Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the sniper be banned from CTF maps?
Yes, the devs should remove the sniper class from CTF style maps altogether. 17 16.67%
No, server admins should be the ones to make that decision. 21 20.59%
No, the sniper class should stay exactly as is. 23 22.55%
No, the sniper class should try to be improved by the devs to allow him to take on a better roll. 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Sniper: Removal from CTF maps?

People are always talking about the sniper class. It can certainly be an annoyance sometimes when you are trying your bestest to play capture the flag, however, it could also be argued that while the sniper class may not be that useful as far as defense is concerned, the sniper does has it's uses. Now, please read each poll answer carefully.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Now, please read each poll answer carefully.
Poll?????

But yeah I'm down for this

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
That is a dumb idea, really. I mean just because people get whiny about midmap snipers doesen't mean the class should be removed.. If snipers really become such a pain in the butt you should focus on making better maps with more alternate routes to the enemy base. That's right, I'm looking at you Aardvark!
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
mixer
Interzone technican

last-option, nobrainer, if the sniper is good enough to attract attention from the enemy team, then he plays a vaild role to pull pressure from the inbase-def. But the current sniper is ridiculous weak that he'll never be used in any clan-game.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
The problem with the sniper is not that he's weak. Last I checked a 1-shot kill could never been considered a weakness. It's just that he's an annoyance and doesn't fit with the theme of the game. I'm all for molding the sniper around the game instead of having maps molded around the sniper.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Foxtrick

The reason why Sniper could be up for such a satisfying hanging is because majority of the time in TFC we could deal with any sniper (unless we're talking Rock2 - old skool!) via the simple grenade. Now its not possible to dismember that fellow class at all, and they are not so useless at close fight scenarios(they still aint great but theres a reason for it).

Class limits are bad unless its for a themed server. Any league that employs class limits is also cutting down the lesser informed or more inventive clans, and generally taking away some of the fun. TFC was about random situations.. random servers.. random camping etc etc etc. I think that whole tradition was what kept it going so long.
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
The problem with the sniper is not that he's weak. Last I checked a 1-shot kill could never been considered a weakness. It's just that he's an annoyance and doesn't fit with the theme of the game. I'm all for molding the sniper around the game instead of having maps molded around the sniper.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
There's no reason to remove any class, including the sniper. If there is an unbalanced area, then we balance it and that's that.

I think the sniper should be changed up a little bit.

But it's more reasonable to leave it the way it is than remove it entirely. Of course, the most reasonable decision would be to tweak the sniper so that the class is more balanced.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Ok, I think the verdict is in on this one: 30 No's and 4 Yes'.

Thanks for voting everyone.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I think people are missing the point.

When I first suggested this, I had the idea that the Sniper doesn't work in CTF, just like the demoman doesn't work in Hunted.

Some classes don't fit some gamemodes, and I think the Sniper doesn't fit in CTF by default. If a map were made that better supported a Sniper's role, using Lua he could be added very easily. I just don't think the Sniper works in most CTF maps, nor should he have to.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
If snipers really become such a pain in the butt you should focus on making better maps with more alternate routes to the enemy base. That's right, I'm looking at you Aardvark!
you're completely missing the point. the problem with snipers is that on ctf maps they do basically sod all to help their team, but noobs don't realise this and think that if they get a shit load of kills midmap then that surely must be pwnage... this is a massive barrier that stops them developing as players, and stops them from ever really experiencing the core parts of FF's gameplay that make it so cool. so the problem isn't that the sniper is too effective atm, it's actually the exact opposite - and at the same time some newer players also find them annoying and frustrating to play against, so overall it's a complete lose/lose scenario atm. imo the answer is to revamp the class to make him into a decent longish range defence class (i.e. more effective at longer ranges than the existing def classes) that is actually a valid choice as part of an organised def, is hopefully not annoying and frustrating for newer players to play against, and that most importantly functions best as part of a team rather than as a lonegun.

i've been thinking about how to do this (while also keeping the ppl who rly like the way the sniper works atm and in tfc as happy as possible) for a v long time now, and i've finally got an idea that i rly like, so i'll talk it over with shok sometime and see what he thinks. if everyone keeps thinking about it then i'm sure we can come up with something sweet eventually.

Last edited by caesium; 03-02-2008 at 10:22 AM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
looking at the bigger picture, i think we can apply this theory of looking at what classes we should allow for each gamemode, not just snipers in CTF. i'm down with the idea though.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I think sniper matches with the CTF mode just fine. If someone's stealing something from your base and running away, you're going to radio the gun you have on top of the building to take him out.

Mold him after "The Usual Suspects" character Michael McManus, make him a good long distance guy, get rid of the "auto rifle" and give him a semi-powerful handgun that only has a bullet range EXTREMELY close to him, after that the bullet's have no effect. A sniper should never be terribly effective in semi-close combat. He should either be very far away, or have a hand-gun to your head.

Scuzzy

Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
As I said before, sniper should carry some revolver or Desert Eagle, whatever , but it has to do high damage with low rate of fire in close distance.
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i know, how about.... a sniper rifle?
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Sniper rifle isnt any kind of handgun.
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
betterschindt
Retired FF Staff

snipers are weak, that one shot kill your talking about only works for medic, scout and engineer and demo

a full shot cant kill a pyro, soldier or HW after the nerf.

maybe pyro but hitboxes still suck and always registers low

anyway my pooint is, snipers arent as powerful as all the complainers whine about.
they whine because they are dieing on route to flag. and last i checked, that was the idea of a ctf map.
so if a sniper stops you, makes you respawn and try again, that gives the defense time to rebuild that sentry, or get grenade pack etc...

just because clans dont use snipers, does not mean they are not useful.
and lets not forget, public servers are for fun. and cnipers sure are fun to use. hell try using one in tf2. they are a pile of crap, impossible to control and not enough cover...

one thing about ff is they kept what made the sniper so much fun from tfc.
if they change that a lot of players will be sad.

and i am all about getting rid of the ar, and even the nailgun, just give the sniper a pistol like people are saying. one that also gives bonus headshot damage, that would be the shit!
betterschindt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
If both teams have a sniper than they are too busy killing each other to really defend.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
kano

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
sniper needs to be improved much, maybe not to qwtf-level, but right now hes a joke. Then make the pyro a counter-class, almost invincible against sniperbullets, and suddenly both classes have a right to exist.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano
sniper needs to be improved much, maybe not to qwtf-level, but right now hes a joke. Then make the pyro a counter-class, almost invincible against sniperbullets, and suddenly both classes have a right to exist.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.

I'm still in favor of making the Sniper have an accurate, decent damage (super shotgun level) sniper rifle with a shorter charge time, lower overall damage, faster refire, and other bonuses for fully-charged shots. Something like stronger push, or a longer radiotag duration. Stuff that's been posted before, just combined in different ways.