Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #101
o_player

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
But it looks unnatural; and just because it is in an arena doesn't mean you should slack off and leave it as it is. Use some common sense and some bloody imagination and creativity.

Laziness whilst mapping equals bad maps.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #102
o_stino

cutting a building out of a rock clif can look nice to, like this it seems that its just standing there and that the rock cliff is put trough the building later, is that building functional or just eye candy?

and i don't know if you know unreal tournament, but when i first saw your overview a thought of a map called Serenity, the canyon you drew loked like that, those ledges at the side of the canyon. it whould be great if you do it like that a bit, multiple heights in a same area does really add something to gameplay i think, you have to look not only in front of you but also above you (ok, serenity is just a little difference, like 2 or 3 meters, but could be more to :d
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #103
o_donny

Natural? Building a concrete support for rock wall (rock is way harder material) is just stupid.
Also there is no such stuff in the enterance to the play area and that doesnt seem to bug you at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
and i don't know if you know unreal tournament, but when i first saw your overview a thought of a map called Serenity, the canyon you drew loked like that, those ledges at the side of the canyon. it whould be great if you do it like that a bit, multiple heights in a same area does really add something to gameplay i think, you have to look not only in front of you but also above you (ok, serenity is just a little difference, like 2 or 3 meters, but could be more to :d
I have played the demo but I dont recall any of the maps.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #104
o_etzell

When ancient Incans blend buildings into cliff walls better than you, there's a problem.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #105
o_player

Rofl

Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #106
o_alligator

lol ..
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #107
o_nezumi

I love putting chain link fences over rock. It reminds me of the stuff you sometimes see on highways over hillsides with loose rock to prevent it from rolling onto the road. Plus there are a lot of good fence models in source.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #108
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Rofl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator
lol ..
Cant you +++ postcount whores find another thread to spam in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
I love putting chain link fences over rock. It reminds me of the stuff you sometimes see on highways over hillsides with loose rock to prevent it from rolling onto the road. Plus there are a lot of good fence models in source.
I dont know what you mean. Perhaps show a picture? At where I live there is no such highways, mostly forests mosquitos and lakes.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #109
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
<Insert Donny's constructive criticism rejections here>
Cant you listen and take on board peoples constructive critism?

Oh cool, I didn't know there was a post count feature. The fact is Donny, people are giving you tips on how to make your map look better and you keep on refusing and redirecting them and classifying them as nonsense so I thought I would quit trying to help you and laugh at what Etzell posted as he does have a point.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #110
o_donny

Quote:
Cant you listen and take on board peoples constructive critism?

Oh cool, I didn't know there was a post count feature. The fact is Donny, people are giving you tips on how to make your map look better and you keep on refusing and redirecting them and classifying them as nonsense so I thought I would quit trying to help you and laugh at what Etzell posted as he does have a point.
Im the artist here, if I dont like the idea that mona lisa should have a beard even the 5 guys next to me think that it's good idea, I dont. And in the end Im the guy pressing the button. So really, if I dont like the idea, get the fuck off my back.
Harsh enough for you to get the point?
No?
So let me repeat it once again;
If I dont like the way it would look it will not be there.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #111
o_player

You haven't even tried it yet and anything would look better than how you have it now as it just doesn't look right, or, as mentioned previously, it looks unnatural. You just completely dismiss all constructive criticism and say "I am ze arteest...".

And nothing will ever be too harsh, considering we are only trying to help.

Back to laughing at Etzell's last post.

Last edited by o_player; 06-18-2006 at 11:02 PM.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:54 AM   #112
o_kam

I think you and ambex should make a map together.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 AM   #113
o_etzell

If you don't care about feedback because you're the one pushing the button, why push the "start thread" button?
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #114
o_donny

I dont care much of the reviews, I only made this thread to show it around, not listen buch of leet kids still not getting the point, but heck, have your party, Im still not making it there.

Last edited by o_donny; 06-19-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #115
o_player

I get the point, I get the point very well actually; but we cannot help the fact that you will not listen to constructive criticism.

You see, you have a nice overview plan done in Photoshop with your elite mouse skills, then you go and ruin it all by not putting any effort into making things that, put simply, look stupid by making them look more appealing. And right. And natural.

Anyway, this will be the last thing I post in this thread unless I really feel the need to, as you clearly have no eyes. Or common sense for that matter.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #116
o_donny

Quote:
I get the point, I get the point very well actually; but we cannot help the fact that you will not listen to constructive criticism.

You see, you have a nice overview plan done in Photoshop with your elite mouse skills, then you go and ruin it all by not putting any effort into making things that, put simply, look stupid by making them look more appealing. And right. And natural.

Anyway, this will be the last thing I post in this thread unless I really feel the need to, as you clearly have no eyes. Or common sense for that matter.
I have been art school long enough to say if something looks good or not good if I add something there, and good stay away from this thread

Now let's finally get this topic back on track.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #117
o_ghost

What do you want us to talk about if you are going to have the attitude "It's my map and I'll do what I want!!" You just looking for people to say "gg, nice looking map."?
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #118
o_player

No offence meant, but seriously, you have been to an art college and you can't see what is wrong with this?

Quote:
Quote:
Now let's finally get this topic back on track.
And as far as I am aware, I thought when someone creates a topic on a map that they have been designing, it is to show it off what they have done, and to ask for constructive criticism of which we are trying to do, but you just tell us to feck off with our ideas.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #119
o_stino

maybe we have to wait untill lighting and texture blending is ready
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #120
o_player

It will still not look as good as what it can look like.