Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 AM   #1
o_alligator

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
ff_nml

Well hello, it's Alligator again attempting to port a TFC map for FF. I have been working a lot on my mapping skills by practicing during my spare time and reading tutorials to understand the fundamentals of mapping. I am currently working on this map, assdm, and theegg (krustys idea). I have not much to show you for nml since I barely started mapping it. So far I only have the flag room pretty much completed (unless suggestions/ideas come upon). It took me a day or two to finalized what I currently have for nml (no man's land). I am going with a WW2ish theme; have many ideas in mind. Although I don't have much completed, I wanted to get the mapping-progress-thread going on. I am looking for the following to make this map more enjoyable and balanced:
*ideas
*suggestions
*comments
*themes
*constructive criticism
*etc
It is currently running with HDR (kinda messed my concrete floor into almost-black look - will fix when I have time) with Day of Defeat Source. Well, lets give your human eye a preview...enjoy:

That's pretty much all I have to say for now.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
o_nezumi

What's the shape of this map? Like, what rooms are we looking at?

Also, are you using a prop texture on that concrete floor that's turning black?

(The trim is cool btw)
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
o_afx

Good luck with the map. One tip though, Do not follow the original maps layout completely, it was basically unplayable from an attacking perspective due to the choke points.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
o_eat

Hoii Afx, no work today?

More specifically, the stupid ladder to the fr bit. Its just impossible to get the flag up a ladder like that.

Also I think you are using DODS content? Thats a bad thing because its not free so not everyone will be able to see it. And if you put the files in the bsp valve may decide to sue you.

We have a couple of veichles as props in FF so you can use the tank and then replace it with one of ours at a later date
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
o_d3pth charge

not bad... but why is a crosswalk leading into a garage door?
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
o_rival13

When taking screen shots, do it in spectator or atleast with a smaller gun. some of the shots are half-way blocked by that weapon. You are definately off to a good start.
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i like the brick texture used in the first shot. it works well. cant say i like the yellow/black stripes used in the second though :/
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
o_dr zauis

hey! thx for using some of my textures! I like what you did with them....keep going i think it be much better! Try working with couldnodraw and dev textures before you start texturing and finalizing the map.
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
o_alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
What's the shape of this map? Like, what rooms are we looking at?

Also, are you using a prop texture on that concrete floor that's turning black?

(The trim is cool btw)
You are looking at the flagroom. About the floor, no, I am not using a prop texture (concrete/concretefloor009a).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
Good luck with the map. One tip though, Do not follow the original maps layout completely, it was basically unplayable from an attacking perspective due to the choke points.
Yea, I do plan on changing a few things to make it more balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat
Hoii Afx, no work today?

More specifically, the stupid ladder to the fr bit. Its just impossible to get the flag up a ladder like that.

Also I think you are using DODS content? Thats a bad thing because its not free so not everyone will be able to see it. And if you put the files in the bsp valve may decide to sue you.

We have a couple of veichles as props in FF so you can use the tank and then replace it with one of ours at a later date
Yea instead of a ladder I plan on doing a ramp instead. I do remember that it was pretty hard to get the flag out . About the DODS content, most of it are placeholders (waiting for FF props).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnarf
lol, you said the same thing as geokill told me. I dunno, I guess it's there for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival13
When taking screen shots, do it in spectator or atleast with a smaller gun. some of the shots are half-way blocked by that weapon. You are definately off to a good start.
I'll take some more professional screenshots next time - these were kinda quickish. I alos had the rocket to make it tfcish lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr Zauis
hey! thx for using some of my textures! I like what you did with them....keep going i think it be much better! Try working with couldnodraw and dev textures before you start texturing and finalizing the map.
You did a great work on those new + improved textures! And yea, I do work w/ em.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #10
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Wow, everything I mentioned got posted already; told you so.
Except no one has mention those blue spot lights that don't look so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnarf
That's what I said but he won't listen

I told him to put burn rubber around the garage and the tank but in HDR the ground textures turns black so who knows if it would show up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival13
When taking screen shots, do it in spectator or atleast with a smaller gun. some of the shots are half-way blocked by that weapon.
I told him, yet again he did not listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
cant say i like the yellow/black stripes used in the second though :/
Well we tried so many textures up there that none of them look right. Some look too bright, other too dark that it did not stand out. In the end it was between the yellow textures and some metallic tin foil texture. I think the yellow texture came out better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr Zauis
HL2 textures did not work out for this map since this map is aiming at at WWII theme, a combination between your textures and DOD, it came out pretty good.

Good job on the textures btw

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
I was telling Gator about this and I suggested adding a security button to the map so Deffense can go trough the elevator but the elevator will still not be useable for the opposite team; it will work as a different path way to the flag room.

As for the stairs, It will be turn into a ramp. Also make the pathway between the elevator entrance and the resupply room wider?

Any different suggestions to end choke points?
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat
Hoii Afx, no work today?
I'm Ill :P
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote