can scale up from there. I'd give it a 7 on that scale though. I've only tried the demo of Hearts and all I could do was oooh and ahh while I watched my forces get whittled away at amazing speeds, lol.

I've found a few good resources on the Egosoft boards, I'll share em in case you want to borrow the game for a trial. There isn't a demo that I could find, so that's what I've done just to make sure my PC can run it, which it can't, and that I would like it, which I do.

X3 Handbook of Awesomeness: Someone put this together from a massive amount of useful posts on the community forums. I haven't found a question that I couldn't answer with it.
Russian community site Has a map of the X3 universe, different search options for wares, ships, stations, asteroids, etc. I was kind of leery of it at first but I haven't found any warnings about the site, works well too.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote