Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
o_nuk3m

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
when there is a release....

release after TF2.
yeah i know this sounds crazy but, think of it like this

Dreamcast released 18 months before PS2, what happened? after the DC hype, all of a sudden, the anticipation for PS2 was released and then everyone jumped ship on the dreamcast and bought PS2's. everyone in this world wants a taste of everything, save the best for last, i think. idk a random post, but i think it has some merit.

even celeb's show up late to parties or whatever cause its like WoW look who it is! hehe idk just bored sitting on my laptop.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
o_deadly furby

Logical thinking but, I think the mob awaiting its release is too large and dangerous to ignore.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
o_binarylife

To follow your example; there were inherent flaws in PS2's production line which caused a recall and gave a great deal more numbers to its competetive systems.

In the world of computer gaming the fans are genrealy loyale to a game.
However, I to agree to some extent with your logic based on my own desire to try new, however simaler games.

This is of course assuming that to two games wont be so different ion style from each other that they will feel as if they are two different games. It may be possible that the two co-exist based on different players.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
o_nezumi

The problem here is that TF2 is the celebrity, not FF. FF would be the cult classic character actor.

Or something.

Anyway the DC didn't sell because there were no games for it. And I don't mean that in the 'there were some but seriously who would bother spending money on any of them' kind of way that PS2 and xbox had no games. The DreamCast had no games.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
o_kastofsna

yeah, it really helped nintendo by releasing the N64 a full year after the PSX.
o_kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
o_dancingfool

Comon Nezumi, there was that one racing game and Sonic, and.....and that port of Rainbow Six and....so yeah there were games.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
o_puppychow

ff needs to come out asap as there is a lull in quality mods being released...but on the horizon is nuclear dawn (http://www.nuclear-dawn.net/), sourceball (http://www.sourceball.com/), and caliber (http://www.calibermod.com/) - all promising mods, all look really cool and will take up players time, so i think getting out before those would be helpful.

in terms of tf2, again i think its important to get out there first, but when tf2 comes out, i fully expect a decent hit of FF playerbase that will last a month or two, after which gamers will go back to or stick with the game they like the best.

but its actually a really exciting time to be a gamer i think...so much will be available between fall of 06 and spring of 07.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
o_dancingfool

OMG PUPPYCHOW WTF?! YOU FORGOT INSURGENCY!

www.insurgencymod.net Site's down atm.

Last edited by o_dancingfool; 07-26-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
o_puppychow

meh, i didnt include it as i cant even look at another "realistic" war shooter/CS clone without puking. others may love it.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
o_dancingfool

lol, this one is realistic.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Anyway the DC didn't sell because there were no games for it. And I don't mean that in the 'there were some but seriously who would bother spending money on any of them' kind of way that PS2 and xbox had no games. The DreamCast had no games.
The DC did have a fair number of good games, though it was rather slanted to certain categories (fighting games, for instance). Off the top of my head: Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom (1&2), Sonic Adventure (1&2), Grandia II, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I don't think I could name that many good PS2 games in its first year of existence.

In my opinion, the DC failed for 3 reasons:
  1. Sega just wasn't that smart of a company. The Genesis was a big success (moreso in the US), but all of Sega's other systems had much more limited success.
  2. Piracy - the DC was absurdly easy to pirate games on. The fact that you could just DL an image, burn it onto a CD, and play (with no system modification) was a huge blow to the DC.
  3. The biggest reason the DC failed was pure hype. The first Playstation was a smashing success, and Sony promised the world with its "Emotion Engine." In reality, the actual graphics chip put into the PS2 was weaker than the one demoed. Also, it took almost a year for developers to figure out the PS2 - in the mean time, PS2 games were plauged by the dreaded "jaggies." These shortcomings didn't matter, though, since the DC was long since killed by hype.
Well, I went pretty off topic. Sorry
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
o_tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
ff needs to come out asap as there is a lull in quality mods being released...but on the horizon is nuclear dawn (http://www.nuclear-dawn.net/), sourceball (http://www.sourceball.com/), and caliber (http://www.calibermod.com/) - all promising mods, all look really cool and will take up players time, so i think getting out before those would be helpful.

in terms of tf2, again i think its important to get out there first, but when tf2 comes out, i fully expect a decent hit of FF playerbase that will last a month or two, after which gamers will go back to or stick with the game they like the best.

but its actually a really exciting time to be a gamer i think...so much will be available between fall of 06 and spring of 07.

holy cow i was looking @ the nuclear dawn media section...god those maps/models look sOOOoOOoOOooOOooooooooo detailed/pretty.
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
o_kastofsna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFool
OMG PUPPYCHOW WTF?! YOU FORGOT INSURGENCY!

www.insurgencymod.net Site's down atm.
WOW!! it looks JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER realistic FPS ever made!!!!!
o_kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
o_dancingfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
WOW!! it looks JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER realistic FPS ever made!!!!!
Naw aw.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #15
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Photoshop *cough*

Quote:
holy cow i was looking @ the nuclear dawn media section...god those maps/models look sOOOoOOoOOooOOooooooooo detailed/pretty.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
o_radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
people still fall for this trick?
o_radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
o_puppychow

ya there seems to be alot of drama with this mod and Dave L...whats the scuttlebut?

Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #18
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
Photoshop *cough*
I'll believe Nuclear Dawn exists when the game is released.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #19
o_addicted to morphine

Well, considering one of their mappers got hired over his tokyo map, I'd hope they didn't photoshop anything (I'm not counting sharpening images, because I know they do that) serious.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #20
o_industrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFool
lol, this one is realistic.
Thats what we said with doom 2; wow this one is so real. Now look where we are.
o_industrial is offline   Reply With Quote