KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Any zip file I receive, ever, gets extracted to my desktop into a new folder. Once it's been unzipped, I have a shortcut to my FF directory on my desktop, that way I don't have to to a bunch of clicking anytime I want to install maps and stuff. Then, I delete the zip file, and drag and drop the items into their correct place. Then I restart steam. Then I play new 1.1 dev of FF.

Not that difficult. I mean, who the fuck DOESN'T know how to use win zip? MY GRANDMOTHER knows how to use it...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #22
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I would think it would be the opposite for us seasoned folks. We all know that trojans, keyloggers and other nasties are included in exe's out there on the web so as a general practice it is always best to avoid exe's.

We all know each other here and we know that ff is not gonna put a nasty in the exe, but a noob who has been banned for ultimatly using an exe to install what he thought was 'skins' is gonna be leary of using our exe's.

To proove my point, I downloaded and installed some halloween mod just last friday but I am scared shitless to play it cuz it was an exe instead of a zip. I am trying to trust, but I dont know if I can cuz I really do have a lot in my account and I dont know if I want to risk it.

zips are wiser I always say.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
There was a time not to long ago that person was me. My only suggestion is to include a readme file for the people who don't know.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
Saint Thoth

As it is in real life, so it is on the internet:

Always bet on human stupidity, you will always win.

I sadly, know lots of gamers who can't make heads nor tails of a zip file, can't copy and paste files, and lots (LOTS) of gamers who can't find their Steam folder (hell, if I had a nickel for every time I’ve seen that support request – I’d buy Valve.) Plus very often n00bs will install stupid little things that unassociated their ZIP files. (And I'm willing to bet 80% of the forum goers here don't know how to re-associate their ZIP files, off hand, without downloading third party software)

Not all of these folks are retarded – they just often happen to be Console game players, Mac users, Vista users, etc. Not l337 like most of us people who can use forums and stuff.

I'm telling ya, when we got an exec installer for (mod I shall not name as per forum rules), we doubled our clientele, and frankly, as I suggested earlier, the computer literate folks tend to be even bigger asses than the computer illiterate folks, so it's a good way to add to the populous, rapidly.

Exec is smaller, kinder to server bandwidth, easier to use, and universal. There's no reason not to make em.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #25
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Is there a reason to not have both?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #26
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I too have a shortcut to my steam folder on my desktop...easy access and less clicking.

Also have to agree with catz I totally don't trust any .exe unless i'm really really sure who it's from.

Also what is so hard about using CoruS? It's free, easy and auto updates for future patches (1.1.1???) plus with Skyrider surfing the forums and uploading all sorts of fun stuff on there...(custom maps) it's almost insane not to have it!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #27
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
Is there a reason to not have both?
QFT
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #28
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
Installers are usually dumb and attempt to extract to a temp folder first then finally moving to the final destination taking up 2x more space than necessary. Dumb.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #29
Camphlobactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
I too have a shortcut to my steam folder on my desktop...easy access and less clicking.

Also have to agree with catz I totally don't trust any .exe unless i'm really really sure who it's from.

Also what is so hard about using CoruS? It's free, easy and auto updates for future patches (1.1.1???) plus with Skyrider surfing the forums and uploading all sorts of fun stuff on there...(custom maps) it's almost insane not to have it!
It's the same reason why I still prefer .zips. Other than not being able to see what files are changed, I hate the idea of having another game manager just for a mod of another game. I'm not the most tech savvy around, but .zips make the most sense.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #30
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Yeah I definitely agree that it needs some sort of tracking so I can view what files have been extracted...that would definitely be nice...other then that tho I really think it's a great program.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #31
Rider_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
There are those less fortunate among us, myself included, who do not have access to broadband at or gaming location. Downloading patches over 56k at home sucks compared to DLing at work from a pair of dedicated t-1 lines.

Please do not go exclusively to an autopatch system. zip or exe either one but don't make us wait to play like Steam does.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #32
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
crosus isn't a linux thing either.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #33
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
..but surely if you can use linux command line then you can figure out how to extract archives..

Old 11-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #34
asdaa

Seriously, how hard is it to unzip?!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #35
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i think in short, if you dont know what you're doing when extracting zip files, use crosus. it does all the hard work for you. the next update is aparently going to appear in the form of a .zip file and as a crosus update. this isn't the final word, but more or less what's going to happen.

Closed Thread