Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Xproterg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Concing: From the past to the future.

It would be interesting to see what everyone remembers from the very beginnings of their concing days until now. Where can you see concing going in the future (any limits)?

The past for me: I remember getting into team fortress like seven/eight (longer?) years ago. A friend of mine showed me some gameplay in tfc. After the introduction to the same, I wasn't interested until I saw a video of some soldiers rjing around on 2fort. I started out rocket jumping (without quad) then looked online for some more tfc rj skillz videos to drool over. I stumbled across skillout and collateral discharge. I contacted Choas^vi and he recommended that I download vertical impact, which the vi team had recently finished. I was hooked after that. laf...Many hours of training with Choas^vi and a few other friends turned into one of my favorite late night pass times.

I remember people getting excited about the double hand held technique, and then the triple hand held technique. The quad conc is one of my fav memories too. ]{orruption and I spent hours and hours trying to perfect that.

Vi2 and void's video came our just before I stopped concing. I had plans and demos ready to release one last skillz video before quitting, but ran out of time.

My fav landed jumps: concland4b - fallax
bitchconc_r - #10
concmap_arsemeh - #3 + #4

Concing in the future to me: I think that concing physics allow for a substantial increase in jump difficulty for concers. All this time, we've been juggling down instead of up, and we prime and toss one grenade at a time while in the air. We could even stick the team back in team fortress and create jumps that give each player a set amount of concs before spawn, but the jumps will require more than what's given to one player alone so that you have to use two players to beat the jump (person number one concs himself and person number two to the half way point of the jump. person number two starts priming when person number one finishes with their nade. when person number two successfully completes the concluding section of the jump, he hits a button that opens gates at the beginning and end of the jump, which lead you to the next jump.) Concers might be more motivated to help each other progress in concing then. And to recruit. Just some ideas.

How about you guys? What's your story and where do you see concing in the future?
Xproterg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
diablo`-
Rocket p00nz

Class/Position: soldier
Gametype: skillz ;)
the learning curve for concing is pretty high. because of this, it pretty much never gets boring, because each hour you spend at it you get a bit better

the future? well, currently i've seen pretty much everything conced in tfc, even the jumps considered impossible, so if the physics are really the same in FF, i guess a new form of concing like the one you've suggested might be the future. but honoustly, i think the future is: attrackting new players and getting them hooked on concing
diablo`- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
The 2v2 skill(TFC) maps are a laugh.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Christ, I remember TRYING to conc and getting angry so often, haha. Then some guy named Flying-Eagle (Doesn't play anymore ) showed me how to rocket jump. it kinda just blossomed from there.

My favourite jump I completed was probably XTC J3, that shizzle was sexy ! Still, precision_-g1 is also something I was proud of, those jumps annoyed the hell out of people, to this day I don't think anybody was sad enough to try rocket that map besides me .

Has anybody landed bitchjump nn yet? I remember getting like, 5/6 rockets away from the end and then missing a basic rocket, stopped trying after that. <3 TFC many memories.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Menasor

The future of concing you ask? well i am unknown by almost anyone you can think of in the TFC/FF community of but i started about 3 years ago and i remember the 1st concmap map i ever played was concmap2 and that small vertical jump at the start to me at the time was like an impossible task but i observed others playing and kept practicing.
Time went on and i got better and hooked on the skillz part of tfc.
Like anything with enough practice once a hard thing became easy and now i can complete maps like concmap_vi4 and quad_rocket3 but still to this day there are many things i cant do.

We all have our story to tell and theres no doubt the skillz part of TFC/FF is incredibly fun and a one of a kind experience its sad to say i think we have seen all there is to see. Really what else is there that can be done that no one has seen before? And as much as i hate to say it people dont seem to care for the skillz part of it or even this mod outside this community.
In my opinion we have seen the height of evolution in concing and with little to no new people taking interest i think only the very few left still playing will take part in this dying activity.
Menasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
diablo`-
Rocket p00nz

Class/Position: soldier
Gametype: skillz ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
My favourite jump I completed was probably XTC J3, that shizzle was sexy ! Still, precision_-g1 is also something I was proud of, those jumps annoyed the hell out of people, to this day I don't think anybody was sad enough to try rocket that map besides me .

Has anybody landed bitchjump nn yet? I remember getting like, 5/6 rockets away from the end and then missing a basic rocket, stopped trying after that. <3 TFC many memories.
Didnt watch our video mule?

prec-g1 was done by n3c (except j1), he allso did the bitchjump, but unfortunately that jump wasnt included because he lost the demo and only had the clip he made of it himself. that included his own default rpg, sprites and a 640* Resolution, wich made the HUD look like 20 sizes too big. i wasnt gonna put that in. but he difinitly did it tho, i might upload the clip once.
diablo`- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Xproterg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor
In my opinion we have seen the height of evolution in concing and with little to no new people taking interest i think only the very few left still playing will take part in this dying activity.
Who knows what the future will hold. Hopefully the whole dying idea doesn't play out in reality. I still have a few years of concing left in me.
Xproterg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
myersjr

Honestly, i never got into the skills maps..i played a few..still havent quite mastered the conc yet..there is just so much to learn..real life takes precedence to be honest..i wish i had more time..
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote